WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Builders - Best to Worst

Code3Havasu

Reaction score
We spent the weekend looking at models and have narrowed it down to a few builders. My budget is 250k, no need for more than 1700 sq ft or less, but RV garage 50ft or more is a must. I will be paying cash for the lot which we are in process of buying. Can anyone please give me a break down of the best builders out there to the don't even think about it builders. Also anyone with past experiences with banks in town that were used for construction funding would be greatly appreciated.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I would go to every house under construction and talk to the sub contractors/workers . Who do they like, who are the late payers, who pays well, who tries to cut corners, who is disorganized ........

Over 15+ years, I've dealt with a few subs, two builders, and what I would call 'too many errors' in most Havasu projects .

One of the builders is no longer in business, but Oxley continues on . I would never use him again, and neither do most of his subs, vendors, realtors . I feel that he is the King of Order Changes, which always brings added costs for items contained in the original building contract .

He asked us to sign off on the first plain set with POSTS in front of the WINDOWS, holding up the front porch . When I confronted him about it, he claimed that "that's the only way to hold it up" .

So I guess he is also NOT HONEST too. My comment; "if the house isn't strong enough to hold up the porch, I don't want it" .

Three change orders later, ($2150.00 more) and the posts were gone . I've still had to repair trusses in this roof .

I could go on, but he's just a "nickle-dime worm", and will always 'change order UP your build' .

Don't let his 'bankrupt development' fool you into a false safe zone .........

AzGeo

Reaction score
I would stay away from the 'plastic insert bathtubs', and pay a little extra for the 'walk in showers' that require no doors . So much better to keep clean .

We installed a 'water softener' and 'RO system' just after completion, our CHROME faucets have lasted without replacement, since 1995 . DO NOT order the 'temperature compensating shower faucets', they don't last . Just get regular shower faucets .

IF you need 'retaining walls', have the builder deal with it, and get the best price, and no worries .

Everything you do after the house is done, will require you to be 'watching over the work' at all times, or you get whatever you get ........

YZFRider

Reaction score
Had our house built a year and a half ago. We did the same thing. Most of the builders use the same subs. The difference is that a good builder will not let the subs get away with half ass work. In the end we went with Seville Builders and are very happy we did.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
We are just about to close on a house designed by SummitKarl and built by Kelco (Wade). Both are very easy to work with and Wade almost never charges for those inevitable little changes that show up during construction. On the few items I noticed during the build, they were remedied immediately and to perfection!

Englewood

Reaction score
What is everyone paying per foot to build?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
What is everyone paying per foot to build?

We are considering a Seville built home. We are interested in the Model 2070 with a few tweaks.
List price is $287,500 on your graded lot with a 54' RV garage

http://sevillebuilders.com/2088-seville-floor-plan/

2070_Seville_Floor_Plan.png

CobraDave

Reaction score
That list price...is that for a complete package? Landscaping/ appliances/ ready to move in?

AzGeo

Reaction score
We are just about to close on a house designed by SummitKarl and built by Kelco (Wade). Both are very easy to work with and Wade almost never charges for those inevitable little changes that show up during construction. On the few items I noticed during the build, they were remedied immediately and to perfection!

Working with builders/people, who don't make up 'stories', just give you the plane truth, can make it easy when they do and run into 'legitimate problems' .

If the roofing tile, concrete, or custom ordered windows and doors come in 'over budget', I'm always willing to work with someone who treats me honestly . Someone who has not 'nickle and dime'd' me every step of the way .

The guy is in business and I want him (and his crews) to be happy working on my project, not just 'slamming it out' .

It's good to know there are reasonable contractors still around Havasu ......

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Working with builders/people, who don't make up 'stories', just give you the plane truth, can make it easy when they do and run into 'legitimate problems' .

If the roofing tile, concrete, or custom ordered windows and doors come in 'over budget', I'm always willing to work with someone who treats me honestly . Someone who has not 'nickle and dime'd' me every step of the way .

The guy is in business and I want him (and his crews) to be happy working on my project, not just 'slamming it out' .

It's good to know there are reasonable contractors still around Havasu ......

This^^^^^

A builder has got to make a living and there are some very good ones here in town............and some not too good ones George......as you and I have discussed a few times;)

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

Both great guys........I really like working with Kelco (Wade) for all the reasons you mention.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score

CONGRATS!!!!

I would recommend Kelco Wade Kelson also.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That list price...is that for a complete package? Landscaping/ appliances/ ready to move in?

The list prices I posted does not include the land, landscaping, or a refrigerator.

Code3Havasu

Reaction score
We ended up switching gears as well after endless hours of lot searching we found a model home for sale from Cutting Edge builders. We are set to close escrow on Sept. 16th they have been a great builder to work with and have taken care of every concern we had and even included a fridge as well.

1SNYDER

Reaction score
Tom Burns Builders,He has built two houses for us,with no problems and found us the lots.The third house by the golf course,was built in 1986 and he did a complete remodel with an RV garage. We have had zero problems and loved all the houses

tankcj

Reaction score
We have a Burns home as well. It has Tech Shield roof sheathing (radiant barrier) Not sure if he built/builds all his homes like that but it sure keeps the attic (and air handler) cooler.

KevinR

Reaction score
River Ridge Builders have built a few homes for my dad. One of them is his residence, the others for investment. Wayne has been great to work with all along the process.

hvnfun

Hvnfun
Reaction score

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Google Bill Ullery, I have been in Havasu for 20 years, he is not the sort of guy I would chose to do business with.

Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: so far I learned...
He was involved in getting an ASU campus in Lake Havasu City.
2011 Citizen of the year from the chamber of commerce.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

Do they list prices online? EDIT: Yes...389k for that Horizon. gulp

I like that Horizon model, except my wife insists on a foyer and not an entry into the living room. :grumble:

The other thing is I prefer a pitch roof over the RV garage so it doesn't look like a fire station. :)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We ended up switching gears as well after endless hours of lot searching we found a model home for sale from Cutting Edge builders. We are set to close escrow on Sept. 16th they have been a great builder to work with and have taken care of every concern we had and even included a fridge as well.

Congrats! you got a week left to move :eek