WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Catalina Race history questions

N of the rvr

Reaction score
Has there ever been an outboard powered boat that won overall or women's overall? And when was the last year a 21' or smaller boat won overall and who was the skier?

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I don't know of a woman ever winning overall. A few years back a 21 was first across the line but with time adjusted was not the overall winner. The skier was Luke Keys from Australia. A 21 overall would be early 80s if I had to guess.

Taboma

Reaction score
My dad for several years during the 50's was racing the Catalina Ski Race in modified Chris Crafts.

I recall them spending all summer training skiers up at Lake Arrowhead. One skier in the mid-50's was an French import, supposed to be a hot-shot, but kept falling during the race in nasty conditions offshore. Wanted to climb back into the boat after about his third fall, Dad nice explained (While holding the backup ski in a threatening manner) that he wasn't getting back into the boat after they'd spent all summer training him, so unless he wanted to swim in, he best ski --- and now apparently motivated, his attitude and skiing improved :D --- Ahhhh, the good ole days :thumbsup

The CSR website references it's 66 year history, but I can't find any historical information. With such a long and rich history I'm surprised.

I recall sitting on the beach awaiting their return, a guy with an amphibious plane who'd fly out over the race course trying to find lost and broken down boats, and waking up in the dark on race day to tow to Long Beach.

We had a lot of trophies, 8mm movies and stills, but lost them with the house in the SD wildfire in 07'. :grumble:

Any info would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
To my knowledge no outboard boat has ever won the Men's or Women's overall at the CSR. The last small boat to do it was in 1981, John Belvail skiing and the only female driver to win the race overall, Pat Chadwick driving, 20' spectra. Kurt Schoen had the race won a number of times in the early 80's skiing behind Billy Dunsmore's 21 Schiada only to have some crazy shit happen with a couple of miles to go. Hit a chunk of wood at the breakwall entrance and bent the fin of his ski over to about a 45 degree angle one year.

We had records going all the way back to 1949, unfortunately the file cabinets were left in a warehouse about 15 years ago and lost.

Taboma

Reaction score
"We had records going all the way back to 1949, unfortunately the file cabinets were left in a warehouse about 15 years ago and lost."

That answers the question why I can't find any old history, that's a bunch of history to lose :(

Thanks, appreciate the response :thumbsup

boat527

Reaction score
I don't know of a woman ever winning overall. A few years back a 21 was first across the line but with time adjusted was not the overall winner. The skier was Luke Keys from Australia. A 21 overall would be early 80s if I had to guess.

Edited: Erin came in as one of the first small boats.. Just to clarify
Or when my brother was pulling Erin Saunders ( since married) behind his 210 and miraculously lost to the 43 Schiada....

THOF

Reaction score
Ragged Edge,
I think Danny Bertels won in 83 with Ron Spindler, and I think Steven Moore won in 86 behind a Schiada, driver's name on the tip of my tongue.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I can answer a couple of these questions raised so far -- A woman has never won Catalina overall, however Sally Younger in 1970 came the closest (she finished 2 minutes and 34 seconds behind the Mens overall winner Mike Kennedy and third overall I believe). Mike skied behind a 32-foot Bertram (twin Z-drive) called Zipee, owned and driven by Maury Fortney of Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. Sally skied that year behind Peter Rothschild's Thunderballs, a 32-foot Cary with twin 482 MerCruiser sterndrive packages with Chuck Daigh in the cockpit. This was the first year Catalina overall winners were pulled by boats longer than 23-feet. As for the best finish by an outboard powered boat, my memory is a little hazy on this one but I think it was again Mike Kennedy skiing behind Larry Smith's triple Mercury outboard Scarab vee-bottom in the early 1970s (I think Mike finished third overall, maybe second).

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I think I can answer a couple of these questions raised so far -- A woman has never won Catalina overall, however Sally Younger in 1970 came the closest (she finished 2 minutes and 34 seconds behind the Mens overall winner Mike Kennedy and third overall I believe). Mike skied behind a 32-foot Bertram (twin Z-drive) called Zipee, owned and driven by Maury Fortney of Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. Sally skied that year behind Peter Rothschild's Thunderballs, a 32-foot Cary with twin 482 MerCruiser sterndrive packages with Chuck Daigh in the cockpit. This was the first year Catalina overall winners were pulled by boats longer than 23-feet. As for the best finish by an outboard powered boat, my memory is a little hazy on this one but I think it was again Mike Kennedy skiing behind Larry Smith's triple Mercury outboard Scarab vee-bottom in the early 1970s (I think Mike finished third overall, maybe second).

1970 would have been the summer before Mike went into his senior year at Pasadena High School. I only skied with him a couple of times, but we were pretty good friends in high school.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Ragged Edge,
I think Danny Bertels won in 83 with Ron Spindler, and I think Steven Moore won in 86 behind a Schiada, driver's name on the tip of my tongue.

