WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boating 101...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I see lots of new boaters on here. :)

Everyone add ONE thing that new boaters need to know, and maybe a comedy item. I'll go first...

NEVER use ski ropes to tie up your boat. They will come loose for sure.

ALWAYS buy good dock lines and learn how to tie good knots!!! There are apps for your phone for this. :thumbsup

Up-river boat: This is a boat you never go down river in, cause that damm thing is bound to break! Much easier to float back to where you started with the current, when it does. ;)

Next!

She's Mine

Reaction score
what I would suggest to new boaters....

Take your time and be patient. I would rather you take your time and do it right than hurry and make a mistake that could cause damage, injury or worse, death.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
All good ones.

I love it when you tell peeps what an "upriver boat" is and they get it. Good times.

Hey RM, make sure your anchor lines are long enough for your depth?

I need to learn some knots for sure.

Brian

I see lots of new boaters on here. :)

Everyone add ONE thing that new boaters need to know, and maybe a comedy item. I'll go first...

NEVER use ski ropes to tie up your boat. They will come loose for sure.

ALWAYS buy good dock lines and learn how to tie good knots!!! There are apps for your phone for this. :thumbsup

Up-river boat: This is a boat you never go down river in, cause that damm thing is bound to break! Much easier to float back to where you started with the current, when it does. ;)

Next!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
what I would suggest to new boaters....

Take your time and be patient. I would rather you take your time and do it right than hurry and make a mistake that could cause damage, injury or worse, death.

Yep, I made three passes at the desert Storm raft up to get the boat in the right spot.

charlyox

Reaction score
ALWAYS make sure you have enough fuel. I usually top off my boat every time I go out. I have towed in plenty of knuckleheads with their family in the boat and they ran out of gas.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
All good ones.

I love it when you tell peeps what an "upriver boat" is and they get it. Good times.

Hey RM, make sure your anchor lines are long enough for your depth?

I need to learn some knots for sure.

Brian

Excellent suggestion. :thumbsup :D

MSum661

Reaction score
Give your passengers the option to get out if you ever use the words..."Get in...Sit Down, Hold On......and Shut Up"

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
There's no shame in asking for help. There is no place in our boating brotherhood for ego's. These things can kill or hurt someone quickly. If you have a question ask someone experienced for the answer.

On the flip side, you boaters with experience, don't be a snob. Take the opportunity to help the newbie do it the right way instead of calling them idiots.

Our lifestyle needs more younger boaters. Our help could give them a positive lasting impression. We need all the boats possible to fight back against the idiots trying to shutdown our waterways.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Always have a knife on board, it may only come in handy once to cut a line, but you will be glad you had it when it happens
Pretend all jet skis are stuck on full throttle without a pilot, expect the unexpected and give as much space as possible
Don't park your deck boat at foxes :eek

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Look before you turn.
Look before you turn.
Look behind you every 30 seconds or so for watercraft coming up behind you. This should become instinctive after awhile and will serve you and your passengers well your whole boating future.

checkrd past

Reaction score
When anchoring in a cove with other boats, take notice to what direction their boats are and do the same. In other words point in the same direction before dropping anchor.

nowski

Reaction score
When beaching your boat pay attention to the water level. We saw a guy on the river yesterday who discovered his Eliminator was beached and his crew was screwed. Ten guys helping, we finally got that got that boat off the beach at about 6:30 last night. That was Brett from OCFD who wasn't thinking...

charlyox

Reaction score
I have found this to be a very handy safety item. A rear view mirror. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467310567.356334.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Always do your pre-trip inspection, don't forget your Horn, Paddle, and make certain you have enough life vests for everyone.

If it's your first time on the river, in spots it's really moving, don't jump in without a vest on.

Always carry a spare plug. :thumbsup

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Always carry a descent set of tools, and spare prop, prop nut and lock washer, spare plug, wire, and some tape. Barring a catastrophic engine failure those items can usually get you home.

Comedy..... watched an older lady (60's or so) get out of a truck and back him down while walking behind the trailer backwards...... you know what happened next.... on her ass she went and he took about 30 mins to get his darn boat.

oldschool

Reaction score
Get your towels, coolers, kids, etc, etc in the boat long before you are at the ramp. :thumbsup

This for sure. Don't be in a hurry at the ramp, just be quick. Have a system for launching and retrieving.
ALSO, assume everyone else on the water is drunk and trying to take you out. Keep your head on a swivel.

4czn10

Reaction score
When launching or taking out, make sure your drive is up, so you don't drag it on the ground.

Jimmy

Reaction score
If u have a choice, pull your boat out at the end of the day instead of leaving it in over night to soak.

