WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So the IRS is suing me?

sirbob

Reaction score
Anybody else been getting these automated calls trying to get you to call another phone number they provide ?

We have been getting these calls for about a month now...

Joker

Reaction score
Anybody else been getting these automated calls trying to get you to call another phone number they provide ?

Ignore it. We got them for a few weeks.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's a scam.

Record the number and turn it in to the fraud dept of the IRS. They will take care of it :skull

Scott E

Reaction score
Received those calls as well. Even with the house phone being on the Do Not Call list we still get a shitton of telemarketing calls. Now, if I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If someone needs to speak me bad enough they've got my cell phone or will leave a message on the house phone.

sirbob

Reaction score
Ya I wasn't about to call the number and knew it was BS - hadn't thought of turning the number in to IRS .

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Received those calls as well. Even with the house phone being on the Do Not Call list we still get a shitton of telemarketing calls. Now, if I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If someone needs to speak me bad enough they've got my cell phone or will leave a message on the house phone.

Criminals and scammers don't care about the Do Not Call List. Most are operating from out of the country anyway, like "Dave" from Windows.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
When they tell you the local COPS are coming to take you away. ...all you can do is LOL.
Pretty stupid scammers. Sadly, all it takes is for one person to bite.[emoji19]

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It's a scam.

Record the number and turn it in to the fraud dept of the IRS. They will take care of it :skull
Irs shoukd just monitor google for those mumbers.

sirbob

Reaction score
I received three calls in a row - after I posted a few min ago.

I think they were waiting to see if I called the number they gave.

When I didn't call after 5 min they called again with the recording... Three times.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I had a call from a collection agency that said if I did. Not pay they would get a warrant for my arrest. I told them to send their representative to the local fbi office I was turning myself in... *click*

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
When they call Sergei the Russian mobster answers the phone. He says he'll have his Cossack relatives find you and your family and place your private parts in a meat grinder with all the safety guards removed. Nobody threatens me or my family.

They usually hang up by then.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
When they call Sergei the Russian mobster answers the phone. He says he'll have his Cossack relatives find you and your family and place your private parts in a meat grinder with all the safety guards removed. Nobody threatens me or my family.

They usually hang up by then.
Hello, this is Peggy how can I help? [emoji1] [emoji23]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When FIOS got bought out by Frontier, they gave us a new service that automatically blocks spam calls. The phone will ring once, and that's it!

Thanks Frontier, nice work! :thumbsup

Before that, we just looked at the caller ID. Just like my cell phone. Never answer calls when you don't recognize the number.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had one guy call my.parents house when I was still living at home. I was about 18 or so at the time. Some African national for sure. Said I won 12 mil and a brand new BMW. The truck was around the corner from my house waiting to drop off the car. Well, he called on a boring day for me. I had him going round and round for at least 2 hours. At a couple points he was cursing at me. It was awesome. I figured I at least saved a dozen phone calls from being made that day and was quiet entertained in the process.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

That's the point where I ditched the home phone. Nothing but scammers.

Always Floored

Reaction score
I got it also. Ignore that garbage. I've been audited more than once. The IRS sends letters in the mail, they don't call you.

Scott E

Reaction score
When FIOS got bought out by Frontier, they gave us a new service that automatically blocks spam calls. The phone will ring once, and that's it!

Thanks Frontier, nice work! :thumbsup

Before that, we just looked at the caller ID. Just like my cell phone. Never answer calls when you don't recognize the number.

???

Cell service is not the best at home so I keep the landline for that. The savings by switching to VOIP was not worth it since everything is bundled with FIOS.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Post the number on here like I did its a scam but they do answer the phone and they really dont like you talking about their goats :):):)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
???

Cell service is not the best at home so I keep the landline for that. The savings by switching to VOIP was not worth it since everything is bundled with FIOS.
You have caller ID on your land line?

500bbc

Reaction score

Call them back, talk to them about their mom...in your living room.....with your pet pig.... and pet goat in line. Offer to send them the video.

They like that.:thumbsup

C-2

Reaction score

Yup, some collection assholes called my deceased FIL's residence, his name was Robert Brown. Yeah, a few of those around.

So my MIL verified that was his name, but explained he is deceased.

10 calls per week, all looking for a Robert Brown, age 27, who owes a couple hundred bucks.

She somehwat holds me responsible since I am unable to make them stop :rolleyes

So after 40 years with the same number, she is disconnecting it.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been getting them. Doesn't sound like IRS agents though. Sounds like pacific islanders to me.

C-2

Reaction score
Listen up kids...some food for thought when dealing with these assholes... :)

1) The IRS will call you if you are on a payment plan and they have your number.

2) *67 will not block your caller ID if you call any 800 number...877,866,800,888,855 etc.

Sometimes, "800" numbers are actually disguised as local numbers. Scammers and collection agencies know people call them to fuck with them, so they use these types of numbers. They can also use a local Google Voice number. So be careful if you call, because they might be getting your real cell number.

Sometimes too, scammers, telemarketers and collection agencies also spoof their numbers. So if you call somebody back, it could be an unrelated third party who was unlucky enough to have these azzholes use their legit number as the spoofed number/the number that appears on your caller ID.

