WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Shockwave Boat Build Looking for Guidance

Deano

Reaction score
One thing I have learned is always go with the biggest power you can afford and then go up one more.
Not so much for top speed, but for lower rpm's where you want your speed to be at cruise.
You load that boat up with people and head down the lake at 45mph, you'll be above 4k rpm.
Higher rpm at cruise is higher stress on my brain. Get a big engine and relax:)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
One thing I have learned is always go with the biggest power you can afford and then go up one more.
Not so much for top speed, but for lower rpm's where you want your speed to be at cruise.
You load that boat up with people and head down the lake at 45mph, you'll be above 4k rpm.
Higher rpm at cruise is higher stress on my brain. Get a big engine and relax:)

True, but in that setup the 8.2 HO will be purrfect.

RCDave

Reaction score
I had a 2003 Tremor close bow with a 496HO. With a box stock 23P rev-4 prop, it GPS'd at 55mph at 4K rpm.

RCDave

Reaction score
40 at 3k?

Sounds about right.

Light load GPS top speeds were:
71-72mph with a box stock 23P Rev4

71-72mph with a labbed 24P bravo 1

72.8mph with a labbed 25P Mirage Plus.

Overall the Rev 4 was best with good holeshot, efficient cruise, and top end.

I didn't care for the bravo 1. It was good out of the hole but didn't carry the bow as good as the rev-4. Consequently resulted in a rougher ride. It only cruised 50mph at 4K rpm.

The Mirage Plus was a rocket in the midrange, best top end prop, and resulted in great top end handling. But would blow out in hard turns under mid/hard accel.

Deano

Reaction score
What were the real world 6 people, ,full coolers, and full fuel numbers?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Our build is in the from the mold section. If I were to do it again today I'd do everything the same except I'd upgrade to a 520 and add steering and tabs. Since I went w the 8.2 mag I'm considering doing the tune to make it the ho. If I were u and set on on 8.2 in save the 5 or 6k and get the mag and do the tune for 1500

emmjay32

Reaction score
Our build is in the from the mold section. If I were to do it again today I'd do everything the same except I'd upgrade to a 520 and add steering and tabs. Since I went w the 8.2 mag I'm considering doing the tune to make it the ho. If I were u and set on on 8.2 in save the 5 or 6k and get the mag and do the tune for 1500

yur saying the 8.2 mag can be tuned to the HO for only 1500?

Is there added stress? What is the downside to just buying the HO.aside from the 3500 in savings

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
yur saying the 8.2 mag can be tuned to the HO for only 1500?

Is there added stress? What is the downside to just buying the HO.aside from the 3500 in savings

From what I recall talking to someone at the boat show last year. Tuning it makes it a little better performing than the ho. I guess the downside would be it has to run on 91 after the tune instead of 87. Only thing I need to find out now is if I can tune and leave the cats or if they need to be pulled. The 520 doesn't have cats [emoji12]from what I've been told the mag and ho are the same the mag is basically just detuned w different mapping

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Finally found the best boat forum on the net and looking forward to conversing with yall.

My pops and I finally have the money together and we will be building our first boat in the next few weeks. We know Bob at Shockwave personally and have seen the shop in action. We have seen the boats on the water and after reading 100s of reviews feel we are definitely making the right choice on a 25' Open Bow Tremor. We owned a boat in my youth before sports took over so we arent complete noobs but hopefully you can help us navigate the process.

What are some mistakes people make in buildouts?
What are some pitfalls to avoid?
What are some must haves on our boat? What cant you live without?
What would you do over if you could?

Our family my mom and pops, my wife, and my son(4) and daughter(12) will be the main occupants of the boat out at Lake Havasu and prolly once a year at powell. Of course we will have some friends out as well. We are definitely getting the upgraded motor. The tremor doesnt come with a built in ice chest, so i thought it would be a good idea to have bob put one in one of the midcabin seats or maybe even the back seat? Do we need or should we have the Mercury VesselView? What about sound systems? Is it best to go aftermarket? Also is there anyone out there in boat design graphics design?

Thanks for any help and guidance you can give us. Once we get the order in i definitely gonna post pics as we go along. Cant wait to get out on the water end of summer!

