WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aluminum head with cast block?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
If you were to use an aluminum head on a cast block, would you still use a stainless head gasket? Does that introduce a 3rd different metal with more elecrolysis? Is there a better material for the head gasket?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
So what I am hearing from RDP is to use the correct aluminum/cast automotive gasket not the traditional marine gasket? I am considering the edlebrock top end power kits (all aluminum) and I guess it's best to use the gasket kit it comes with instead of substitution of a marine style head gasket.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
So what I am hearing from RDP is to use the correct aluminum/cast automotive gasket not the traditional marine gasket? I am considering the edlebrock top end power kits (all aluminum) and I guess it's best to use the gasket kit it comes with instead of substitution of a marine style head gasket.

Yes.

Rotten deal

Reaction score

Yes. Used to always use copper with o ring installed but have been using cometic mls even on supercharged up past 12 lbs of boost and 1200 hp and they haven't failed us yet.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
GM engines have been running MLS head gaskets for going on 20 years. MLS works great, not sure about boat engines in salt water with open cooling though. Boat in the sig doesn't look like it will ever hit salt water so MLS, no questions asked.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I am not a cometic fan, especially the thinner offerings they sell that are used to bump compression. Very unforgiving of any defect in the head or block surface, they have to be prepped just right and to the correct RA.
MLS felpro for me....and factory GM MLS offering if it's an LS motor every time

poncho

Reaction score
I am not a cometic fan, especially the thinner offerings they sell that are used to bump compression. Very unforgiving of any defect in the head or block surface, they have to be prepped just right and to the correct RA.
MLS felpro for me....and factory GM MLS offering if it's an LS motor every time

Two engine builder friends steered me to the Fel-Pro on my build, GM block, AFR heads.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I posted this over in engines but there seems to be a little more action over here. I am definitely considering having the existing cast iron heads looked and maybe rebuilt. BUT I am having a hard time with the economics of reworking the old cast iron heads. I can get one of the complete edlebrock top end power packages with new aluminum heads and manifold for the same price as I think it would cost me to individually get all the same components (bolts/gaskets/timing chain/ etc...). Even then I would end up spending about the same and end up with older cast iron head with the least desirable casting (624). It seems to me it would be worth even a little bit more to just get a complete top end kit with aluminum heads, so at about 1700 bucks either way (cast rebuild or new aluminum) I was thinking to just pull the trigger and bolt on a "new" top end and not even messing with the old heads. This if for a 'refresh' on the eliminator whaler in my avatar. The lower end is a gm 350 with 310HP 4 bolt main. The motor is out of the boat on on the stand for an interior job...