WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Painting a boat

dspracing

Reaction score
Seems like a simple google search but after extensive research I have not been able to find a solid answer, or anything close.

I purchased an older sleekcraft hull that was originally gelcoat and later painted and cleared. I have sanded the entire boat back down to the original gel/some fiberglass showing through.

Now, I'm looking to spray the boat with a primer and single stage paint. This is a freshwater boat, stored on the trailer. I see a lot of recommendations for Imron and Awlgrip but then the products say "not for use below the waterline" and do not spray without fresh air respiration. Does this primarily apply to boats that are kept in the water? Am I safe to use just about any paint below the waterline? I'm assuming the correct paint would allow for the amount of flex seen on a fiberglass hull as well.

Basically at this point I am looking for a recommendation as to what kind of paint and primer I can get away with safely spraying on my boat.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Jimmy

Reaction score
Seems like a simple google search but after extensive research I have not been able to find a solid answer, or anything close.

I purchased an older sleekcraft hull that was originally gelcoat and later painted and cleared. I have sanded the entire boat back down to the original gel/some fiberglass showing through.

Now, I'm looking to spray the boat with a primer and single stage paint. This is a freshwater boat, stored on the trailer. I see a lot of recommendations for Imron and Awlgrip but then the products say "not for use below the waterline" and do not spray without fresh air respiration. Does this primarily apply to boats that are kept in the water? Am I safe to use just about any paint below the waterline? I'm assuming the correct paint would allow for the amount of flex seen on a fiberglass hull as well.

Basically at this point I am looking for a recommendation as to what kind of paint and primer I can get away with safely spraying on my boat.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
The guy that's painting my boat said he was using Acrylic 3 - Layer.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
my dads boat was sprayed in awlgrip. hard as a rock and i dont remember a single scratch on the boat. no issues with below water lines...

IMG_6812%20Tarva%20Driveway.JPG

stripes were done in imron which isnt used much anymore.

spaniard

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

What did you end up using after all?