WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 290 with 525hp

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
I have seen Hallett building alot of new 290s. I have only seen a few on the water. We purchased ours in 2012 and we love it. Never had a issue. 2nd one out with the new step bottom. Wondering what other owners think about it.
Year:2012
Make: Hallett Boats
Model:290s
Length:29
Engine: mercury racing 525hp
Propulsion: Bravo XR w/ ITS steering
fuel tank: 125 gallons (tank lasts a 3 day weekend)
Top speed: 79mph (Hallett says 82mph with the new step bottom) close enough

Pros: Stepped hull runs really smooth at speed. Its turns great for water skiing on the river. You can almost put your elbow in the water it turns so hard. Really solid hull. I have done 60mph through 4-5ft white caps with ease. Cruises comfortably in the 55-65 range. Cruises with 10 comfortably. Tons of storage. Front ski locker has 4 skis and a small EZ-up in it. i have nothing but great things to say about this boat.

cons: none from me. This is my first boat. I purchased it with my brother. I'm not a expert. I did my own research for 2 years before I decided to purchase this boat and my family and I love it. the only thing I would consider for my future boat would be a Hallett or Howard deck boat because I have 2 labs and I get tired of carrying them in and out of the boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 556
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 576
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 607
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 574
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 588
  • 878_926212720781877_895084263991445532_n.jpg
    878_926212720781877_895084263991445532_n.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 573

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I for one love it. Btw welcome to Rdp lol

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The new bottom performs really well. Water tested one with a 520 the other day. Still trying to figure out the particulars.

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
The new bottom performs really well. Water tested one with a 520 the other day. Still trying to figure out the particulars.

ok. Somebody asked me how I thought it handled with the ITS steering. Wondering what the difference with handling would be?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
ok. Somebody asked me how I thought it handled with the ITS steering. Wondering what the difference with handling would be?

The ITS is an extension box and steering built in. Could be a sportmaster lower also. It's going to handle different then an XR bolted to the transom.

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
Great looking gel & color combo on your 290, looks fantastic!

How does she run with the single 525EFI?

Thanks. Boat empty with one person and minimal fuel I hit 79mph with the gps on the vessel view. Loaded up with a full tank and 8 people it's about 70-72mph. It is always so smooth.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have seen Hallett building alot of new 290s. I have only seen a few on the water. We purchased ours in 2012 and we love it. Never had a issue. 2nd one out with the new step bottom. Wondering what other owners think about it.

Just beautiful...

:thumbsup

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
how does the boat handle with people in open bow?

I don't notice the extra weight if that is what you mean. The trim tabs bring the front down more than my passengers ever would. I don't have a issue turning either. When we ski I usually have my flagger and another person up there. It turns so sharp that can almost drag a elbow on the water.

Dalton

Reaction score
The ITS is an extension box and steering built in. Could be a sportmaster lower also. It's going to handle different then an XR bolted to the transom.

Is ITS an expensive upgrade? I don't think i see it too much

fastenuff3

Reaction score
i have a 290s 600sci bravo xr. no its. it has imco steering. in stock set up it would not carry the nose with any body in bow. I put a inch and a half drive spacer and a maximus 5 blade to help problem. it can cruise at 40 mph and it runs low 90s

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
i have a 290s 600sci bravo xr. no its. it has imco steering. in stock set up it would not carry the nose with any body in bow. I put a inch and a half drive spacer and a maximus 5 blade to help problem. it can cruise at 40 mph and it runs low 90s

What year is your 290? I am looking at a 2011 with a 8.3 MAG HO and a bravo 3. Wondering if it would have the same problem.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What year is your 290? I am looking at a 2011 with a 8.3 MAG HO and a bravo 3. Wondering if it would have the same problem.

I'm willing to bet big it is not the Peters bottom. So far I have heard zero negative on the performance of that newer hull.

I'm thinking the only downside on that deal is going to be the 8.3, you'll probably be wanting more power after you get a little seat time. Not that there's anything wrong with the 8.3 mind you, it will provide years of trusted service.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Year:2012
Make: Hallett Boats
Model:290s
Length:29
Engine: mercury racing 525hp
Propulsion: Bravo XR w/ ITS steering
fuel tank: 125 gallons (tank lasts a 3 day weekend)
Top speed: 79mph (Hallett says 82mph with the new step bottom) close enough

Pros: Stepped hull runs really smooth at speed. Its turns great for water skiing on the river. You can almost put your elbow in the water it turns so hard. Really solid hull. I have done 60mph through 4-5ft white caps with ease. Cruises comfortably in the 55-65 range. Cruises with 10 comfortably. Tons of storage. Front ski locker has 4 skis and a small EZ-up in it. i have nothing but great things to say about this boat.

cons: none from me. This is my first boat. I purchased it with my brother. I'm not a expert. I did my own research for 2 years before I decided to purchase this boat and my family and I love it. the only thing I would consider for my future boat would be a Hallett or Howard deck boat because I have 2 labs and I get tired of carrying them in and out of the boat.
You know? Hallett can install the side door on a 29 I think? Wouldn't have to lift the dogs ever again. ;)

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet big it is not the Peters bottom. So far I have heard zero negative on the performance of that newer hull.

I'm thinking the only downside on that deal is going to be the 8.3, you'll probably be wanting more power after you get a little seat time. Not that there's anything wrong with the 8.3 mind you, it will provide years of trusted service.

