WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Machining a plate for a steering rack and servo with belt drive.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
This may look like an odd set up, but it's pretty common for a 4 wheel drive race truck. The plate is standard .375 6061, and I am using it to mount a Howe steering rack and servo, utilizing dry sump oil pump pulleys with machined and fabricated hubs to match the spline drive on the components. The offset on the idler pulleys is to create more belt wrap on the smaller pulley, and the 3rd idler is on a slider for tension adjustment. Not shown (and not built yet) is the tension adjuster assembly for that pulley. This all packages into the front frame forward of the differential, allowing space for a "rack adapter", that will connect to the tie rods. The belt shown in the photos is for measurement only, and Jones Drive Systems will make the correct size belt, with a 1.125" width. Sorry I did not get photos of the process, but it was all built with a band saw for the outer shaping, and a standard 9x36 manual Bridgeport mill. The servo (part that controls fluid flow to the ram assist on the steering rack) registers in the plate, and is mounted by a small billet 90deg. bracket attached to the plate. Photos are out of order, but you get the idea...

IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2368.JPG IMG_2367.JPG IMG_2366.JPG IMG_2365.JPG IMG_2364.JPG IMG_2363.JPG IMG_2374.JPG

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Funny, my brother just sent me a bunch of pictures of one of Scott's Pro4s in the same stage today.....

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Sent me the same ones...Chris said life was good for you, Heather, Chuck and Linda-Glad to hear!

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Sent me the same ones...Chris said life was good for you, Heather, Chuck and Linda-Glad to hear!
Funny how kids do that, filter the bullshit friends out and have a better relationship with the parents..! looks like you're doing good too, stalked your IG..lol I'm sure we'll see each other in the pits soon..