Welcome to the board!

Don't do a white boat. My base color besides the bottom is a greyish color and I love it.

Seems like it might be harder to fix beach rash though? (Not sure?)

Get the exhaust below the waterline. It quiets the boat and allows the swim step to drop (easier to get in/out of the water)

Add the Aqua step.

Anything faster than 70 in the 25 and you will need your trim tabs at times.....I rarely had to use mine in my 25 but only had the 496HO. A friend had the 525 and he did use his trim tabs.

Power hinges for the hatch....both sides

Get removable carpet if you get carpet. Personally I prefer non-skid as it makes it easier to clean out. I had two drains put up against the rear seat so I would just pour some water on the floor...it drains out and then I take a towel to clean up the moisture.

If going with a big stereo put your subs under the back seat. Forget any speakers in the mid cabin unless you have separate controls to turn them off. Put speakers by the cup holders in the open bow and also in the rear cup holder area.

Get the fans and lights for the mid-cabin

You can put amps behind the mid cabin seats but will need fans in there also as it can get hot confined like that.

Stretch the mid cabin space and shorten the open bow. I did that on my 29. I think I shortened it 2 feet. made a huge difference. Don't know if you have two feet to shorten in the 25 but if you can you will appreciate the room for the kids down below at times. The open bow is big as it is.

Forget the built in ice chests. They don't work for shit.

Make sure to have a drain plug installed in the mid cabin that can drain straight out when needed. Bob did this for me and it helped with ice chests, wet swim suits and just water coming from places like that in the mid cabin.

I also had a generator under the hatch that fed off the same gas as the boat (the 29 could do this as it could handle twin engines and had two gas feeds). Put a stainless connection to disperse the exhaust fumes outside but stopped using it as it built up too much heat under the hatch for my liking.

Get drop down bolsters for the captain and co-captain seats. You will find yourself standing from time to time.

Its been a number of years since I built mine but these were some of the things I did. Also, as you should already know Bob's word is gold. If he says he can do it he will. Just listen closely to his suggestions and you will be fine.

tell him Tom Winters says hello....

Well Tom covered all the basis I was gonna say and then some! LOL

From what I recall talking to someone at the boat show last year. Tuning it makes it a little better performing than the ho. I guess the downside would be it has to run on 91 after the tune instead of 87. Only thing I need to find out now is if I can tune and leave the cats or if they need to be pulled. The 520 doesn't have cats [emoji12]from what I've been told the mag and ho are the same the mag is basically just detuned w different mapping

You can get the MAG to the HO power level for $795. 50 Hp and 35 ft lb gain on 89

For another $895 you can give it a 75HP and 55 ft lb gain on 91

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=54

If you notice the gains for the HO are significantly less.. Seems like the deal to me is get the MAG and get it flashed when its out of warranty.

Two things to note.. If you pull the cats, at some point down the road they are likely to start enforcing on that front.. and they will come back looking for whomever yanked them?

Anything over 500HP is exempt from the new smog regulations.. I think doing a 520 on the build sheet is worth that in itself..

RD

JD D05

Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

Yes...The bottom is a common I think Artic White but a bump or something on the color would have to be color matched.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

Well Tom covered all the basis I was gonna say and then some! LOL

Two things to note.. If you pull the cats, at some point down the road they are likely to start enforcing on that front.. and they will come back looking for whomever yanked them?

Anything over 500HP is exempt from the new smog regulations.. I think doing a 520 on the build sheet is worth that in itself..

RD
Yup just to not have the cats the upgrade is worth it. But then add steering and tabs turns into a big upgrade. Also I don't know anyone that will pull the cats. I know someone who will tune the ecm but I'm pretty sure I have to pull it out send it to them then I put it back

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yup just to not have the cats the upgrade is worth it. But then add steering and tabs turns into a big upgrade. Also I don't know anyone that will pull the cats. I know someone who will tune the ecm but I'm pretty sure I have to pull it out send it to them then I put it back

I know people that will do it, but it isn't going to say that on the work order.. Lol.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

Yes...The bottom is a common I think Artic White but a bump or something on the color would have to be color matched.

Color match of its a custom mix color.
Go with the lightest gray on the chart and it's an out of the can repair.