WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pebble Beach / Monterey week...

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Coming down 101 yesterday you could see cars returning from Monterey. Lots of M cars and a few exotics.
If your a fan of what we used to call,the Tiffany Easter egg French curve cars, a trip to Mullins "museum" is worth it.
I got to prepare and Shepard some Mullins cars for a few years. Definatly a life experience. He can tell people with eff you money, to eff off! Good to see he was driving a car at the historic, he's gettin up there.

sirbob

Reaction score
Coming down 101 yesterday you could see cars returning from Monterey. Lots of M cars and a few exotics.
If your a fan of what we used to call,the Tiffany Easter egg French curve cars, a trip to Mullins "museum" is worth it.
I got to prepare and Shepard some Mullins cars for a few years. Definatly a life experience. He can tell people with eff you money, to eff off! Good to see he was driving a car at the historic, he's gettin up there.

I really liked the 2 tone blue car he was driving - I really thought it could have won overall.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I'll have to catch the replay this week. Lots of politics on the lawn!

sirbob

Reaction score
Can you call 13+ million a bit of a let down ?

Image1471959661.726912.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/a30486

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Smh. You can never tell what the market will do. Guy I know has a GT. He was going to sell it 6or7 years ago. Look at the price of those now. Maybe the Cobra deal has finally started to fade?

sirbob

Reaction score
It always takes 2 guys in the room ... And an open bidder bar !

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
LOL,ya right? Wonder how many guys are waking up right now, sitting on the edge of the bed with their head in their hands thinking, "shit......"

boatpi

Reaction score
You can see this on the way up too, everyone is out.

Attachments

• pch view.jpg
    pch view.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 12

sirbob

Reaction score
I think it's a major disappointment, should have been closer to 20M. It goes to show you that American make's will never command the money of European brands.

I get what you are saying and for sure Shelby is an American icon...

But dropping a V8 in a small English car is not the same in my mind as what Alfa did (when Enzo was racing them). Or what Ferrari did when he started his own company or Aston Martin or Jaguar etc ...

Those are real car companies with their pure history of making things from scratch.

In my mind as much as I love American and Shelby - they are always going to be a notch below the other types of companies I mentioned.

The only exception in the Shelby world to me is the Daytona that Peter Brock designed and Shelby won with.

spectras only

Reaction score
I get what you are saying and for sure Shelby is an American icon...

But dropping a V8 in a small English car is not the same in my mind as what Alfa did (when Enzo was racing them). Or what Ferrari did when he started his own company or Aston Martin or Jaguar etc ...

Expecting to get more for a Shelby than some true marks is insane.
Check out the Lancia D24, Shelby is just a kit car next to it.;) https://www.google.com/search?q=lan...2&ved=0ahUKEwi1uvj83NjOAhXCmR4KHbbeA3MQsAQIGw

Interestingly, Back a few years ago, the snobs at Pebble Beach didn't even look at my friend's car that has Brookland racing history.
Austin 7 Special,supercharged,lol

url]

url]

BTW, friends and I are building a Porsche 904, using some original pieces, and a six cyl instead of a four to be raced at the Historic races in Mission Raceway BC.

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
You can see this on the way up too, everyone is out.

Funny story; production put us up at the janky Travel Lodge motel while working Pebble. Not your regular hotel accommodations at all. Funny part is that the parking lot was FULL of Lambos, S Class Benz's, Bentleys, classics & Ferrari's. It was definitely out of the ordinary.

sirbob

Reaction score
Funny story; production put us up at the janky Travel Lodge motel while working Pebble. Not your regular hotel accommodations at all. Funny part is that the parking lot was FULL of Lambos, S Class Benz's, Bentleys, classics & Ferrari's. It was definitely out of the ordinary.

And it was not priced like a typical Travel Lodge the week either !

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Expecting to get more for a Shelby than some true marks is insane.
Check out the Lancia D24, Shelby is just a kit car next to it.;) https://www.google.com/search?q=lan...2&ved=0ahUKEwi1uvj83NjOAhXCmR4KHbbeA3MQsAQIGw

Interestingly, Back a few years ago, the snobs at Pebble Beach didn't even look at my friend's car that has Brookland racing history.
Austin 7 Special,supercharged,lol

url]

url]

BTW, friends and I are building a Porsche 904, using some original pieces, and a six cyl instead of a four to be raced at the Historic races in Mission Raceway BC.
The fix is in for sure at pebble. Judging can start years be for a car even shows up. I took a 1923 Mercedes that had huge provenance, for a major player. The car toured flawlessly and we could be seen driving it around the peninsula LOL. When we saw the poster for that year a car in our class was on it (Mormon meteor). We just looked at each other and laughed, pressure for first was off.

boatpi

Reaction score
During a two week period their is nothing under $300 a night even at a sleezy motel in Seaside. Hilton Garden Inn is $595 at one point.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Did you feel attendance was down this year? Looked like it on camera. Where was your camera position?

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Rumor was that the Travel Lodge was close to $600 because of its proximity to 17 Mile...

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Did you feel attendance was down this year? Looked like it on camera. Where was your camera position?

Numbers were down, no doubt. Plenty of discussion about shooting around holes (empty seats/areas). Walking around the fairway wasn't that difficult and getting clear pictures was easier than usual though timing is everything when taking pics in that type of crowd.

I was engineering the function of multiple cameras, 1, 2, 3, & 5 so I had the luxury of wandering around since everything was working so well. Lol.

Cam 1 was the roving camera before the ramp showing class top 3 prior to place announcements & doing interviews.

Cam 2 was the camera at car level at the top center of the ramp.

Cam 3 was the 24 foot jib arm at the ramp itself making all the flying moves over the cars & ramp audience.

Cam 5 was another rover that kind of got stuck shooting the cars rounding the turn after leaving the ramp and interviews/commentary. The Porsche video I posted above was from the cam 5 position though I shot that specific clip on my iPhone.

I watched most of the show from my tech world in the back of the vip tent, house left of the ramp.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
A few of the pix a friend shot.

IMG_1788.jpg IMG_1771.jpg IMG_1763.jpg IMG_1760.jpg 090.jpg IMG_1737.jpg IMG_1734.jpg IMG_1712.jpg IMG_1702.jpg IMG_1690.jpg IMG_1620.jpg IMG_1614.jpg IMG_1597.jpg

sirbob

Reaction score
Wow some really cool pictures !

Image1472187645.627128.jpg

Image1472187655.308696.jpg

Image1472187664.962761.jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
you have to begin somewhere:

[video=youtube;Tfawy6QPvrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfawy6QPvrY[/video]

sirbob

Reaction score
you have to begin somewhere:

[video=youtube;Tfawy6QPvrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfawy6QPvrY[/video]

I met in Calabasas a few times years ago for the drive up - it looks like it's grown a bit !

Great times for all.