WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

camshaft broke?

amh44

Reaction score
has anyone ever seen a cam break at the distributer drive gear and make a clean break

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
has anyone ever seen a cam break at the distributer drive gear and make a clean break

Bit prior to the cam gear on this one last month.

image.jpg

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
What kind? flat tappet or roller? Cranes flat tappet cams are cast iron, their rollers are steel billet.

Hard to tell for sure, but the narrow wear pattern makes me think it's a flat tappet and where it broke, looks cast.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Hard to tell for sure, but the narrow wear pattern makes me think it's a flat tappet and where it broke, looks cast.

I don't think the photo is of the cam originally mentioned, but guessing then one in the photo is a cast flat tappet, maybe not the best shot to show lobe profile, but the break looks to me like it's a casting.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I don't think the photo is of the cam originally mentioned, but guessing then one in the photo is a cast flat tappet, maybe not the best shot to show lobe profile, but the break looks to me like it's a casting.

ooops. I was looking at the wrong post.

amh44

Reaction score
it was a roller I will get a picture up

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

it was a roller I will get a picture up

If it was a two piece roller cam, that is billet steel with a cast iron gear to drive the distributor, then it may have sheared the pins that locate the gear on the cam. Years ago it would happen with the two piece cams, haven't heard of it so much with more recent cams.

amh44

Reaction score
don't have a pic anymore and the cam is in my old parts packed up from moving going to make a mail box post out of it but the cam was supposed to be a good cam but crane is knowing to have their problems it ma a perfect clean brake after taking the motor apart and not finding a single piece of metal put it back together with a new custom cam to pair with the high compression runs good now and am very happy with it

boatnam2

Reaction score
Boat i bought had one break while idling its last trip out before i bought it, took a gamble on it after being repaired, has been fine so far this summer(knock on wood) changed oil/filter twice to be sure and check....Figure 14 years under 800hp chalk it up to bad luck.:D