WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Jeep Grand Cherokee? Opinions?

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
It's time for my wife to get a new ride. We drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude with the 3.0 Eco Diesel. My wife and I both like it.
Image1462230908.986702.jpg
If you know anything about them good or bad your opinion would be greatly appreciated before I go drop the coin.

Thanks -Ryan

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My BIL has one with the gas V6. He loves it.

I drove it for a minute and I gotta say, I was impressed with it.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
It's time for my wife to get a new ride. We drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude with the 3.0 Eco Diesel. My wife and I both like it.
View attachment 481945
If you know anything about them good or bad your opinion would be greatly appreciated before I go drop the coin.

Thanks -Ryan

Every Jeep I have bought has been in the shop a lot, but I still am not smart enough to stop buying them. My last 2011 has an inch thick folder of service warranty receipts from the dealer. My new 2015 Jeep Rubicon makes more noise than a 1995 Pontiac with 250K miles on it.... but I keep buying them.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
In 1998 I bought a Grand Cherokee Limited new with every option available. Loved it, but it was in the shop for everything, I mean everything. That thing bled me dry, and was a terror to drive over 70MPH. But it looked great... :)

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
When I drive a Grand Cherokee, I just make sure to have my cell phone with me.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
View attachment 481945

Thanks -Ryan
Bought my wife one, she loves it. Solid 28mpg hwy, 19 speakers tows 7000. Very happy with it uploadfromtaptalk1462232081211.jpg

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I leased a 2014 for my wife. We put 45,000 miles on it over the past 3 years. Turning it in within the next week or so. Been a pretty good car. V6 with the 8 speed trans. Trans is not great. The thing "lurches" twice every time you start moving forward if it is cold. Annoying but since it was a lease we have always said fuck it, they'll deal with it when it's turned back in.

We moved on to a Yukon.

DMF

Reaction score
We leased a 2012 charcoal gray altitude edition with the v6 for the wife. She put 45,000 miles on it without any issues what so ever. We changed the oil in it and that was it. We turned it in with the stock tires still on it. She liked it so much that we bought her a 2015 White altitude edition with the v6 in it. She now has 15,000 miles on it and we have not had 1 problem with it. We like them and I would say to go for it!

RodnJen

Reaction score
I don't own one but I do have a mid-sized SUV with a 3.0 diesel and we absolutely love it. I like all the diesels in the size range - MBZ, BMW, VW and the Jeep. I've driven ours with a family of four, storage pod and four rail bicycle rack for several thousand vacation miles and it is a great road vehicle that gets respectable mileage.

It's my wife's daily and after 4+ years she wouldn't trade it for anything.

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
$51k Fords are why Mercedes-Benz is selling the shit outta their $30k GLE's and CLA's

Shit the GLE we looked out was 61k. The only reason I refuse to get an explorer is because local PD just obtained 35 of them! They're everywhere in town and most of them are cops...

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses. I am torn between the Eco Diesel and the Hemi 5.7. Hemi has more power and s rumble but the Eco Diesel gets great mileage.

Have you guys had or heard of issues with the new Eco Diesel??

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Shit the GLE we looked out was 61k. The only reason I refuse to get an explorer is because local PD just obtained 35 of them! They're everywhere in town and most of them are cops...

You're right...their new nomenclature is confusing. I should have stated GLA and GLC.

530RL

Reaction score
$51k Fords are why Mercedes-Benz is selling the shit outta their $30k GLE's and CLA's

You're right...their new nomenclature is confusing. I should have stated GLA and GLC.

GLE's with the big motor are north of 100k. :yikes

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

Here are a ton of consumer views of the Grand Cherokee.

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2015/suv/consumer-reviews/

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses. I am torn between the Eco Diesel and the Hemi 5.7. Hemi has more power and s rumble but the Eco Diesel gets great mileage.

Have you guys had or heard of issues with the new Eco Diesel??

