WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Motorhome tires. 22.5

fishing fool

Reaction score
Looking at a used motorhome and the tires are shot. Dealer said they can get Chinese tires for around $1500. How are they compared to michelin's? Are toyo's any good?

Thanks

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Looking at a used motorhome and the tires are shot. Dealer said they can get Chinese tires for around $1500. How are they compared to michelin's? Are toyo's any good?

Thanks

I've heard toyo's are good, and so are the hankooks. Also significantly cheaper than the michelin's & good years. I will most likely be replacing my good years with hankooks soon.

rush1

Reaction score
Michelin's are very expensive and have had problems with the RV tire sidewall cracking prematurely , Toyo is a great tire and Ive been using Yokohama ry103 for my last set and really like them , there about half the cost of the Michelin:thumbsup

TCHB

Reaction score
I went from Michelin tires to TOYOs and loved them. They were actually smoother and handled better than my Michelin tires that came on my Class A.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Yesterday I just bought some (6) 22.5 Goodyear G622 for my dually after battling for 7 months with 2 different brands and 18 different tires that were all out of round. The new Goodyears ride great.

My previous tires were 22.5 Michelin Pilot drive/steer combo that were flawless.

So, my opinion is to stick with michelin or goodyear since that is what i have the best experience with.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
To me it depends on how much and where you plan to use it. I put a brand new set of Michelin 22.5's on mine 3 years ago and probably use it 1500 miles per year. In all likelihood they will crack long before the tread is halfway used up. Looking back I would go with something less expensive. If your Moho is heavily laden and operating in severe heat you probably want the good ones. I did have a hookup on Michelins through Discount tire, it was $2600 for 6 tires but I had to get a guy to demount the old and mount the new for about $200, all said it was about $2900 including those self balancing bags you put in them. (Discount does not mount HD truck tires)

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Also IMO go to a commercial truck tire center. They work on these big tires all day and only them. They will have the ability to road force balance if you choose not to use balance beads. Personally I had terrible results with beads along with going to a tire shop that services light vehicles.

But, i went to a certain shop based upon a few recommendations, including a big local rv dealer. In hindsight i should of just went to Goodyear Commercial tire 7 months ago lol

It would of saved me tons of aggravation and i wouldn't be sitting here waiting for a $2500 dollar warranty refund check from a certain manufacturer.

fishing fool

Reaction score
The dealer is going to get with his tire guy and get me a few different tires with prices. It is a 38' Fleetwood Discovery. I was just wondering it the Toyo or Handkook are good tires?

81eliminator

Reaction score
I am running Bridgestones, about 20,000 miles so far and they are good. the Michlins were out of stock when I needed tires.
Have Toyos on my F250, they are made in the USA, great tires.
Tires on a motorhome shluld be changed every 5 years i think.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
The dealer is going to get with his tire guy and get me a few different tires with prices. It is a 38' Fleetwood Discovery. I was just wondering it the Toyo or Handkook are good tires?

Heard a lot of good things about the Hankooks I know my cost is 300 a tire that hard to beat when you pay almost double that for Michelin at 490, Heard the Toyo are a little stiff and have some sway issues cause of it.

fishing fool

Reaction score
7036852_9.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My uncle put 19.5's on his 3500 Chevy dually. Put Hancook tires on it. They were HORRIBLY loud and ride fairly rough. They were to the point where they sounded and felt like a super aggressive mud terrain tire. He was really close to ripping them off and putting on a different brand before he decided to just get a new truck instead.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
All u guys running 22.5 rv tires. I will buy your old ones if they are in good shape. Im not picky on age. I run them on a dump trailer that eats tires due to the material i haul. I currently pay $50 per tire from my tire guy who gets them for me. I have a couple that are 11 years old with 85% rubber. Lol. I love using these because I go thru a set of brand new every 6 months.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
All u guys running 22.5 rv tires. I will buy your old ones if they are in good shape. Im not picky on age. I run them on a dump trailer that eats tires due to the material i haul. I currently pay $50 per tire from my tire guy who gets them for me. I have a couple that are 11 years old with 85% rubber. Lol. I love using these because I go thru a set of brand new every 6 months.

Just for reference, how much use can you get out of a tire that has minor cracking but good tread? I realize my description is subject to interpretation, but just wondering if they go longer than we RV owners realize?