We need to check with Mike King. I think he as most of the race results from the 80's. Forgot about Bertels and I thought Moore was behind Burt Court's Cask N Cleaver the year he won it. Was a long time ago.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
We need to check with Mike King. I think he as most of the race results from the 80's. Forgot about Bertels and I thought Moore was behind Burt Court's Cask N Cleaver the year he won it. Was a long time ago.

Burt Court pulled Chuck Sterns to victory in 1979 with the Cask and Cleaver 32' Spectra (with Gale Banks turbo engines), if I am not wrong. I was working for Banks at the time, and got to ride along on some boat testing prior to the race.

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
To my knowledge no outboard boat has ever won the Men's or Women's overall at the CSR. The last small boat to do it was in 1981, John Belvail skiing and the only female driver to win the race overall, Pat Chadwick driving, 20' spectra. Kurt Schoen had the race won a number of times in the early 80's skiing behind Billy Dunsmore's 21 Schiada only to have some crazy shit happen with a couple of miles to go. Hit a chunk of wood at the breakwall entrance and bent the fin of his ski over to about a 45 degree angle one year.

We had records going all the way back to 1949, unfortunately the file cabinets were left in a warehouse about 15 years ago and lost.

Pat Chadwick was the 1st women driver to win the overall race. Also,according to the Powerboat magazine article
The first to win in under 1 hour. I think Betty Ross won later in her off shore race boat.

Brent

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Pat Chadwick was the 1st women driver to win the overall race. Also,according to the Powerboat magazine article
The first to win in under 1 hour. I think Betty Ross won later in her off shore race boat.

Brent

Well, Powerboat Magazine had it wrong. Winning time for John Belvail, Pat Chadwick was 1:00:43. The year before that Robbie Woods from Australia won the race in 58:42. He was the first under 1 hour.

DickieB

Reaction score

Brent
we were pulling Buck Baker that year, Edelbrock 21' Spectra.... had a great lead with Kurt Schoen not far behind us. He fell, all we had to do was finish....water so rough outside the breakwater, Buck went in. still in good shape to win except Buck lost his ski, trying to get him on the boat, Vic falls in😩, by the time we get everything together, here comes Johnny Belvail behind Pat Chadwick. I think we finished 9th overall....Vic not real happy nor was Buck.

You know what they say: "That's racin' "

Boat211

Reaction score
Edited: Erin came in as one of the first small boats.. Just to clarify
Or when my brother was pulling Erin Saunders ( since married) behind his 210 and miraculously lost to the 43 Schiada....

I want to say this was 03 or 04. Erin and a Bernico F2 boat came in together. I think Ryan Choura was skiing.

Reaction score
I want to say this was 03 or 04. Erin and a Bernico F2 boat came in together. I think Ryan Choura was skiing.

Ryan had the f2 record for some time considering all the advancements in that class. It was a smooth day I remember it well we blew up and got a nice 5 hour tow home.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
My dad for several years during the 50's was racing the Catalina Ski Race in modified Chris Crafts.

I recall them spending all summer training skiers up at Lake Arrowhead. One skier in the mid-50's was an French import, supposed to be a hot-shot, but kept falling during the race in nasty conditions offshore. Wanted to climb back into the boat after about his third fall, Dad nice explained (While holding the backup ski in a threatening manner) that he wasn't getting back into the boat after they'd spent all summer training him, so unless he wanted to swim in, he best ski --- and now apparently motivated, his attitude and skiing improved :D --- Ahhhh, the good ole days :thumbsup

The CSR website references it's 66 year history, but I can't find any historical information. With such a long and rich history I'm surprised.

I recall sitting on the beach awaiting their return, a guy with an amphibious plane who'd fly out over the race course trying to find lost and broken down boats, and waking up in the dark on race day to tow to Long Beach.

We had a lot of trophies, 8mm movies and stills, but lost them with the house in the SD wildfire in 07'. :grumble:

Any info would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup

I'm glad that guy was flying this years race ...................... shark attack.jpg

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
SEVEN time winner of the catalina race and NO mention of her in the ski racing hall of fame. That's Dick Freek driver, Bill Kent observer, and Norm Wilson holding the bow, the pic was taken at Havasu the year we had " ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY" skiers run in all different classes over two day's............... Janie Welch 1.jpg Jane Welch 2.jpg

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Mike Harker, youngest skier entered this year, Bob Nordskog with the oldest boat pulled him. 88.jpg

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Welcome back Denny! How are you feening? :tbi

ALMOST back to 100% "normal"..................we'll be over next week, I'm bringing the Sanger with me, gonna try to sell it over there. I 've had zero people come out to the ranch to look at it :D..........I'll call ya when we get in.