WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Lots

Englewood

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a lot in Havasu soon. What are the obvious things to look for?

Certain areas to stay away from? Certain Roads to avoid? Min size to build on...etc. Any advice is appreciated.

Code3Havasu

Reaction score
The best thing I can recommend is if you plan on building the home with a builder in town make your decision who you want to build with and do the land search with them. We have run into numerous issues in the past few weeks dealing with a some what flat level lot still needing close to 10k worth of work to begin building on. I am going back this weekend to purchase a lot we finally found will work for our build, but it was a two week non stop search and headache. Lots are going quick and a very overpriced ! We got lucky by going through by owner and paying cash to low ball. Hope this helps.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
get a map of where the GAS LINES are . If you can get a lot on natural gas, you will save a bunch of money in the long run .

IMO most of the realtors want you to choose quickly, and not wisely, they don't have to endure what you will go thru once the house is built .

"Location, location, location", is a major factor, yet realtors here are so hungry that they will tell you 'something else' . I've been told that my lot with a tremendous view, is not worth anything today .

You need to decide what kind of lot, access, view, street curbs, and lot dirt work, you have in mind, BEFORE you buy anything .

NEVER BUY ANYTHING that ends up cut down below street grade in any area !!! When it rains here, it rains like a MF'r, and your yard could be flooded for no good reason . (I've seen this done)

The builders don't care if your house or garage get flooded, they cut the lot 'to code' ...........

BajaWarrior

Reaction score
There are many homesites that fall within the RE (residential estates)area (mainly the golf course area) that have strict setbacks. For instance 10' setback on the sideyards plus corner lots have 20' setbacks. Also look for height restrictions. Most neighborhoods have a 15' height limit.

We own a lot off of Jamaica and Acoma, dead flat lot with only 2' of soil to remove throughout when we build someday. No power lines and all the homes on our street (Indian Land Dr.) are nice looking. We're the last available lot on our street. Not building at this time, we have a killer view home in Parker Az. side.

TCHB

Reaction score
I would not buy a typical lot with no view or privacy.

Look on the golf coarse on Acoma for lots. There is not that many left but there is a few that could make nice home sites.

1. You would have no neighbor behind you.
2. The green grass is great to look at during the heat of summer.
3. Nice homes around
4. Resale due to location

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
There are a few places I would build in Havasu. I would give Paul65k a call to help you find the lot. He will save you time and aggravation. The foothills are turnkey, I agree with TCHB's post, I like Blackhill RD. and Bison RD. If you want to be towards the water a Sailing Hawk and Refuge but the lots are tight / different deal there. Everywhere else to me is the random streets of the random houses you wish you could bulldoze.

azmedic2007

Reaction score
Having dealt with AZ and desert thunderstorms, drainage is a huge deal. I don't usually pimp myself out on a forum but I do custom home design for a business and will tell you that a lot of builders will take a track home design and modify it a bit then call it custom. I'm not saying that about anyone in particular, but have run across that in the past. It's also important to have a person that understands the building codes, can give you an appropriate site plan with drainage plans and is able to work well with the building department. The past few years, the building codes have started to get more strict both in CA and AZ.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Having dealt with AZ and desert thunderstorms, drainage is a huge deal. I don't usually pimp myself out on a forum but I do custom home design for a business and will tell you that a lot of builders will take a track home design and modify it a bit then call it custom. I'm not saying that about anyone in particular, but have run across that in the past. It's also important to have a person that understands the building codes, can give you an appropriate site plan with drainage plans and is able to work well with the building department. The past few years, the building codes have started to get more strict both in CA and AZ.
Let me respond to this thread and this Post in particular. I've been watching this thread as I'm actually working with Code3Havasu in his search as well...........so trying to stay out of the discussion but feel the need to jump in now.

Couple of points and hopefully SummitKarl is also monitoring this thread and will contribute as he is one of the most knowledgeable folks on here as well.

First of all there are pretty much NO tract homes here in Havasu with the exception of some Nationwide homes that were built in Sun Lake Villages, Canterbury and the Refuge in the late 90's and early 2000's) and even those were highly modifiable during the build. While Nationwide did offer 4 or 5 unique designs in each development, those builds were done with the traditional "buy a lot, get a construction loan and then use "Take Out" or permanent financing when the build was complete model of a custom build........this in no way is anything like the traditional "Tract builders" that operate in So Cal, Vegas and Phoenix as an example whi build/finance and then sell a completed product when finished.