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Dad ran Michelins on his Monaco for the first two sets, then they went on a feed wagon because they out dated. This set is Hankook, he just got back from a month on the road, said he thought they rode better than the Michelins. What ever you do, put the biggest sidewall you can fit and clear. You'll get the best ride.
On a side note, Clear Choice are some fairly stand up folks. They refunded my non refundable deposit I put to hold a coach there until I could fly out and see it. Take it over to CW and pay them to do a full inspection including all systems. $300 can save you a bunch of unknown in the end. My $.02:D

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Just for reference, how much use can you get out of a tire that has minor cracking but good tread? I realize my description is subject to interpretation, but just wondering if they go longer than we RV owners realize?
You can get about as much as the casing is worth, or a shit ton of repair costs if one blows out. Don't chance it.
Or find a farmer who'll run them on off hwy equipment.

Enen

Reaction score
Run ANYTHING but Goodyear. They are poorly designed and engineered junk. Toyo makes a great tire.

dribble

Reaction score
Put Chinese made Samson 19.5's on my RV They looked exactly like the Michelins I took off and rode really well. I put about 8000 miles on them before I sold it. I would definitely use them again.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
On my previous class A w/ 19.5's I went with the hankook AH11's after a goodyear blew out, and was pretty happy with the hankooks. On the new RV w/ 22.5's, I plan on replacing the good years with hankook AH12's... read a lot of good reviews about them, and unless someone can get the michelins close to 300 a tire, it is a hard bargain to pass up.

I will prob have some perfect looking good years 22.5's with 14K miles and zero cracking for sale soon (9 years old) :thumbsdown:eek

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Super happy w/my Toyo 22.5's.

It isn't enough to just get tires- you want a set of tires that are fresh- not with 2-3 year old date codes and if you don't bring it up thats exactly what you'll get.

Insist on a date code 12 months or newer.

UD

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
On my previous class A w/ 19.5's I went with the hankook AH11's after a goodyear blew out, and was pretty happy with the hankooks. On the new RV w/ 22.5's, I plan on replacing the good years with hankook AH12's... read a lot of good reviews about them, and unless someone can get the michelins close to 300 a tire, it is a hard bargain to pass up.

I will prob have some perfect looking good years 22.5's with 14K miles and zero cracking for sale soon (9 years old) :thumbsdown:eek
Im a buyer if your selling them. I wont pay more than $50 tho. Thats what i pay my guy.

Your RV's are expensive. Its just like any other tire. They WILL blow out!! I rip thru them so fast im willing to chance it. Plus if I pop one the worst case is I gotta replace a $200 light bar. Pop one on your RV its gonna be big $$ in carnage.

Michellins are awesome but....they will sidewall crack within 6 months. No big deal really, but it freeks people out. Every Michillin I bought brand new didnt last longer than 2 years before blow outs start. IMO. Ill put Hankooks on all day long. Great tire, samsons are great too. Not a fan of toyo's personally. They wear funny.

Mind you, Im talking about everyday use on 80,000lb dump trucks. You guys barely use your RV's in comparison. I will easily put 10,000 miles on a dump truck in a month 👍

lbhsbz

Reaction score
$1500 is too cheap for six tires? That would make me nervous.

That's in line with the per tire cost of the E rated 285/75/16 BFGs I have on my pickup...I would expect to pay more for a commercial tire.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
$1500 is too cheap for six tires? That would make me nervous.

That's way to cheap! A blowout will cost you thousands in repairs. Buy good tires on a RV always!! My 22.5 michelin's have 10,000 miles on them but are pushing 7 years. Is that to many?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The motorhome is in Colton right now

The guys at Colton truck terminal can sell you a set of fresh toyos at a good deal and send over a team to change em out right there.

Ed and Rich Doltar have been there like 25 years. If you look up colton trucking their reputation is absolutely stellar. The " new guys" there are in like 15 years.

They service Big rigs and class A's.

Super trustworthy shop and where I go.

http://rvservicereviews.com

This is a good resource for service.

UD

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Put Chinese made Samson 19.5's on my RV They looked exactly like the Michelins I took off and rode really well. I put about 8000 miles on them before I sold it. I would definitely use them again.

That's what I put on my super c as well. Got all 6 for like 1400$ mounted balanced with hazard warranties. About 10k on them now, no issues.

fishing fool

Reaction score
The guys at Colton truck terminal can sell you a set of fresh toyos at a good deal and send over a team to change em out right there.

Ed and Rich Doltar have been there like 25 years. If you look up colton trucking their reputation is absolutely stellar. The " new guys" there are in like 15 years.

They service Big rigs and class A's.

Super trustworthy shop and where I go.

http://rvservicereviews.com

This is a good resource for service.

