WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Brisket for Beginners

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
Thanks to Wash 11 we had a 8/lb Brisket to cook. :thumbsup So my wife and I decided to try a recipe from the Traeger Cook Book called "Brisket for Beginners". It said it was an 7 to 8 hour process and don't get impatient. :rolleyes Basically you put on your seasoning and put it fat side up on the grill and set it to smoke (3 to 4 hours). The recipe also called out using a "Mop Sauce", it consisted on 1/2 beer, 1/4 cup apple vinegar & 2 tbls of worcestershire sauce. Ever hour I sprayed it with the mob sauce. After 4 hours of smoking I turned the grill to 225 degrees and continued to apply the mop sauce. After 8 hours we checked the temp and it was at the desired temp of 190 degrees. After that you remove it rap it in tinfoil and then a towel to hold in the temp for a 1/2 hour. After all that here is what it looked like.

20160508_175258.jpg

It turn out amazing. I have never spent this much time cooking anything before but like the recipe said "It was worth the wait". It melted in your mouth, and you could cut it with a fork. I know I have said this before but the Traeger just keep amazing me and it is so easy to use. Can't wait for some leftovers tonight! :thumbsup

236eagledave

Reaction score
That looks incredible! I had some brisket Saturday that a friend cooked out in the desert. Had his Traeger and a portable generator at camp. Came out super tender. I'm sold on the Traeger. So much easier to hold temperature on than a offset smoker using charcoal. Going to have to start looking for one.

KevinR

Reaction score
Thanks to Wash 11 we had a 8/lb Brisket to cook. :thumbsup So my wife and I decided to try a recipe from the Traeger Cook Book called "Brisket for Beginners". It said it was an 7 to 8 hour process and don't get impatient. :rolleyes Basically you put on your seasoning and put it fat side up on the grill and set it to smoke (3 to 4 hours). The recipe also called out using a "Mop Sauce", it consisted on 1/2 beer, 1/4 cup apple vinegar & 2 tbls of worcestershire sauce. Ever hour I sprayed it with the mob sauce. After 4 hours of smoking I turned the grill to 225 degrees and continued to apply the mop sauce. After 8 hours we checked the temp and it was at the desired temp of 190 degrees. After that you remove it rap it in tinfoil and then a towel to hold in the temp for a 1/2 hour. After all that here is what it looked like.

View attachment 483446

It turn out amazing. I have never spent this much time cooking anything before but like the recipe said "It was worth the wait". It melted in your mouth, and you could cut it with a fork. I know I have said this before but the Traeger just keep amazing me and it is so easy to use. Can't wait for some leftovers tonight! :thumbsup

That's awesome. Congrats. I've done three beef briskets and still not happy. Getting better but still a ways to go.

dave29

Reaction score
That looks incredible! I had some brisket Saturday that a friend cooked out in the desert. Had his Traeger and a portable generator at camp. Came out super tender. I'm sold on the Traeger. So much easier to hold temperature on than a offset smoker using charcoal. Going to have to start looking for one.

I had the same problem holding temps on my Yoder offset. A friend told me about "BBQ Guru". Digital controller with a fan. Tried it out and it's a new ballgame. This thing really kicks ass. I was going to sell my smoker but now it is so easy to use.

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
I had the same problem holding temps on my Yoder offset. A friend told me about "BBQ Guru". Digital controller with a fan. Tried it out and it's a new ballgame. This thing really kicks ass. I was going to sell my smoker but now it is so easy to use.

Kinda funny but that is exactly how the Traeger works. It uses a fan and automatically feeds wood pellets in to control the temperature.

dave29

Reaction score
That's awesome. Congrats. I've done three beef briskets and still not happy. Getting better but still a ways to go.

I inject mine with a mix of beef broth, soy sauce and Worcestershire.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
My first brisket.

Smoked for 8 hours, let it sit wrapped in foil , in a towel and in a cooler for an hour. Awesome...great flavor and super tender. Don't mind the dog lurking in the background, he liked it too!

My wife wanted bbq sauce, it didn't need it and I skipped mine but she made the plate. [emoji39]

IMG_5842.jpg
IMG_5843.jpg
IMG_5844.jpg IMG_5846.jpg