WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kitchen Remodel... Sinks?

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
I'm starting a kitchen remodel in the next month or so, and am curious to hear your experiences with sinks.

Wife wants a farm house sink and we can fit 30-33"

What are the pros/cons of Cast Iron, Porcelain and Copper. I'm leaning toward copper because it fits our overall design, but don't know anyone with such sink to obtain their feedback.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
What color cabinets?

They are from Home Depot, American Woodmark. All plywood construction and painted Hazelnut Glaze.

Not my first choice, but that's what the previous owner installed and rather than gutting and starting over I am just going to add to them and make the space more usable. Total budget is $5,000 compared to $25,000.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We did porcelain, years later I'm still very happy with it. Cleans up nice and still looks brand new.

I had a stainless in my last house. Scratches Real easy. Looked like shit after a few years. :thumbsdown

White porcelain looks good on my black granite to me. :)

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
We did porcelain, years later I'm still very happy with it. Cleans up nice and still looks brand new.

I had a stainless in my last house. Scratches Real easy. Looked like shit after a few years. :thumbsdown

White porcelain looks good on my black granite to me. :)

I had a stainless sink in my last house as well... Will never do that again!

NicPaus

Reaction score
They are from Home Depot, American Woodmark. All plywood construction and painted Hazelnut Glaze.

Not my first choice, but that's what the previous owner installed and rather than gutting and starting over I am just going to add to them and make the space more usable. Total budget is $5,000 compared to $25,000.

They are nice cabinets for the price. I have used them several times and the quality is better than some high end custom installs I have seen. The white porcelain cast iron will look good Have not seen many copper ones to give a opinion.

For a cheap nice kitchen I have a account at Best Cheer Stone in Anaheim. Flat boxed cabinets but all wood with soft close. All pre fab granite colors you can imagine as well.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
They are nice cabinets for the price. I have used them several times and the quality is better than some high end custom installs I have seen. The white porcelain cast iron will look good Have not seen many copper ones to give a opinion.

For a cheap nice kitchen I have a account at Best Cheer Stone in Anaheim. Flat boxed cabinets but all wood with soft close. All pre fab granite colors you can imagine as well.

Thanks. Yesterday a contractor buddy of mine also recommended Best Cheer Stone. I'll have to check them out! My wife is specifically looking for an Alaskan White granite (or something considerably close).

82daytona

Reaction score
Thanks. Yesterday a contractor buddy of mine also recommended Best Cheer Stone. I'll have to check them out! My wife is specifically looking for an Alaskan White granite (or something considerably close).

I've got Alaska white in stock right meow

82daytona

Reaction score
Will you PM me contact information? I'm looking at 2 slabs.

I'm in Ft Mohave so might be too far for you. PM sent IMG_0059.jpg

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Ended up going with a stainless sink, well, because my wife has final say and at end of day it matched better. It's bitch to keep clean, though!

Here are some progress pics. I'm grouting tomorrow night, putting in can lights this weekend or next, making floating shelves, and then finishing with paint.

The kitchen was "remodeled" in 2013 just before we bought the house. Again, not our first choice in cabinet color, but replacing the entire kitchen wasn't an option. The original cabinets were only 9' long and ended underneath the uppers. I wanted more counter top space so I slide a base cabinet down, installed our first dishwasher and bought two more base cabinets to make the peninsula. Boarded up a window, installed 2 new outlets, tiled and added crown this weekend. The granite (pre-fab) was installed last Thursday, which is the only thing I paid somebody to do.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

500bbc

Reaction score
Stainless is popular for the restaurant look to match all the stainless appliances. They are used in restaurants because they don't chip, they dent and scratch but are still functional. You can remove small scratches with 600 wet/dry just sand with the grain.

Copper will tarnish scratch and dent also.

Porcelain is great but can chip if you drop a pot in them. I don't like farmhouse personally.

Get what you like the best.:D

JaniG

Reaction score
I absolutely love my stainless farm house sink. I don't think it's that hard to keep clean either. Looks great!

530RL

Reaction score
I am biased as I own an interest in this company but if you are looking for good quality sinks, faucets, and surface types this is a pretty good place to at least shop around with respect to pricing.

http://www.surfacewarehouse.com

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
work really well for daily use .

Left is normal sized, center is 'smaller disposall use', and right is normal sized .

We have different 'inserts; for the outer sinks, and this precludes having a 'second kitchen sink' for different uses .

Did not want an second sink in the island, wanted all the 'wet work' in one area .

Third house with a '3 place kitchen sink' and love them ............