WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Louisiana Grill

LakeRacer

Reaction score
I haven't heard too much about these pellet smoker/grills. But I found one on an auction site and was high bidder for a brand new in the box CS450 model.
List is around $899 (cheaper on Amazon etc.) but I got it for $330 out the door.

After having used a Bradley smoker for the last 3 years this is my first pellet version. My first try at it this afternoon was some smoked salmon.
Couldn't get much smoke flavor but I think that is a function of the fillets not being very big and also the final temp not being very high. But they were some of the juiciest fillets I've ever had.

The control box couldn't be easier. I think I'm going to like this grill.

Next are some pork ribs. And then a brisket.

LakeRacer

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I put on a couple of slabs of ribs. 3 hours smoke, 1 hour wrapped in foil. Came out pretty good. Seemed to be more moist than my past efforts with the Bradley.

After the ribs I started a 15lb brisket. One thing I noticed is that this smoker/grill keeps a very constant temperature compared to what I had before. And it also cooks faster. I'm going to have to check the temp readings. That 15lbs would have taken about 10hrs in the Bradley if not more. The Louisiana did it in about 6.5hrs. I set the grill temp at 250 and the meat temp at 190.

I'll also be putting a water bowl in the smoker. And thinking about a tube smoker for a little more smoke on occasion.

Practice makes perfect.

LakeRacer

Reaction score
I know there are going to be times when I want more smoke flavor.

Any suggestions?

Is the smoke tube worth it?

Thanks in advance.

LakeRacer

Reaction score
:worthless_1_:

0901160151.jpg 0830161357.jpg

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
What kind of pellets are you using? Quality pellets make a big difference, I personally only use Lumber Jack pellets.

With the Traeger there is a button that controls what Traeger calls the P setting. The P setting controls how often the hopper is feeding pellets into the heating pot, once the setting is dialed in the smoke seems to be perfect and the temperature fluctuations will be very minor, I'd assume the Louisiana grill will be the same way.

With a pellet grill the only thing adding water will do is make the cook take longer and possibly prevent a good bark from building up on whatever you're smoking so I would not recommend adding a water pan.

As far as the smoke tube goes I really don't know as I've never had to use one.

LakeRacer

Reaction score
My grill doesn't have a "P" setting. I can set grill temp and meat temp.
It does have a prime button that will add extra pellets if you plan on opening the grill to keep the heat up.

I've used a water bowl in my Bradley and I still got a nice bark. I'll try it in the LG and see what happens.

Since my last post I did a pork butt. On the grill for 10 hrs and still not as much smoke flavor as I prefer.
I'll try a few more times to get my grilled a little more seasoned. If the smoke flavor doesn't improve time to
buy a Amaz-n pellet smoker or a smoke tube.

Thanks for the suggestions.

River Runnin

Reaction score
The Grill!
LouiGrill%2001_zps2c027ky5.jpg

The shoulder roast...Shot up with apple juice, and rub'd down...

LouiGrill%2002_zps7vnw6p6p.jpg

The start!... I Set the probe for 165* And cold grill @ 220* and let it go for approximitly 7 hours. I was pretty impressed with the smoke!...How it was engulfing the grill area! (170* is the lowest setting and best used for hard, and pre smoking foods.)

LouiGrill%2003_zpsy6pvh0ko.jpg

LouiGrill%2009_zpsgri3pg3b.jpg

Taken off @ 165*.... I had a good smoke and perfect temp! :smackhead...Just not for this chunk of meat! LoL ....After a good rest and fridge overnight!

LouiGrill%2004_zpsgjladjic.jpg

We're out @ 44*....And in for other 8hr @ 220*....I set at 225* for near 5 hours...Then turned down.

Sweet taters & corn....Temp still 220*...Probe 189* ....Target Temp = 195* to 205*

LouiGrill%2005_zpsdls18szo.jpg

Pulled @ 198* and resting for 30+ minutes.

LouiGrill%2006_zpsk5ccgcot.jpg

Pull'n My Pork!...

LouiGrill%2008_zpscpfqny2l.jpg

Smoke ring had to be close to an inch! :) ....And absolutly fell apart when I picked it up!...Separated out the fat--Pulled a lot of it--and forked a 1/3 or so!

Pecan, Gourmet, and alder pellets in what I had.

This was the first Long cook I've done with the grill... I have a Traeger sitting right next to this unit....And had many a good meal on it and the neighbors!

How well it smokes fish is the next big test! :thumbup: :D

River Runnin

Reaction score
The Hopper extension is really a must! as is the shelf!.. With the performance I've had with it so far!...I'll probably get the cold-smoke box also!

Now I'd like to find, build, or have built!...A SS 1/2" mesh 2, 3 tier stack rack. :)

LouiGrill%2010_zps0dd3dluq.jpg

Alex222

Reaction score
I suggest grilled beef tenderloins. My tips are herbes de provence: rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and oregano, etc. I mix them with garlic and olive oil and apply all over the steaks. The smoke from the herbs permeates into the steaks and makes them fantastic! I knew this in French Riviera where my parents used to spend holidays. The herbs were sold on local markets and my mom always added them when cooking meat. The landscape and the local food are gorgeous there by the way (if you don?t know what it looks like, see for example here https://tranio.com/france/cote_d_azur/ ).
Try and say what the tenderloins taste like.