The only way around this, and to safely call them, is to "spoof" your number. But, most spoofing services, who operate out of Canada since spoofing is illegal in the US, will not let you spoof to 800 numbers.

And, since I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to computers, you can spoof numbers using Kali Linux and the Metasploit Social Engineering package. Just have some Bitcoin on hand to pay for credits. Unless of course, you prefer to pay the Russians with PayPal :yikes

drejustice

Reaction score
Listen up kids...some food for thought when dealing with these assholes... :)

1) The IRS will call you if you are on a payment plan and they have your number.

BUT

the IRS:

Never asks for credit card, debit card or prepaid card information over the telephone.
Never insists that taxpayers use a specific payment method to pay tax obligations
Never requests immediate payment over the telephone and will not take enforcement action immediately following a phone conversation. Taxpayers usually receive prior notification in writing of IRS enforcement action involving IRS tax liens or levies.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-repeats-warning-about-phone-scams

C-2

Reaction score
BUT

the IRS:

Never asks for credit card, debit card or prepaid card information over the telephone.
Never insists that taxpayers use a specific payment method to pay tax obligations
Never requests immediate payment over the telephone and will not take enforcement action immediately following a phone conversation. Taxpayers usually receive prior notification in writing of IRS enforcement action involving IRS tax liens or levies.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-repeats-warning-about-phone-scams

Lol, "usually".

I thought it was kind of fishy when the guy asked me to upload $3,000 onto a Green Dot prepaid credit card :eek

I can totally see the state using some of the scammers tactics though, they're the mf*ers. :D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Lol, "usually".

I thought it was kind of fishy when the guy asked me to upload $3,000 onto a Green Dot prepaid credit card :eek

I can totally see the state using some of the scammers tactics though, they're the mf*ers. :D

You'd think people would ask themselves one simple question:
Does the government run on iTunes gift cards?

C-2

Reaction score
You'd think people would ask themselves one simple question:
Does the government run on iTunes gift cards?

People helping people, giving consumers more payment options :D

max930

Reaction score
Canada doesn't have as many protections as the U.S. My cousins, etc. are coming over for Canada Day. I asked my cousin what they do if you owe income tax. First they send letters. No response. They can search for bank and other financial institution accounts via a database. If they find any accounts tied to your social security number. They send the bank a letter and seize what is owed. Not enough money in the account, he can tap credit cards and lines of credit. If they still don't have the money, they can freeze all accounts until paid. Most people call CRA when their accounts are frozen and need money. 9 times out of 10 they'll work out a payment plan. If the people don't call. CRA can send them a refund via check to the last known address. Once the person cashes the check, CRA now knows where they bank. They can get a court order to freeze that account. They have tax judges that all they do all day is authorize freezing assets, takes 5 minutes to get the order. If its a check cashing place they can have them seize any checks you try and cash. With these tools no need to jail people who wont pay their tax debt!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Deb got the automated IRS call 3 times in a row this morning.

It is a generated voice saying urgent call back is required.
We have absolutely no reason for irs calls, we are clear with them.

In years past when I've been audited or had any type of negotiations with them it always started with a certified letter.

The caller ID says (714) 332-3674. Brea CA

C-2

Reaction score
In years past when I've been audited or had any type of negotiations with them it always started with a certified letter.

A

It does; my only point was that if you supply them with a number, they will call as opposed to them never calling; which I realize is what they claim.

They are not bad to deal with these days, instead of being audited I get these "we don't agree with your deduction and ahve adjusted your return" letters. This year, they withheld $1K of my refund. I told wifey there was no way they would return it, but they did just a few days ago. :thumbsup

I called that number and it does not work - it is a "spoof."

Havasteve

Reaction score
When THEIRS decides to go after your money they will just go right into your bank account and have at it. Trust me, I know. :rolleyes

C-2

Reaction score
When THEIRS decides to go after your money they will just go right into your bank account and have at it. Trust me, I know. :rolleyes

Partially true, they issue of Notice of Intent to Levy first. If you ignore the Notice, they will levy, or even garnish wages. If you call them, they are always willing to accept a payment plan. You can owe them $100K and as long as you agree to pay them back within 5 years, they will accept the plan.

A garnishment against wages is ongoing, a levy is one day only. If there is $50 in your account on Thursday and the levy, they get $50. If you deposit $5000 into the same account on Friday, they don't get it.

The IRS cannot tap FINCENS, the US Treasury's database of banks. They have to do it the old fashioned way and find out where you bank - either thru return records, payments you make to them, or by asking. In Cali it's not too hard to levy bank accounts as since there are only a few large banks left. If you have your money in a small, one-off bank in town, there's a good chance they won't know about the account. That's why they ask questions like "are you still banking with Chase?"

In the cllection world, the IRS is just another creditor. They have the upper hand though as they can levy on a nationwide basis. For xample, if you live in Cali but are being Mr. Smarty pants and using an online bank in New York, the IRS can levy that account. Private creditors could not since judgments do not cross state lines without naturalizing them in the levy state first.