Both optional engines are unnecessary, IMO... Picked up a Laredo E V6 with nav for the Better half around Christmas... She loves it... High teens low 20's in town... Low to mid 20's highway at 80+... 30 mpg at 65-70 on level ground, best road trip vehicle we have owned. And every bit as quick as the '13 Camaro V6 (manual trans) we traded in on it... She wanted the SRT8 but it wasn't worth the extra coin, we were around 30k for ours, best value on the market... Debadged and with some new wheels it looks like a Range Rover for a third the cost... If the reliability becomes an issue we will trade it after the bumper to bumper expires...

lenmann

Reaction score
The wife drives a 2014 GC Overland. By far the worst car we have ever owned. Its been through two Body Control Modules, continues to have mystery electrical anomalies (won't start, won't recognize key fobs, warning chimes with no warning message, auto seat position works erratically), and for some reason it eats left front headlights (4th one since new).

I get a solicitation a couple of times a month from attorneys assembling classes of GC owners for lawsuits. I don't think Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat have the advanced electronics integration thing figured out.

The Ford explorer will get a hard look next time.

hold_j

Reaction score
I've been looking into a new GC also but the hemi only because it would have to tow my boat 247 ultra. Any body tow with there's ?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My sister in-law has one. Not sure if it's a 14 or a 15. But they love it. Really comfortable ride and interior is quiet nice. I don't think it's been in the shop at all since they bought it (bought it brand new btw). But I do know quiet a few others that have had GC and other Jeeps with TONS of issues but yet they keep buying them. I think they may be a bit more hit and miss than others on the road.

PLACECRAFT20

Reaction score
We had one for a year with diesel. Plenty of power, great mileage. Was in the shop once a month for check engine light. Left Holly driving 15mph home one day. They always updated the computer and fixed it for a month or so then back to the dealer to update again. We finally took our ass wipping and traded it for a 2016 mustang gt. I wish we would have bought the hemi and not the diesel, we would still be driving it.
I would not take the Diesel out of town because I was afraid of having to walk home!

spectras only

Reaction score
Had four Cherokees, 1985 2.1 turbo diesel, great SUV. 1990 Limited 4.0L straight six with only one issue, the radiator replaced with dual core aftermarket, no other problems.1998 GC LTD with 5.2L V-8 with only one issue, trans modulator [ $300 part ] Now, wife's 2010 GC LTD 5.7 Hemi, no issues other than fuel milage sucks but oh well.:)
So yes, I'd buy another Jeep GC. :thumbup:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Had a 2005 grand Cherokee, and gave us very few issues. Biggest issue was some shift sensor that took us back around $800 when it was out of warranty. sold it at 100K miles.

wife now drives the 2015 altitude V6... 15K miles so far, no issues. She loves it.

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
I have went back and forth 10 times in the last 12 hours.. I think I've made my mind up on the motor and then I read something else and it changes my mind.
Right now I am leaning towards the more powerful and proven Hemi v8. I will sacrifice the gas mileage but I won't have to have worry about issues as much as I will with the Eco Diesel.
My wife only drives 8-9000 miles a year so gas mileage doesn't make that big of a difference one way or the other.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have went back and forth 10 times in the last 12 hours.. I think I've made my mind up on the motor and then I read something else and it changes my mind.
Right now I am leaning towards the more powerful and proven Hemi v8. I will sacrifice the gas mileage but I won't have to have worry about issues as much as I will with the Eco Diesel.
My wife only drives 8-9000 miles a year so gas mileage doesn't make that big of a difference one way or the other.

If its something you are gonna keep long term (think out of warranty) i'd stay away from most of the new diesel vehicles out there. Great mpg and power, but so complicated you would rather figure out a strippers daddy issues than repair one

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
View attachment 481945

Thanks -Ryan

I think the diesel is pretty close to an optimum SUV for me and is the target replacement for my lexus RX400H.

Its got it all

Range
Towing
True offlroad performance if properly equipped
Luxury

Uncle Dave

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
I ended up going with the 5.7 liter Hemi v8. My final decision was made based on what the service manager and mechanic from the dealership had to say about the two motors. Before I asked their opinion of the motors, I told them I wanted a straight answer and what they what they told me would not get back to anyone else in the dealership.. They both said the Eco has to many issues with emissions, software and check engine lights.
My wife and I are excited. The Hemi has considerable more horse power which is never a bad thing!

Thank you all for your input

Ryan Shaw