WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Full day tuna trip out of San Diego-Friggin'Awesome!!!!

j-bone

Reaction score
So we had our annual work fishing trip on the Pride out of Seaforth in San Diego. This is a limited load charter. We had 15 guys. Half had never been fishing off shore and some had never caught a fish bigger than a 1-2lb trout. Short story is we landed 20 Yellow Fin Tuna (Ahi). They were all in the 80-100lb range. As those of you that know, this kind of fishing is unheard of for an overnighter out of San Diego.

The long story is, we departed around 9pm on August 21st and loaded up with fresh bait. The bait was lively and well cured but on the small side. We then got our brief from Captain Steve. He told us that he had stumbled across a school of large YFT about a week ago and was having luck finding it every day since. The school was made up of 80-150lb fish. He told us they were line shy, and would not bite anything over 30lb test. He told he would not wake us up in the morning until he found the right school. Many of us were up early, but we did not begin fishing until around 7am. I'm not sure of the exact location, but were could see San Clemente Island about 10-12 miles to the North of us. While he stopped on many deep schools, the fish would not surface with the chum that was tossed out. Then, he makes the announcement for everyone to get rods and be ready. He thought he found the school. Deck hands were tossing sardines out. Captain Steve was announcing the fish were coming up. At this time, only about 6-8 of us were on the deck and ready to go. He says, they're at 150ft, 100ft, 75ft. Toss 'em out boys! We let our live bait go. He says we should be getting bit soon. Sure enough, me and another guy get bit. They run like a bat out of hell. My drag was a little tight and my line snapped within 30 seconds. Grabbed another rod and get hooked up again. Only the two fish on at this point. The others didn't get bit. (Rookies)

After about 30 minutes, the other fish charged the boat and spit the hook. Now I was the only one hooked up and the school had moved on. After two hours of fighting the fish, he went under the boat and the line got hung up on something. At my surprise, the deck hand and captain dove in the water and got the line cleared. While the line scuffed the bottom of the boat, it became nicked up pretty badly. We loosened the drag to prevent the line from breaking. Once the damaged line made it back on the reel we tightened the drag back up. This process repeated about 3-4 times until the fish began doing his death circle near the surface. Two well-placed head gaffs and the deck hands finally had the fish on deck. It was just over 100lbs. I was physically beaten up and ready for a break.

Now it was just after 9 am and we were in search of the school again. It took about an hour, but when we found it, 9 rods bent immediately. I wasn't ready for another fight yet so I hooked up two fish and handed them off right away. After a short break, I decided it was time. Threw a lively sardine in the water and got bit right away. For some reason, I had the touch. Anyways, two hours later I had my second on the boat. It was about 80lbs.

I was done! I felt like I just went 12 rounds in the UFC, then got into a car crash on the way home. I realized I'm getting old.

While the fish were still boiling the surface for the sardines thrown out as chum, they became very line shy and would not bite. Captain Steve began using a balloon rig and hooked up an about 4-5 over the course of a couple hours. Each time, he had someone who hadn't landed a fish yet bring it in.

In the end, everyone landed one fish and a few of us landed two. It was an epic trip. These fish are VERY rare for San Diego waters. These fish are mean and angry. They don't give up easy.

All I can say is the owner/crew on the Pride are among the best I've ever seen. Our crew was made up of Captain Steve, Mike, Jan (Yan), and Jodi working the kitchen and the rail like a champ. They know how to find fish, and with all the newbies on board, they earned their pay in clearing all the fouled lines. We had several occasions where 3 lines were crossed while all three were hooked up. Due to their skill and patience, not a single fish was lost due to crossed lines.

If this is your thing, get out there ASAP. Who knows how long it will last.

Attachments

• Tuna1.jpg
    Tuna1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 22

scottietwohoty

Reaction score
BAD ASS!!! Can't wait I'm going out of seaforth on friday night for an overnight trip. :thumbsup

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The part about the deckhand and Capt diving into the water to clear your line is amazing. I've fished a lot on many sportboats and have never heard of that, particularly including the Capt. That would be worthy of one hell of a tip for the crew at the end of the trip. Congrats on a great trip and catch.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
That sounds like it was an epic trip.
Congrats!

j-bone

Reaction score
The part about the deckhand and Capt diving into the water to clear your line is amazing. I've fished a lot on many sportboats and have never heard of that, particularly including the Capt. That would be worthy of one hell of a tip for the crew at the end of the trip. Congrats on a great trip and catch.

