WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thoughts on the Yamaha YXZ1000R - anyone have one?

STV_Keith

Reaction score
How do you like it? Quality? What's broke? What sucks? What's cool? What upgrades have you done? How it is compared to a RZR?

Hammer

Reaction score
I was told the gear ratio in the trans needs to be reworked you can't stop or crawl up a hill. Good for wide open stuff

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I was told the gear ratio in the trans needs to be reworked you can't stop or crawl up a hill. Good for wide open stuff

It has a clutch, so crawling involves slipping the clutch unless you get the Rekluse clutch kit that kinda acts like a centrifugal clutch below 3000rpm.

Hammer

Reaction score
It has a clutch, so crawling involves slipping the clutch unless you get the Rekluse clutch kit that kinda acts like a centrifugal clutch below 3000rpm.

I know I was told first gear was really high. Like slipping the clutch wasn't enough to get out of hole

BigQ

Reaction score
Have had one about a month and took it out for the first time to Glamis over easter. All my friends have the Polaris XP so i am a bit of a novelty:cool The car is a blast to drive in the dunes. The brakes are HUGE, the trans can be shifted with no clutch at speed, the suspension has 3 ways to adjust with compression, rebound, and spring. The one thing i need to get use to is the RPM range. You think the car is screaming and then you look at the tach and realize you are only halfway through the 10.5k range! The car itself just looks simpler to work on, lighter and nimble. I think this may be due to no belt and cooling ducting. the gauge cluster is really an information center that can be set with different options along with the shift light:thumbup:. i sat in the Polaris, Can-am and the Yamaha and really likes the feel of the car while planted in the seat, lays back a little more then the others so it has a little more "sporty" feel.

I know that turbo systems are already out for all the way up to over 300HP (with internal mods) and that has to do with the fact the motor is very close if not identical in a lot ways the one used in the snowmobile, it's a proven power plant in various forms.

Anyway, not much info for one time out, but it is a blast to drive. I also can't really compare since this is my first SXS and i have not been offroad since my Honda 250R 26 years ago.:D

20160326_140413.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Nice, I'd like to have one.

Guys I know with them complain of the harsh ride, and they eventually wish it was an auto trans.
The two turbo guys are still perfecting it, some teething pains they are still working out.
One turbo engine grenade'd already.

I prefer a factory turbo or dealer installed.
I'd get the recluse clutch.

$3400 off is a great deal now.

I've ran against them (stock) up Dumonts Comp hill with our Rzr turbo and the Yami seems to flatten out about half way up and I beat them by a few lengths.
They sure look and sound furious.

I wouldn't make my selection based on a car length or two in a race.
The Yami driver position and build quality are streets ahead of Polaris.

We love our Rzr turbo, have 100's of trouble free hours and still on the stock belt.

Patyacht

Reaction score
There is a reason they just reduced the MSRP. The ones we have riding with us around Havasu can't go in some places like rock crawling like the RZR'S and Can-Am's do. I hear they are OK in Glamis but that's about it. Get the better clutch also.

JRS1939

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1459528930316.jpeg

Hellllllllooooo stock shock tower! !!

Reactions: TPC

BigQ

Reaction score
View attachment 475131

Hellllllllooooo stock shock tower! !!

Seen this and the car that broke is not even close to stock and it has been reworked from a crash; long travel desert race YXZ with huge tires, just a bit outside of design specs if I had to guess. :D

BigQ

Reaction score
There is a reason they just reduced the MSRP. The ones we have riding with us around Havasu can't go in some places like rock crawling like the RZR'S and Can-Am's do. I hear they are OK in Glamis but that's about it. Get the better clutch also.

I heard the same thing and the clutch going south. I have also seen pics of these things crawling pretty well even without the Rekluse. Some cars are being heavily modified also with clutches and gear reducers.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Don't have one, but driven them a couple of times .

Great car on hardpack dirt!

In the dunes you have to keep it boiling like a 2 stroke dirt bike.

