WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Popcorn Ceiling Removal

DrHW

Reaction score
Looking for quality work at a fair price. Same as anyone else I guess. :)

Good size job in Orange County. Remove wall paper in one room too.

Leave a PM with a phone number please.

Thank for stopping by.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I don't know bout the wallpaper, but member Plaster Dave does this.

Brian

Yellowboat

Reaction score
if you are going to be spraying texture anyways, if the paper won't come off easy( you will know in 20 mins), prime it in a oil base product, skim it out with mud and spray texture.

its done all the time and works great. often its way cheaper then removal. just make sure the paper is sealed good.

I'd do it for not a lot, but I am about 1000 miles way. just to have something to do would be great. I hate not being able to work more then a couple hours a few times aweek.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
How old is the house? You could be looking at big bucks!

We covered mine with shiplap. Gives the living room the cabin look.

We did the same thing with the patio cover. I'm to comfortable to get up and walk inside!

uploadfromtaptalk1459639291059.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I had wheeler to mine.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Both jobs I am on today just had it done. 2 bedroom 1000sq ft condo was $3350 scrape and float smooth. The other is part of a addition and double the size of condo price was part of package but around $4500 for 1800 sq ft house.

DrHW

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. The home was built in 1980 by S & S Homes. It has been tested, no asbestos.

It is real Lath & Plaster, wet it and it comes right off. Paint and done.

DrHW

Reaction score
The wall paper is an after thought as it is just one room. Me being a lazy I guess.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
built in the 80s with LP? are you sure its not just skimmed out blueboard?

even in the 80s lp would have cost $$$$$$

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. The home was built in 1980 by S & S Homes. It has been tested, no asbestos.

It is real Lath & Plaster, wet it and it comes right off. Paint and done.

OC or Fort Mohave? My folks house in SoCal was built in 78 and is drywall.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have never been lucky enough to bid one where they scraped primed and painted. If your lucky a little 20 minute and topping. Usually requires 1 full coat of 20 minute and 1 full coat topping then touch up with topping sand prime paint. Rental or on a budget 2 coats 20 minute sand prime paint done in a day. Or scrape it texture it heavy sand prime and paint.

If you just scrape prime and paint it will not look much better than the popcorn does.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have never been lucky enough to bid one where they scraped primed and painted. If your lucky a little 20 minute and topping. Usually requires 1 full coat of 20 minute and 1 full coat topping then touch up with topping sand prime paint. Rental or on a budget 2 coats 20 minute sand prime paint done in a day. Or scrape it texture it heavy sand prime and paint.

If you just scrape prime and paint it will not look much better than the popcorn does.
This is why I just covered mine up. Nailed some one by's to the ceiling and attached the shiplap to that. Whitewashed. Looks great. Same as my patio without the beams.

Easy easy. 👍

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
OC or Fort Mohave? My folks house in SoCal was built in 78 and is drywall.

I'm guessing East Lake Y.L.. S&S built a quality home, their claim to fame was Lath and Plaster.

As I recall it was '82 that the gave up on LP and went to drywall. People didn't realize the value of a plaster home and were not willing to spend the money on something they did not understand. Midway through a housing tract on Via Marwah they switched over to drywall and gave the people what they wanted. :thumbsdown:thumbsdown

There are 5 levels of interior walls and ceilings as far as quality goes and the first 4 are plaster or a variant of with drywall at the bottom of the barrel.

I've removed acoustic from a few dozen SS homes over the years with quite a few being in Y.L..

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I'm guessing East Lake Y.L.. S&S built a quality home, their claim to fame was Lath and Plaster.

As I recall it was '82 that the gave up on LP and went to drywall. People didn't realize the value of a plaster home and were not willing to spend the money on something they did not understand. Midway through a housing tract on Via Marwah they switched over to drywall and gave the people what they wanted. :thumbsdown:thumbsdown

There are 5 levels of interior walls and ceilings as far as quality goes and the first 4 are plaster or a variant of with drywall at the bottom of the barrel.

I've removed acoustic from a few dozen SS homes over the years with quite a few being in Y.L..

yep lp is so much better then drywall, just is so much $$$$$ its almost never done. its a real PITA to find some one that can actually do it well.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have a 1000 ft condo in Costa mesa, santa ana area I need to get this done. It is a rental unit right now so I cant go in it until the first of may. How much am I looking at for scrape, texture and paint?