WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opinions on switching to Apple for my next computer please....

wash11

Reaction score
I've been nursing this laptop along for quite awhile. I know the time is near. After switching to an Iphone a couple years ago I started to consider a Mac book for my next computer. Pro's? Con's?

jeffymurray1957

Reaction score
I have an I phone6Plus, an I Pad and an Mac Air Laptop. I like the fact that they sync between them my photo's and other info. So far the laptop has not given me one time of screwing up. There is a learning curve and I only do basic things but I am very happy I made the switch.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I was a PC guy for years... Started with an iPhone then an iPad and now a iMac ... I have not regretted my decision once. Everything works... All the time ... Every time.

If you like to tinker and mess with settings and have to update... Stick with a PC. I like a computer to just work... I don't need to reprogram the world so I love my Apple products.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Such a relief having an iMac. Had it eight years now and no issues. They even have issued free operating system updates!

Not with Windows...

Sandlord

Reaction score
I bought this macbook pro in 2010. It took a little getting used too.
I have never installed any type of virus software. and have never had any issues.
for office software, I use Microsoft Office 365, its $100 per year for 5 computers, 5 tablets, and phones.
Judy has gone through 3 windows based laptops since 2010, she's on her 4th now.

edited to add,
My battery lasts a lot longer than her windows based machine. Hours longer.

another1sl

Reaction score
DO IT!! Best thing i ever did. I too, did the iPhone i pad, mac book pro, then another mac boo pro (i wanted the solid state hard drive, its faster and bigger) and now i have the mac daddy iMac in my home office. Same experience, everything just works! every time. Syncs together seamless. We have apple tvs, apple wifi, and apple watch. We love apple. Both my laptops still work, only issue i ever had was i broke a screen when my little one stepped on it, then i dropped it at the air port and some connection broke loose, but they were all repairable. Learning curve is small, but apples help desk is free and amazing. They will spend as much time with you as you want to. And they will help migrate everything.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Yeah it takes getting used to.
You ask any kid and they all want Windows.
Maybe it's because it's what they all learn on. Damfino.

I prefer MAC but was it ever frustrating getting the hang of it.
It think compared to windows learning the Apple always has this extra step or button to push with no prompting, wizard or icon to help, you have to figure it out on your own and sometimes you hit a wall of hate.

Granny Axehandle asked if she should change to Mac and we said yes.
It took her 6 months and tutoring to get the hang of it and was she ever pissed.
German version of Ricky Ricardo yelling at Lucy in Spanish.

The Apple store has tutoring. The first year it was free, after that it was $60.
Take notes.
Once you get the hang of Apple you sail.

Still haven't figured out how to upload videos directly from our iPhone 6 to the MacBook.
It just all sits there lit up and nothing responds or happens.
You can click and try and it's just responds with hate.

C-2

Reaction score

I think it's simply convenience, kids want to download everything. I have my daughter using Ubuntu linux which is very similar to Mac OS, she hates me for it since she can't download stuff at-will.

MAC are great machines, I just can't justify the price for them. My everyday Windows machines are 12 years, 7 and 7 years old. All computers require maintenance just a like an engine, MACS less, but you still need to stay up on updates.

Some people should have MACS :D

propcheck

Reaction score
Questions like this are difficult to answer because the fact is your preference is based on your specific needs and comfort level with a particular operating system. So that being my disclaimer, my opinion is that Apple products are better. I don't program so open platforms don't matter but I like the interoperability of all my devices and my "cloud" based system to work through issues the wife and kids may be having with software. It allows a family to have the benefits of a networking system so administration is easier. This is available on a P.C. System as well but I feel Apple has made it more user friendly. Oh and for movie,photo,and graphics programs I like Apple. :thumbsup

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The Mac will be like a giant Iphone in many ways.
We also started with Iphones and within a year I had an Imac and have never looked back.
I was died in the wool PC, my laptops are still PC but only because of my windows based work programs.
When I get a macpro I will just boot to windows for those programs.
I can not imagine ever again running a PC as my home computer.

Get tutored, get "Mac for dummies", remember..."finder" is your friend.
Do not explore into things like "keychain" until you have a full understanding of what it is.

Anything I run up against I simply google and all the answers are there.

I know a lot of techies who mock Apple and have multiple devices that they crow on about how they program this and that and how Apple shit is for mouth breathers...good, I have better things to do than write programs and tinker with building devices...I just click an app and it works every single time.

Our Mac, Debs Ipad, our Iphones and Apple TV boxes ALL work flawlessly and in synch. I sit in my recliner and run the computer from my remote phone app on the plasma widescreen and stream anything from itunes or any device.

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score
I've been nursing this laptop along for quite awhile. I know the time is near. After switching to an Iphone a couple years ago I started to consider a Mac book for my next computer. Pro's? Con's?

Really? You wouldn't come to me with this question? :rolleyes

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I was a PC guy for years... Started with an iPhone then an iPad and now a iMac ... I have not regretted my decision once. Everything works... All the time ... Every time.

If you like to tinker and mess with settings and have to update... Stick with a PC. I like a computer to just work... I don't need to reprogram the world so I love my Apple products.

x2, I also like that their OS upgrades are free. I used to pay what seemed like $100+ for the next version of Windows OS. I don't ever recall paying for Mac OS upgrades. I've had my Macbook for 6 years, only had one problem with it, had to do with the battery. Bought it from Apple's website from the refurbished section, saved a couple hundred and never looked back. As Yopengo said, integration with iPad and iPhones is seamless. I can respond to emails and texts from any of my devices and they are all sync'd. Although I do find it funny when someone sends me a text and 4 different devices all ding :D

Forensic

No Title
Reaction score
At the consumer level it's personal preference. If you use the right mouse button and like to have more granular control over your computer a mac may not be for you. However, if you 'just want it to work' and don't mind paying a premium then maybe it is.