Grease and oil are cheaper than Rings and bearings.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Pay attention to tides and or water levels. Don't tie up too tight without compensating for fluctuating waters.

dtp92648

Reaction score
When loading items onto your boat at a beach (chairs, coolers, etc...), dunk everything in the water to get the sand off it. And NEVER place a cooler with wet sand on the bottom directly onto gel coat. Saw my buddies gel get destroyed by a rookie river goer about 15 years ago...

Comedy - when renting pontoon boats at Lake Havasu in college... pay attention for drunk buddies trying to a piss off the front of the boat while its underway and driving into the wind. The end result isn't pleasant!!!

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Always start the boat at home before you head to the lake.

Spectra18

Reaction score
-look around you before hit the gas. Seen boaters get into an accident several times and of u hurt or injure someone it's your fault.

boat527

Reaction score
This for sure. Don't be in a hurry at the ramp, just be quick. Have a system for launching and retrieving.
ALSO, assume everyone else on the water is drunk and trying to take you out. Keep your head on a swivel.

And... The patience part, Please wait in line like everyone else.. And when you come in PLEASE dont put your sled on the ramp , leaving your girlfriend with the vessel and telling her, " stay here, I'll be right back..

He ends up 10 people back in line and she just sits there!

Happened to me once, she would NOT move.. So... I helped her, INCOMING! Said girlfriend was a bit pissed.

I parked after launching, got back to the dock loading area and was idling out and he was still way back in line.

WOW!

sirbob

Reaction score
If your not driving the boat don't jump up and start doing things around the dock until the capt says so.

Everything should happen very slowly around a dock or when anchoring and the capt is the only one giving direction.

I've seen lots of people that thought they were helping out cause potentially serious problems.

Riley1

Reaction score
Always start the boat at home before you head to the lake.

This was my policy. 1985 2 stroke mercury was always a crap shoot weather it would run right or not. But if you are going to any of the Southern California lakes who do a mussel inspection, make sure it hasn't had water touch it for a week. They make you run the drive up and down and will not allow you to launch if even a drop of water comes out of the drive.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Great thread, as I'm new to the lake boating scene. Spent most of my boating ocean fishing with my parent's boat, now its time for my family to start our own tradition. Damn launch ramps in Havasu are sure more intimidating than launching in the ocean. Damn busy busy , but some of you f'ers are quick launching/retrieving and some not so much.....

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Great thread, as I'm new to the lake boating scene. Spent most of my boating ocean fishing with my parent's boat, now its time for my family to start our own tradition. Damn launch ramps in Havasu are sure more intimidating than launching in the ocean. Damn busy busy , but some of you f'ers are quick launching/retrieving and some not so much.....
You'll make lots of people happy being efficient at the ramps, including yourself. More than anything do not do your packing and prep of the boat there, get that stuff done at the hotel or house beforehand.
If you are seen packing your coolers and towels and other items on the ramp expect to be yelled at.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
When retreiving your trailer don't float in the middle of the marina waiting for your trailer to get there. Use cell or radios to let boat driver know when you near the ramp. Do you waiting out of everyone elses way. Please.

RGH'sBaba

Reaction score
if you're the type that needs liquor to have a good time think about another hobby. Perhaps swimming with great white sharks, or sky diving without a parachute.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This was my policy. 1985 2 stroke mercury was always a crap shoot weather it would run right or not. But if you are going to any of the Southern California lakes who do a mussel inspection, make sure it hasn't had water touch it for a week. They make you run the drive up and down and will not allow you to launch if even a drop of water comes out of the drive.
Really? My '86 runs like a top everytime. If I forget to pump the bulb before hand it takes what seems like forever to start but once it starts, runs perfect.

Meaney77

Reaction score
When your waiting to be retrieved with your trailer, kill your motor. I love the sound of healthy built motors as much as the next guy but after a long day on the water and not drinkin. I have very little patience watching everyone attempting to get their boats on the trailer and get to a point where I cant stand breathing your fumes.

There is always a few hey LAM bitchen dudes that dont know when to kill it.

Always Floored

Reaction score
When retreiving your trailer don't float in the middle of the marina waiting for your trailer to get there. Use cell or radios to let boat driver know when you near the ramp. Do you waiting out of everyone elses way. Please.

This is a big one for me and my wife. Drop your driver off and move out of the way, way out of the way.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
if you're the type that needs liquor to have a good time think about another hobby. Perhaps swimming with great white sharks, or sky diving without a parachute.
Boating needs to be respected and performed with the same care and caution one is supposed to use in the car.
I rarely will have a drink while I'm the captain of my vessel, however, if doing so I know I will be in that location for hours.

Riley1

Reaction score
Really? My '86 runs like a top everytime. If I forget to pump the bulb before hand it takes what seems like forever to start but once it starts, runs perfect.

I grew up with this boat and it never liked to idle. I always had trouble with the oil injection so I finally removed it. I can get it started, and I know how to keep it running. also takes a while to start at the beginning of every trip, usually ran good other that the first start, so I usually did run before heading to the ramp.