WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Watching Olympic Trials

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
When these come around every four years, I watch and think about the things that might have been. I swam in competition from the time I was about 6 years old. I can't even remember when or how I learned to swim, it's like I just did it from the moment of birth.

I remember practicing before school in the morning, swimming at PE and Team workouts from 2 to 5, and Club workout from 6-9. EVERY FUCKING DAY! I was passable and learning right up to sophomore year when I got my drivers license. Then all of a sudden the workouts were getting tedious. Especially when the waves were smoking. (paddling was like swimming, right? ) The whole concept to a 16 year old surfer was fading fast.

Watching the trials and the Olympics and seeing the Phelpses and Lochtes and Rowdy Gaines and Mark Spitz (I actually swam with Mark for a few months while our pool was being repaired), I wonder what would have happened if I really applied myself. I set a few school records and won medals at the league and CIF State level, but would never have been on par with Spitz or Gaines or Gary Hall.

But I still wonder "what if........???"

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I was sorta in a similar universe...I regret not playing HS football, instead I chose to be a 'roided-out stoner/drinker LOL

Olympians literally give up their lives for sport.

Just think about all of the great memories you have from that time, that would be erased...

Having said that, Phelps is the true GOAT. Amazing human to maintain that level for so long.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Swimming is my favorite Olympic event to watch. Been involved in swimming for 15 years, watched my daughter swim many many races and even I swam masters for a while. She started winning club races, traveling all over, breaking high school records and you start going wow can she get an olympic time trial. Most people have no clue how hard it is to go as fast as these swimmers are going in the water. Its a commitment, sacrifice, a ton of pain and a ton of joy. My daughter a 200 flyer, just turned 21 and got her fastest 200 fly time ever, drop like 3 seconds. Put her mind to it and won conference a few months back.

Ya never know Boat cop, throw that jammer back on and get er done.

sirbob

Reaction score
Boy you are bringing back memories !

I swam and played polo.

I was on the Mission Viejo Natadors in 79/80 when I was senior in HS - half our team made the Olympic team in 80 (not me) but that was the year the US boycotted.

I swam in the pool with a bunch of world record holders for a couple of years.

I never saw practice as a drag - my deal was I never realized the opportunity I had - I'm convinced I could have done a lot better if I would have realized at the time how close I was to doing great things.

What ever you do - do it to the max !

milkmoney

Reaction score
I think phelps is part machine. He is truly amazing.

I used to practice with the water polo team after school ( when I had a chance). The swimming coach , my history teacher always asked me why are not on the swim team.

I jus said I like to play water polo , had no desire to be in your swim team. He would jus walk away shaking his head and laughing.

Although I did have another opportunity at the age of 15 , my parents wouldn't allow me to live in another country. Yes I am still mad about that. Jus like boat cop , I often wonder will or what I would be doing today [emoji202][emoji41]

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Did you guys see the new team uniforms?

2oZV6Kh.jpg

:D

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I think phelps is part machine. He is truly amazing.

I used to practice with the water polo team after school ( when I had a chance). The swimming coach , my history teacher always asked me why are not on the swim team.

I jus said I like to play water polo , had no desire to be in your swim team. He would jus walk away shaking his head and laughing.

Although I did have another opportunity at the age of 15 , my parents wouldn't allow me to live in another country. Yes I am still mad about that. Jus like boat cop , I often wonder will or what I would be doing today [emoji202][emoji41]

Your right about Phelps. Dudes a machine. He's in almost unbelievable shape. His drive is crazy off the charts. Honestly, I could give two shits that he got caught parting and smoking pot. Dude deserved to have some fun for what he's accomplished.

Same here for me but baseball. Highest batting average in the county, could play left field, catcher, and 3rd base. Dad re married into big money, the traveling started and I started 15 year old partying and I always wonder what would of happen if I fully committed. What I find helps me right now is about a year ago I started a tri athlete circuit training workout program. I have to say up until about the time I bailed 3 weeks ago for my Vacation this year I'm in the best cardio shape probably of my life. I can swim at least a mile in open water and ride my road bike 35+ like it aint no thing.

A friend of mine that used to be involved with Olympians as a coach told me a funny story. He said in the main milling area of athletes only, there used to be a huge bowl of condoms. I guess the athletes had a big time erge for sex. Something about the intense training, not much regular life makes them a bit horny.

Lets go USA

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I don't care if Phelps smokes weed. He's probably one if the greatest athletes of all time. Like Jordan/Babe Ruth status IMO. I'm glad I get watch him compete one more time. Hell they are making him out to be old, he's only 30 as of last night. 31 at the Olympics. When the fuck did 31 become old???

brgrcru

Reaction score
I don't care if Phelps smokes weed. He's probably one if the greatest athletes of all time. Like Jordan/Babe Ruth status IMO. I'm glad I get watch him compete one more time. Hell they are making him out to be old, he's only 30 as of last night. 31 at the Olympics. When the fuck did 31 become old???

When you are a professional athlete. Not many over 30, can hang in most sports. when you hit that ripe old age of 30.
Phelps is amassing .

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
At some point in time, there is going to be a time record set that will never be broken. Whether swimming or track, at some point humans are not going to be able to go any faster. Physics won't allow it.

Think about it. If records kept falling and times keep reducing, the logical end result would be for someone to cover 100 yards in 1/100 of a second (the current break point for Olympic times). But that, of course, is physically impossible. There will eventually be a record set that will never be beat, unless they just start moving time records further to the right, as in: 1/1000 second, 1/10000 second, and so on.

But even then, there has to be a finite speed that humans can travel manually on land and in water.