I am no fan of Mac but I understand their appeal. I hear the new ones can run MacOS and Windows side by side so that's a plus. There is a lot of power inside a Mac, the trouble is that it's locked up by the OS.

Whatever vendor you choose, make a $$ to $$ comparison. Many find out that for the same price of apple hardware a superior pc alternative is available. Apples version of entry level is the iPhone. They don't skimp on hardware when building their laptop or desktop systems.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
If you run bootcamp you can still have your Windows as you can dual boot. All 5 of my Macs are setup to run both OS. Old Windows habits are hard to break and I like having the option to go back and forth!

wash11

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Basic internet stuff plus photo handling etc would be 90% of use but hope to do some video editing in the future. I'm impressed at the near zero problems my iPhone has and had heard that carried through to the computers as well, sounds like this is the case.

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score
You're anti I phone so... No.

I wouldn't say I'm "anti iPhone" it's just not my preference...

My opinion of the iMacs and iBooks is pretty much in line with what Forensic had to say. They are simple yet powerful with a premium price because Apple. For the same costs, most times, a Windows machine will come with more powerful hardware.

I think for the type of use I've seen you use your computer for an iBook would work well for you. And you can see all those unread messages on two screens instead of just one... :D

X-rated

Reaction score

I prefer MAC but was it ever frustrating getting the hang of it.
It think compared to windows learning the Apple always has this extra step or button to push with no prompting, wizard or icon to help, you have to figure it out on your own and sometimes you hit a wall of hate.

Granny Axehandle asked if she should change to Mac and we said yes.
It took her 6 months and tutoring to get the hang of it and was she ever pissed.
German version of Ricky Ricardo yelling at Lucy in Spanish.

The Apple store has tutoring. The first year it was free, after that it was $60.
Take notes.
Once you get the hang of Apple you sail.

Still haven't figured out how to upload videos directly from our iPhone 6 to the MacBook.
It just all sits there lit up and nothing responds or happens.
You can click and try and it's just responds with hate.

BEST GIF YET!!!

X-rated

Reaction score
Apparently the GIF's don't follow the quotes, but really TPC's latest is the BEST GIF EVER!!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If you are not a gamer or a technogeek then just make the switch.

Apple stuff works, for the most part, pretty flawlessly.

It's just really expensive compared to windows machines. I look at it as pre paying for support, it's why my Mom has an Airbook and an IMac, so I don;t have to spend hours on the phone with her :D

rvrrun

Reaction score
If you are not a gamer or a technogeek then just make the switch.

Apple stuff works, for the most part, pretty flawlessly.

It's just really expensive compared to windows machines. I look at it as pre paying for support, it's why my Mom has an Airbook and an IMac, so I don;t have to spend hours on the phone with her :D

Macs have been proven to be less expensive than similarly equipped PC's, Apple just doesn't sell a bargain basement model. It's getting tougher to compare them now, but the older, aluminum case Mac Pros were competitively priced with other workstations that had the same processor, drives, GPU etc. They are expensive, but no more expensive than a windows machine equipped the same.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Macs have been proven to be less expensive than similarly equipped PC's, Apple just doesn't sell a bargain basement model. It's getting tougher to compare them now, but the older, aluminum case Mac Pros were competitively priced with other workstations that had the same processor, drives, GPU etc. They are expensive, but no more expensive than a windows machine equipped the same.

I build my own shit, I would never buy anything from ANY manfacturer.

Every premade I have ever taken apart was total garbage.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Joel, my bro in law Chad (who I think you know) went all in with the mac thing awhile back. iPhones, mac books, the whole nine yards...It all went in the trash. The hardware is the same, don't be fooled by anyone's bullshit. The opperating system is the only difference, and mac is Very different. The only person I know that uses them both back to back is pronstar. He has no choice. He has to have em both for work. He could probably give you a clear answer.I'm with yarder, I see zero reason to pay more for less. *shrug*

rolltide

Reaction score
We've had the same MacBook Pro for 7 years with absolutely no problems. About a year ago we added memory to it because the wife has a ton of pics! Unlike the PC's we've had in the past no glitches, viruses or any other crap that PC's get. They do cost more but last a lot longer.

C-2

Reaction score
Too me, I think the classic G5 is just bad ass, beautiful piece of machinery. I've been eyeballing them and will probably pick one up this weekend since prices have finally dropped to about $100. I just want one to stare at. Kind of like my guns.:D

g5inside.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It's like a box of choclates...[emoji4]

rvrrun

Reaction score
Too me, I think the classic G5 is just bad ass, beautiful piece of machinery. I've been eyeballing them and will probably pick one up this weekend since prices have finally dropped to about $100. I just want one to stare at. Kind of like my guns.:D

View attachment 500704

Steve was as obsessed with the appearance of the inside as he was with the exterior. Every Mac we have owned (dating back to the classic) is still operational and filling a need. The only exception was my liquid cooled G5 Mac Pro that sprung a glycol leak. Apple replaced that with a new Mac Pro at no charge, and it was 5 years out of warranty.