UD

The motorhome is right next door to them. If they don't ask them I will.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
The motorhome is right next door to them. If they don't ask them I will.

Colton truck buys the tires from Pete's that's who i have a corporate account through shoot me the size I will get ya us a price if ya want

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
Colton truck buys the tires from Pete's that's who i have a corporate account through shoot me the size I will get ya us a price if ya want

I called Pete's and Lou's tire when I was shopping for my toyo's for my motorhome so someone told me to call Goodyear by my house in Orangecrest riverside so I did and the guy gave me a better price than the other 2 places $1900.00 OTD 22.5 Toyo's so I gave Buds tire a call in Orangecrest and asked them if they could beat Goodyear and they did. I payed $1800 and some change. That was the best price I could find and it was 2 miles from my house

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
I called Pete's and Lou's tire when I was shopping for my toyo's for my motorhome so someone told me to call Goodyear by my house in Orangecrest riverside so I did and the guy gave me a better price than the other 2 places $1900.00 OTD 22.5 Toyo's so I gave Buds tire a call in Orangecrest and asked them if they could beat Goodyear and they did. I payed $1800 and some change. That was the best price I could find and it was 2 miles from my house

It always help to shop tires sounds like you got a good deal. With Petes we spend a lot of money a month so the prices he gives me cant be beat

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Super happy w/my Toyo 22.5's.

It isn't enough to just get tires- you want a set of tires that are fresh- not with 2-3 year old date codes and if you don't bring it up thats exactly what you'll get.

Insist on a date code 12 months or newer.

UD

You said a mouthful there..my coach has 2007 date code and the tires were put on it in 2012. They are perfect shape..but now I'm starting to worry..and I don't like that feeling.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
You said a mouthful there..my coach has 2007 date code and the tires were put on it in 2012. They are perfect shape..but now I'm starting to worry..and I don't like that feeling.

Isn't there some sort of law on how far the date code can be when sold to the consumer? That really sucks that they were able to sell you 5 year old tires!

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Isn't there some sort of law on how far the date code can be when sold to the consumer? That really sucks that they were able to sell you 5 year old tires!

they weren't sold to me..previous owner...I've had them inspected and was told to run em...but dang, going to the river from Boise is a tug and usually in hot weather..so that's the dilemma for me..

EmpirE231

Reaction score
they weren't sold to me..previous owner...I've had them inspected and was told to run em...but dang, going to the river from Boise is a tug and usually in hot weather..so that's the dilemma for me..

My goodyears are date code 2007 and look perfect w/14k miles, and I'm only replacing due to that damn date code.:thumbsdown

EmpirE231

Reaction score

that is a pretty good deal... I got my hankook truck tires from buds, I bet they should have access to the hankook moho tires as well. I will have to give them a call.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
that is a pretty good deal... I got my hankook truck tires from buds, I bet they should have access to the hankook moho tires as well. I will have to give them a call.

I was surprised when Goodyear was around $400 cheaper than Pete's and Lou's so I call d Buds and told them what Goodyear offered me and they beat them.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

If they were stored inside they should be good (not great), if they were really inspected they were dismount and checked one the inside- were they?

If your sidewalls have anything other than light checking you could have them removed and inspected, but at this age spending money on anything other than a replacement would kind of be a waste. If alls well on the outside you could push to 10 years (2017 to you) but its roulette.

I personally chicken out around 7-8.

Purrfectremor - not really. guys been getting hustled on all ends of this deal.

Often some new RV owner that just bought a used unit that just needs rubber comes into a shop wanting a deal and get the shock of his life when he sees the bill. Then he asks if the guy can find anything cheaper and then skeeter at the shop after some phone calling and emailing say " I found a set of zero mile superhoops in a warehouse for "X off". " They don't volunteer the date code and the guy that buys doesn't ask and thinks he's smarter than all his buddies until someone decodes the date panel for him 5-6 years later.

Its also a stunt played by the guy selling the RV. During negotiation when the rubber question comes up he throws down a receipt thats only a year old for tires and tell the buyer - fresh rubber!

It's absolutely correct that Colton buys from Petes.
Colton beat Petes deal for me, because Im a nobody at Petes, but a client at colton.
Whats amazing to me is the guys come change all those tires out by hand unmount and remount without any kind of machine.

OP - how you going to balance?

UD

TCHB

Reaction score
My goodyears are date code 2007 and look perfect w/14k miles, and I'm only replacing due to that damn date code.:thumbsdown

That is a good idea! Too old for me.