That ended up being the jackpot fish. They got half of the $300. It was definitely a team effort.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
You suck! :D I've run the 181, 182, 43, 138, 277 routine at least 8 times this year and have found plenty of BFT/YFT, but none wanted to play. We're heading out to Pyramid this weekend for a rock cod trip, maybe we'll venture a bit south and see what we find. Congratulations!!

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Going out of San Pedro tomorrow for a 3/4 day trip

JM21

Reaction score
Not SD but we are leaving for Cabo on Friday and me and my buddy JD are going out with RedRum in Cabo on Saturday morning. 31 ft Bertram. I will start another thread when we return home, hopefully with some fish pictures!

500bbc

Reaction score
Looks like they are staring to bite. The BFT will always be BFT, if these Yellowfin bit like Yellowfin.... Woo Hoo!:thumbsup

welldigger00

Reaction score
I went out with H@m on the first strike, two weeks ago, and we got skunked! 12 fish total on a two day. We were 80 miles west of the islands, plenty of fish, no takers. Line shy for sure. Biggest fish was around 20 lbs.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
That's awesome! We don't get the YFT or BFT up here but we do get the Albacore Tuna. My dad goes every year, sometimes it's a day out, most times it's a 3 day trip to get to them. Albacore doesn't get as large apparently, guess they are like 35 - 50 pounds but hit the hook like a torpedo. All I know is they taste frigging fantastic.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Quality fish there!! we might be able to sneak out monday, im itching to get some sashimi!!

arch stanton

Reaction score
Jason i can see that it was worth levying the river early for that trip, but i did hear about the one that got away at work while the A team was out fishing, did you take him with you ?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Short story is we landed 20 Yellow Fin Tuna (Ahi). They were all in the 80-100lb range. As those of you that know, this kind of fishing is unheard of for an overnighter out of San Diego.

This is all I could read ........You lucky bastards!!

j-bone

Reaction score
Jason i can see that it was worth levying the river early for that trip, but i did hear about the one that got away at work while the A team was out fishing, did you take him with you ?

Too funny.

j-bone

Reaction score
You suck! :D I've run the 181, 182, 43, 138, 277 routine at least 8 times this year and have found plenty of BFT/YFT, but none wanted to play. We're heading out to Pyramid this weekend for a rock cod trip, maybe we'll venture a bit south and see what we find. Congratulations!!

Been there done that. Either on my previous center console or on friends boats, we have had many days like that. We usually hit the 425, 371, 43, 182, and 302. I haven't been out at all this year and this trip has been planned for at least 6 months. The crew said it has been a very slow year. I've been fishing the offshore banks from San Diego since 1990. I'd like to think I've paid my dues.:D

I really could have used that Penn International on this trip.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
I really could have used that Penn International on this trip.

Your Penn sets up next to the bow bait tank where there are always a couple of macks ready for a marlin to be spotted. Pic was from the lee side of San Clemente a couple of weeks ago. No marlin here but found a few nice sized yellowtail.

San Clemente South Side.jpg

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Good job Jason.... Can't wait to taste some... :)

P.S. looks like you fish better than you play pool..... :D

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

Out 3 weeks ago on the 181. Blue fin super finicky schooled in a large group. Ended up catching 3, 100+ on DEAD baby mac's and chovs. They did not chase an fly liners. Lazy. Cut and tossed for over an hour to get them to go. Drifted with a heard of maybe 100 all at the surface. No engines, coast in dead quiet.

That's my fishing tuna tip of the day. Won't work tomorrow, you know how that goes. One was fought for 3 1/2 hours. That one maybe 150#.

j-bone

Reaction score
Good job Jason.... Can't wait to taste some... :)

P.S. looks like you fish better than you play pool..... :D

I'll bring some for you. And I remember kicking your butt on day two.:hmm

bluebleeder

Reaction score
Out 3 weeks ago on the 181. Blue fin super finicky schooled in a large group. Ended up catching 3, 100+ on DEAD baby mac's and chovs. They did not chase an fly liners. Lazy. Cut and tossed for over an hour to get them to go. Drifted with a heard of maybe 100 all at the surface. No engines, coast in dead quiet.

That's my fishing tuna tip of the day. Won't work tomorrow, you know how that goes. One was fought for 3 1/2 hours. That one maybe 150#.
Yummy flyer on the kite has been responsible for a few giants recently. Do you fly the Kite? Nice job on the fish. [emoji106]

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mean, angry fish taste the best!!!! So cool. I enjoyed reading the story - thanks for taking the time to post it.

See you guys at the river this weekend?