Secondly when Robert McCulloch laid out LHC in the 60's (With CV Wood who also helped Walt Disney lay out Disneyland) he wanted the entire town to be custom homes and as a result almost every home that has been built since day one has been a "Custom" design and tracts were specifically avoided through zoning, so while some of these designs have become popular and replicated almost everyone of them are specifically modified to take advantage of the particular lot on which they are being built.

On another point drainage in Havasu has ALWAYS been an issue and this is one of the primary reasons that the streets seem to run willy nilly in all directions vs the traditional North/South grid system that are prevalent in may areas of the country. When McCulloch started he was selling lots starting at $250 and he just didn't have the money to lay out a grid, put in underground drainage, utilities, etc... So as a result we have washes for drainage and most homes are built with this in mind......although it is important to make sure you are working with a Builder/architect that is completely familiar with Havasu because we truly are different than other towns and a seasoned designer and builder is a absolute requirement here in Havasu more than almost anywhere else I know which is why builders/designers from out of town just don't last here because......HAVASU IS DIFFERENT.

Make sure you are working with a Professional who has the experience and expertise to guide you through a build that meets your needs and takes the issues that are unique to Havasu as this truly is a special (albeit unique) place;)

azmedic2007

Reaction score
Let me respond to this thread and this Post in particular. I've been watching this thread as I'm actually working with Code3Havasu in his search as well...........so trying to stay out of the discussion but feel the need to jump in now.

Couple of points and hopefully SummitKarl is also monitoring this thread and will contribute as he is one of the most knowledgeable folks on here as well.

First of all there are pretty much NO tract homes here in Havasu with the exception of some Nationwide homes that were built in Sun Lake Villages, Canterbury and the Refuge in the late 90's and early 2000's) and even those were highly modifiable during the build. While Nationwide did offer 4 or 5 unique designs in each development, those builds were done with the traditional "buy a lot, get a construction loan and then use "Take Out" or permanent financing when the build was complete model of a custom build........this in no way is anything like the traditional "Tract builders" that operate in So Cal, Vegas and Phoenix as an example whi build/finance and then sell a completed product when finished.

Secondly when Robert McCulloch laid out LHC in the 60's (With CV Wood who also helped Walt Disney lay out Disneyland) he wanted the entire town to be custom homes and as a result almost every home that has been built since day one has been a "Custom" design and tracts were specifically avoided through zoning, so while some of these designs have become popular and replicated almost everyone of them are specifically modified to take advantage of the particular lot on which they are being built.

On another point drainage in Havasu has ALWAYS been an issue and this is one of the primary reasons that the streets seem to run willy nilly in all directions vs the traditional North/South grid system that are prevalent in may areas of the country. When McCulloch started he was selling lots starting at $250 and he just didn't have the money to lay out a grid, put in underground drainage, utilities, etc... So as a result we have washes for drainage and most homes are built with this in mind......although it is important to make sure you are working with a Builder/architect that is completely familiar with Havasu because we truly are different than other towns and a seasoned designer and builder is a absolute requirement here in Havasu more than almost anywhere else I know which is why builders/designers from out of town just don't last here because......HAVASU IS DIFFERENT.

Make sure you are working with a Professional who has the experience and expertise to guide you through a build that meets your needs and takes the issues that are unique to Havasu as this truly is a special (albeit unique) place;)

Like I said, wasn't being specific as I know sometimes builders from out of town try to come in and get business. Just wanted to make sure every point is explored. One last point I'd like to make and forgot to mention from a design standpoint...No matter what you do and the best you try, you will usually not think of something down the road because your lifestyle and circumstances may change. I always tell people to not beat themselves up over all the wish lists too much. Good luck with your search and build.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
One last point I'd like to make and forgot to mention from a design standpoint...No matter what you do and the best you try, you will usually not think of something down the road because your lifestyle and circumstances may change. I always tell people to not beat themselves up over all the wish lists too much. Good luck with your search and build.
Man....truer words have never been spoken :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Neighbor mentioned this weekend he is going to sell his lot. Already did the improvements so it is ready to be built on. 2/3 of a acre with views of the landing. If anyone is interested I can get the info.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Sorry for hitting my golf ball on your lot.

You hooked one? :) It will be interesting to see how many errant balls we get.
Neighbor has a huge net. I'm thinking most peeps can at least hit one over my house.