Its "tippy"

UD

yz450mm

Reaction score
Seen this and the car that broke is not even close to stock and it has been reworked from a crash; long travel desert race YXZ with huge tires, just a bit outside of design specs if I had to guess. :D
The driver wrote that they "hit something really hard" , and apparently it was hard enough to knock the radio harness plug out of its socket. I would bet they stuffed the front end into a big whoop, and bottomed both shocks simultaneously. Doesn't look like they are running bump stops, so the full force of the bottoming out was transferred to the shock mount welds.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Tubeworks makes the 70% lower first gear and (i think) 30% lower over stock 2-5 range gear set. Included in the upgrade is the increased clutch oiling system that prevents clutch failure. Look up Tubeworks.com for info.

***also visit Wellerracing.com, they are a dealer, and ran that set up at this years King of the Hammers. YXZ crawling with no clutch issues. ***

BigQ

Reaction score
Tubeworks makes the 70% lower first gear and (i think) 30% lower over stock 2-5 range gear set. Included in the upgrade is the increased clutch oiling system that prevents clutch failure. Look up Tubeworks.com for info.

***also visit Wellerracing.com, they are a dealer, and ran that set up at this years King of the Hammers. YXZ crawling with no clutch issues. ***

The serious crawlers are running TubeWorks and the Rekluse is the way to go from what i hear.

Reactions: SJP

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I've had one for several months, put about 500 miles on it and love it. Great for hauling ass in the desert, up steep desert terrain, and dunes. As others have said here, the gearing is tall, but if you want to crawl, Tubeworks has a 70% 1sst and 30% 2nd-5th gear reduction, that comes with improved clutch lubrication and a tap for an external Trans cooler. Yxztalk is the most complete forum if you are interested.

Upgrades I've done...
1. Street legal kit for AZ.
2. 14x8 Method Racing Beadlock wheels and 28" x 10.5 Tensor Regulator tires.
3. PRP 5.3 harnesses.
4. Safety Cage upgrades
5. 2" wheel spacers
6. LED light bar

Planned:
Weller Racing (Desert Tuned) Suspension, complete exhaust, and ECU tune are all I plan to do.

image.jpg

BigQ

Reaction score
I've had one for several months, put about 500 miles on it and love it. Great for hauling ass in the desert, up steep desert terrain, and dunes. As others have said here, the gearing is tall, but if you want to crawl, Tubeworks has a 70% 1sst and 30% 2nd-5th gear reduction, that comes with improved clutch lubrication and a tap for an external Trans cooler. Yxztalk is the most complete forum if you are interested.

Upgrades I've done...
1. Street legal kit for AZ.
2. 14x8 Method Racing Beadlock wheels and 28" x 10.5 Tensor Regulator tires.
3. PRP 5.3 harnesses.
4. Safety Cage upgrades
5. 2" wheel spacers
6. LED light bar

Planned:
Weller Racing (Desert Tuned) Suspension, complete exhaust, and ECU tune are all I plan to do.

View attachment 480109

Did you do the WR tune yet? curious what you thought.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
No, I still haven't done that tune yet. Probably will send it in soon for the reflash and WR header and exhaust at the same time.

BigQ

Reaction score
Well this is how the Yamaha has turned out so far..

Cage
PIAA Lights
Alternator
Graves Pipe and Bench Tuner
My guess is will be putting in the Crower Rods, JE Pistons and ARP studs with about 12 lbs of boost.:thumbsup

20161203_144910.jpg

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Did you do the WR tune yet? curious what you thought.

Did the Weller exhaust, ECU, KOH shock revalve/spring kit, gauges, Rugged Radio and much more. Love everything I've done. Next will be tranny, need a granny gear for crawling.

bead

bead
Reaction score
Here is ours was some Mods, chromoly cage, reworked FOX shocks, pumper, radio, belts, mirrors, lights, 30" Mongrols/STI wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20170704_172024299.jpg
    IMG_20170704_172024299.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 304

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Dealers all swearing up and down factory turbo version to appear soon.
The Yamaha YXZ owners in our group are all dedicated Yamaha fans.
It doesn't have to be the fastest or coolest, just above average and most of all,, a Yamaha..