Gelcoater,

Have you heard anything about the previous 290 hull with the air releasing side vents?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Gelcoater,

Have you heard anything about the previous 290 hull with the air releasing side vents?

Pretty much what that other guy was saying about laying down with weight, and just weight sensitive as far as placement.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Gelcoater,

The side vents pull air through and down to the step in the water. Which helps to break the adhesion of the bottom to water.

We have a 335. The bottom is very similar. I have only run into the low 80's in limited seat time. So far it feels great.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
my 290 is a 2008. the boat handles great I do not have those holes in the side. my problem was to high of x and boat could not carry nose with people in open bow. the bravo three may carry nose better. that boat is a walk throw so it is lighter. I agree with gelpro the boat is heavy and needs horespower

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
290's are bitchen and you rarely see them for sale like the Lavey 2950 and the Eliminator 300 Eagle. Here is a 290 that went to an underserving owner and was slightly abused. Lol.

http://boattest.com/view-news/4223_hallett-290-goes-fast-and-climbs-rocks-too!

Should be noted that it was the old step bottom, not the new Peters bottom. The Undeserving owner as you put it was actually part of the IMCO family, and there is a lot of bad blood & there was lawsuits over that deal..

The new 290 with the Peters bottom is absolutely bad ass, and I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

You know? Hallett can install the side door on a 29 I think? Wouldn't have to lift the dogs ever again. ;)

No shit? I'd be real curious to see what that would look like! The 290 Hallett is probably my favorite Vee bottom out there right now.

RD

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Should be noted that it was the old step bottom, not the new Peters bottom. The Undeserving owner as you put it was actually part of the IMCO family, and there is a lot of bad blood & there was lawsuits over that deal..

The new 290 with the Peters bottom is absolutely bad ass, and I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

No shit? I'd be real curious to see what that would look like! The 290 Hallett is probably my favorite Vee bottom out there right now.

RD

I don't see why not?
That door setup is an insert deal, so ideally it would be installed before the boat is layed up.
But!
I have seen them retro the door into existing boats.

I think it would be cool to have, especially for someone with big dogs or persons who have issue climbing up into the boat.

Big Crapolla

Lake Mead Bound
Reaction score
I've got a new 290 step with an HP 520 and with very limited seat time I think it's as good or better than my previous 270. Just different and it'll take time to adjust. Can't get used to no bow rise although with my 270, there wasn't much either. My biggest adjustment is the vessel view.
Also trying to get used to the higher sole / floor. They raised it up to adjust for the twin steps. Again, different but not bad. At least now people sitting on the rear bench seat can see over the front windscreen now.

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
I've got a new 290 step with an HP 520 and with very limited seat time I think it's as good or better than my previous 270. Just different and it'll take time to adjust. Can't get used to no bow rise although with my 270, there wasn't much either. My biggest adjustment is the vessel view.
Also trying to get used to the higher sole / floor. They raised it up to adjust for the twin steps. Again, different but not bad. At least now people sitting on the rear bench seat can see over the front windscreen now.

I never realized how nice the back seat was until I rode in my buddies Hallett 270 and Cobra 260 and you can't see over the dash from the back seat. I'm 6'2.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I never realized how nice the back seat was until I rode in my buddies Hallett 270 and Cobra 260 and you can't see over the dash from the back seat. I'm 6'2.

Grew up in a 27. Same complaints from friends and family. Not being able to see out from the back. Growing up in it I was just used to it. The 290 has great visibility. We just picked up a 335. It is the same. You can see great from the back seat. The safety glass windshield blocks the wind great.

ServiceCall$

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2010 290 with the 525. I am excited to see how it performs and handles.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2010 290 with the 525. I am excited to see how it performs and handles.

you will love it. where do you boat in ill.i live in southern ill we boat every where.we took our 290 to the Ozarks 3 times this year and you will be surprised how it handles the big water.

ServiceCall$

Reaction score
you will love it. where do you boat in ill.i live in southern ill we boat every where.we took our 290 to the Ozarks 3 times this year and you will be surprised how it handles the big water.

That's good to hear, we go to LOTO 3 times a year and on a weekend in the main channel can be ruff! We usually boat the Illinois river.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I think my buddy picked it up. A guy drive out from Cali?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 260

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yup, to funny. Was just taking to him about it the other day.

Planning on making a trip to havi first weekend in Nov. if he doesn't run it before that, it would be its first trip out. He's excited to run it. Said this makes his HTM look small.

ServiceCall$

Reaction score
Yup, to funny. Was just taking to him about it the other day.

Planning on making a trip to havi first weekend in Nov. if he doesn't run it before that, it would be its first trip out. He's excited to run it. Said this makes his HTM look small.

Yea its a big boat and nice layout. I would have defiantly kept it if it were better in the big waters like the Ozarks.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Awesome! What kinda top speed, does it handle well? I bought it sight unseen and am having it shipped back to me so I do not even have it yet.
We called it the limo. Rides like a dream.

From a driving standpoint, I thought it handled very well and felt solid. No chine at higher speeds and just a little bit of trim freed it up.

Best we saw was 81 on GPS.

ServiceCall$

Reaction score
We called it the limo. Rides like a dream.

From a driving standpoint, I thought it handled very well and felt solid. No chine at higher speeds and just a little bit of trim freed it up.

Best we saw was 81 on GPS.

Glad to hear. That's a pretty impressive speed for a single that size.