WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who wants to be a gelcoater?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
LISTEN UP YOU MAGGOTS.
I'M LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO PACKS THE EQUIPMENT TO BE A GELCOATER.:drillsergeant:

Applicants must have transportation and flexible hours.
People with back issues need not apply.
Whining bitches need not apply.

***Disclaimer...Whining bitches comes in both genders.This position is offered to either gender that packs the mental and physical capability to do this job....as long as there's no whining or bitching.***

Need a basic understanding of geometry,trajectory,ability to read a tape measure (you just wouldn't believe) and probably the most important...The ability to follow direction.

Pluses for the job would include being part weatherman,part chemist,part mind reader,part premadona,part salesman,part janitor,part magician,part robot and alot patient.

Spanish speaker a plus but not required.
You'll learn some on the job if you don't already.

There is no air conditioning

There is no heater

You will itch by lunch time, you'll be worse after work.

You'll have to get used to the fact your lunch time may be midnight,or it might be 10am depending on several factors.
As mentioned,a flexible schedule is required.

Your back will hurt

Your hands will hurt

Your shoulders will hurt

Your feet will hurt

Your head will probably hurt from being upside down most of the day.

Oh,by the way you're going to spend a lot of time upside down.

Your head may hurt at the end of the day from the various chemicals and or dust that may be in the air.

Your head may hurt at the end of the day if you can't follow direction.
J/K :cool

No,you WILL NOT be spraying boats in a few weeks or a few months.Your main beginning goal is taping/prep and occasionally helping in the booth pulling the tape you put on.

PM for further details or contact info.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I am running the gfrg crew which is fiberglass reinforced gypsum. I'm sure it's just as itchy [emoji4] really is a cool opportunity for someone though Image1473375324.820279.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
I love the job description, you make it seem so inviting. It reminds me of how I describe my job when people want to work for my company.

I would love to do something like this, but I don't have the time nor could I take the hit either ( can't follow directions :D)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I love the job description, you make it seem so inviting.
nor could I take the hit either ( can't follow directions :D)
Well. It's work.;)

Can't follow directions...noted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Some questions are being asked so I will add some info here.

Location? All over.Im working with several mfg's and open to work with just about any of the so cal crowd.
My typical haunts of late are in Mira Loma, just east of 15/60

Irwindale,210just east of the 605

and Corona,Maple/91 on occasion.

Pay rate?... Will be piss poor until I see something. A guy taping for me who can be handed a picture and tape the mold to look like that picture and pull the way I want it to pull was making $37.50 per hour in 2007-2008 and for many years before.
If there was enough work to keep a proficient taper like him busy today 40-42 wouldn't be out of line.

Now,typically I don't do that.Just hand the taper a pic and let them go.I usually will lay out a side,go over how I want things to pull as far as first pull,second pull,etc.Then let them make the port side look like the side I layed out and finish the job.

Days a week?...remember I said flexable.;)
Some days I know what's in front of me for weeks to come.Other times when I finish this job on Wednesday I have nothing to do till someone calls.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
"AH, to be young and have a choice" ............

How about doing a 'school', that you charge for, and then you may find someone from the classes, that could actually do the job .

I would pay for a '10 hour class' or a 'two day class' on prep, design, layout, taping, layering, finish .

I think $250/300 per person would be a cheap way to learn if the student has what it takes, and if he really loves to do it .

Advanced classes would teach; air brush, fades, shadows, candies, etc ........

Sign me up .

Backlash

Reaction score
GC this is SOOOO tempting but like others, my financial responsibilities would suffer. Damn. It would be an honor to work with you and learn from a master like yourself. If someone is willing to take this opportunity, they will have a solid career in this industry in the future. As you know, there aren't a lot of men behind the gun with true talent like yours. ;)

Man I would love to do this but just can't make it happen.

:grumble:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
so its different form what I do now?

you at least get to work inside most of the time.

Next week I break ground on a house. want to trade?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
so its different form what I do now?

you at least get to work inside most of the time.

Next week I break ground on a house. want to trade?
Nope.
My dad did all manner of construction when I was a kid.Homes,tilt ups,refurb work,etc.I spent many a summer vacation on some job site somewhere as a kid.
I don't envy that work in the least.That shit is like real work.

MCnParker

Reaction score
I too wish I was not trapped in the real world of financial responsibility, this would have been an awesome opportunity 20+ years ago.. I think most of us would jump at the opportunity to see the process in person, I can even begin to get my head around the amount of hours is takes to tape up a mold.

Jimmy

Reaction score
I'd do a few days on my weeks off when I'm not on shift.
I love working on my boat.
Wouldn't be a career be more of a hobby.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'd do a few days on my weeks off when I'm not on shift.
I love working on my boat.
Wouldn't be a career be more of a hobby.

That's going to be one hell of a commute, Jimmy.:eek

What is that? 4-5 thousand miles?
One way?

Jimmy

Reaction score
That's going to be one hell of a commute, Jimmy.:eek

What is that? 4-5 thousand miles?
One way?
Google says 8 thousand mile. $850 Fiji airways.

What we'll do is, we'll wait till the libs get in and open up the boarders to the immigrant workers and u pay me cash haha.
That way we won't need to pay tax and my missus won't find out about the extra money lol

shueman

Reaction score
Next Elim Open House you can do a "demo" for everyone ... :p