WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tandem Ellis trailer to a tripple?

DEROOSTER

Reaction score
For those of you that had a Tandem Ellis trailer and turned it into a triple, Did the original 2 axles move in order to keep the tongue weight at the optimal ratio?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
regardless of manufacturer you may have to move axels. I turned my Original Spectra trailer into a triple and I moved the rear axel back to get everything underneath. With out moving back the front axel was way too far forward.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
For those of you that had a Tandem Ellis trailer and turned it into a triple, Did the original 2 axles move in order to keep the tongue weight at the optimal ratio?

So, What kind of boat is on it, and does it NEED 3 axles?

If you exceed 10,000# GVW you will need to get a CDL

Again, does it need it?

Dan'l
Running a 3 axle, 18000# GVW without a CDL and I know it...I am illegal...green card me...

Backlash

Reaction score
As my Howard will have a whacker hanging on the back, most of my weight is further towards the transom. For me, I'm leaving the front axle in the same location and adjusting the axle placement from there. Adding to the overall length of the trailer and installing the third axle where it needs to be.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I used Bob for the trailers . IF Bob built your trailer ......

IF the trailer has 'reasonable balance' with two axles, going to three will just 'split the difference' .

The second axle will 'center' where the old 'pivot' between the (2) axles was mounted . Then the front axle goes forward from that center axle, and the last one goes behind .

It's all relative when you consider 'spring lengths', and where the boat (gross weight) has good tongue weight .

Mount all the hangers and perches onto a couple of steel angle pieces, then 'slide' them forward and back to get a 'reasonable' tongue weight . I like 15% to 20% of gross weight . This way it runs 'smoothly' at 75/85 in the wind .

MEASURE the placement of the axles from THE COUPLER, not just from the rear cross member (s) !!!