WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Today Sucks!

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I had to put down my daughters pony this morning. Miss Candy Cane has been part of our life for 12 years. My daughter spent the night in the barn and my 18yr old came home 1st thing this morning. When I walked down to check on her I knew what I had to do. I walked my daughter up to the house and got my rifle. She said she had said goodbye and was ready, but it didn't make it an easier as I was looking through the scope all I could see was my daughter riding Candy on the beach. That shot is still ringing in my ears and I'm doing my best to be there for my daughter, but this straight up sucks! Sorry guys, I'm a fucking wreck right now...

milkmoney

Reaction score
Damn. Sorry to read this. From my opinion you did and are doing the right thing. As an animal owner we are faced with tough decisions. Big hug to your daughter
Hang tough [emoji202]

Scott E

Reaction score
Wow. So sorry to read this. It's one thing to take your pet to the vet to have them put down but something completely different to do it yourself.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Damn. Sorry to read this. From my opinion you did and are doing the right thing. As an animal owner we are faced with tough decisions. Big hug to your daughter
Hang tough [emoji202]

Milk, I knew you would get this. I knew it was coming, but figured we had more time. She had some sort of cancer that took her real quick. She was almost 30, but it was still very sudden. A bond between a girl and her horse is a special thing.

C-2

Reaction score
Sorry to read about the pony. I too have a teenage daughter and we had to put 1 of our 5 horses down two months ago, so I hear ya.

Sucks being the bad guy. :(

Do you bury the pony?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Hard thing to handle for sure. Kudos to you for making it as easy on your girl as possible. Only time will heal.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Sorry to read about the pony. I too have a teenage daughter and we had to put 1 of our 5 horses down two months ago, so I hear ya.

Sucks being the bad guy. :(

Do you bury the pony?

My friend is coming over this evening with his excavator to bury her.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I was definitely not expecting to read a thread like this today. I am sorry for your family's loss.

To do it yourself took brass ones.

Hopefully you can begin the healing process.

C-2

Reaction score

Good deal. Bummer for sure.

I cut a small piece from the horse's tail and my daughter is using a horseshoe and the hair to make a small memorial to hang over the horse's stall, I think it will look like a dream catcher when done. Pretty cool idea, a neighbor suggested it. :)

milkmoney

Reaction score
Milk, I knew you would get this. I knew it was coming, but figured we had more time. She had some sort of cancer that took her real quick. She was almost 30, but it was still very sudden. A bond between a girl and her horse is a special thing.

Ur right on that bond , I have two (wife and step daughter) that both have their own horse , and understand that.

My youngest is such a animal lover , you have no idea how many chickens are buried in the pasture.

Again. Very sorry , [emoji202]

dread Pirate

Reaction score
My thoughts too, tough son bitch' :thumbsup

Down here it's a 2 drug process, pretty quick.

Vet would have been tomorrow. She had been suffering all night and there really wasn't another option. I guess I could have called a neighbor to do it, but she's our pony and sometimes you just have to do the right thing regardless of how much it hurts.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I was definitely not expecting to read a thread like this today. I am sorry for your family's loss.

To do it yourself took brass ones.

Hopefully you can begin the healing process.

Yes it is hard to do , there are jus somethings in the country , you do because. [emoji202]

poncho

Reaction score
I had to put down my daughters pony this morning. Miss Candy Cane has been part of our life for 12 years. My daughter spent the night in the barn and my 18yr old came home 1st thing this morning. When I walked down to check on her I knew what I had to do. I walked my daughter up to the house and got my rifle. She said she had said goodbye and was ready, but it didn't make it an easier as I was looking through the scope all I could see was my daughter riding Candy on the beach. That shot is still ringing in my ears and I'm doing my best to be there for my daughter, but this straight up sucks! Sorry guys, I'm a fucking wreck right now...

My little Sis lost a horse, has to have been 30 years now....if it comes up she looks like it was yesterday....sorry to hear this.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Aww man. Sorry to hear this DP :(

We had to put down our horse this year, we've had him for 13 years. He was 23.

Rough few weeks coming up, lots of tears. Hang tough, it gets better.

Postitive thoughts to you and your family!

C-2

Reaction score
Vet would have been tomorrow. She had been suffering all night and there really wasn't another option. I guess I could have called a neighbor to do it, but she's our pony and sometimes you just have to do the right thing regardless of how much it hurts.

I figured as much on the timing and location, that's why I asked about burying.

Like you, I am usually the horse vet too with all the shots and even a trim when required.

Our horse went down in a month, from normal to a walking skeleton, vet said multiple internal organ failure, probably a cancer too. A cocksucker animal control officer recently moved in next door, I ran out of time.

The things we do for our wives and daughters, eh DP and MM?

C-2

Reaction score
you have no idea how many chickens are buried in the pasture.

[emoji202]

Lol, Just the other day a coyote dug one up, it rotted in the sun for a few days and then my cowdog rolled in it. Dog smelled like dead animal, and of course, it was my fault :swear

I suppose laughing didn't help. Man wifey was pissed.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Lol, Just the other day a coyote dug one up, it rotted in the sun for a few days and then my cowdog rolled in it. Dog smelled like dead animal, and of course, it was my fault :swear

I suppose laughing didn't help. Man wifey was pissed.

Lol. Don't let ur wife know I lol at that. We had a dead snake in the chicken pin and the stupid house dog rolled all over the snake and stunk. [emoji202]

Ya I agree what we do for our wives happiness. [emoji12][emoji215][emoji202]
She jus had to have this buckskin. Going to barrel race her etc. u know the rest of the story. Lol

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score

Well Done DP. The first time we faced putting down one of our horses we called a service we were told about.They come to your place and after the horse is down they take the horse for burial.Bull shit,the lady backs up to the paddock with a well equipped truck.My wife wants to go along for the burial,lady says not possible and adds the horse is going to a special place at the dump.Well,my neighbor comes in with his back hoe and this fine animal was buried in his paddock and from then on in their own home when the time came.
DP your daughter will never forget how you handled a lousy situation with the respect you showed.:thumbsup