WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Does a sub contractor get tipped?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
We're getting hardwood floors installed this week. Working with a friend who owns a floor shop who subbed out the install.
I want to give the installer a little something just not sure if it's the norm. He's done a lot in just a few days and it shows he knows what he's doing.
Image1462411563.472985.jpg
Image1462411580.757494.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
Its up to you if you are happy go for it the installer will appreciate it as i am sure they may not expect it.

I work with contractors every day there are some who like my work and will tip me.Most times its 5-10 bucks some have been 50 and 100 bucks.I am not the owner the contractors know that but i am the one doing the work for them.I also dont expect tips some days it just happens and its great to go and grab a lunch especially if i forgot my money that day.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
If I'm happy as the homeowner I throw a few bucks the subs way. I make sure its distribution is my way.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
That's where I'm at just not sure how much. Don't want to insult but we're spending a lot so don't want to over-do either.

My guys are happy with just getting lunch from a client. So anything is a plus. I would give all the workers a 20 but you don't tip the owner.

Joker

Reaction score
I've never received a tip, nor would I give Plaster Dave a tip but I would tip his workers.[emoji1]

Demoman

Reaction score
You should always tip the demolition contractor for starting the job off on the right foot. No need to tip anyone else after that.

nrbr

Reaction score
We have a concrete finisher sub that had an older woman ask if she could "work off " some of her invoice while they were still finishing. He hit his guys up asking if anyone wanted to forego the days pay to have at it. Nobody volunteered. So he took a couple hundred bucks off to have her sunbathe top less nearby. I always Crack up when I think of that story

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I did a BBQ for the subs who worked on my pool. I always had soda and water in an ice chest too. I would only tip a sub if I wanted something little changed or redone. Everyone is happy.

Always Floored

Reaction score
I am a flooring guy I get tips all the time. I never expect it, but it's nice to feel appreciated. If you think they deserve by all means tip them.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I always tip if I'm happy with someone's service.

I should tip you , for all ur floating slams on smoker. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji202]

Napanut, do what u think is right in ur book. I have supplied a lot of homes with fresh milk over the years and not one tip ,,,

Jus sayin [emoji41][emoji202]

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I am a flooring guy I get tips all the time. I never expect it, but it's nice to feel appreciated. If you think they deserve by all means tip them.

This guy definitely deserves something. I don't know shit about flooring but I can tell this guy knows what he's doing. He's doing a great job.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
This is how much I was thinking.
It's one guy working all week. I was just wondering if that's enough.

This guy definitely deserves something. I don't know shit about flooring but I can tell this guy knows what he's doing. He's doing a great job.
I am big on tipping when someone goes above and beyond..........I had a painter I used all the time in So Cal and he was so meticulous that there was always an extra ~10% for him when I wrote the check..........and amazingly enough he always called back when I needed another job done.

I think tipping is simply salting the waters with good tradesmen.........so many just want to do the "Get By" that when you find a good one you should take care of them not only for yourself but for the next guy as well.....my .02

BTW......That floor looks awesome:thumbsup:thumbsup

82daytona

Reaction score
I am big on tipping when someone goes above and beyond..........I had a painter I used all the time in So Cal and he was so meticulous that there was always an extra ~10% for him when I wrote the check..........and amazingly enough he always called back when I needed another job done.

I think tipping is simply salting the waters with good tradesmen.........so many just want to do the "Get By" that when you find a good one you should take care of them not only for yourself but for the next guy as well.....my .02

BTW......That floor looks awesome:thumbsup:thumbsup

You've never tipped me?! [emoji12]
My guys get tips very often but I never do [emoji22]

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I always tip someone if they do a good job. Shows them that I appreciate them doing a good job.
IT doesn't have to be much, just something to show your appreciation.
A starbucks gift card, 30 pack of beer, whatever.

Singleton

Reaction score
I tip subs when they do well. Usually through gift cards for food and beer.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
You've never tipped me?! [emoji12]
My guys get tips very often but I never do [emoji22]

True.....I never tip the owner.....especially owners with bitchin' boats.....I just send them lots of business :D