WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How to do it wrong.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Carnage from Wednesday, ran out of time to post the mess.

This is a 6 flute endmill, 4in Length of cut, 7-1/2 long.

This is what happens when you run 6 flute roughers in alum when there are few other alternatives available.

Deep pocket, probably loaded up a bit and I was at a friends shop sawing some tubing. Timing was probably bad, in hindsight, I should have waited to leave until the roughing was done.

Moved both vises, scrapped both parts in the process. Made a mess of everything.

It happens.

I got a new idea I have been wanting to try anyway. Stay tuned.

Brian

attachment.php

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I couldn't get the alum out of the gullets it is so mucked up. I'll have to put it in a lathe or the rotary table and clean it up to see what is left to salvage.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

I run lights out many times. :)

I've ran a 100 parts on this setup and it loads once in awhile. This time, no one here to stop it.

I am changing the tooling to drill it instead, something I have wanted to do for awhile, the tooling was around $1000 to change it. If it wasn't broke, why fix it? Let's hope it works. :yikes. Setting it up right now. Should cut the cycle in half though.

Brian

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Carnage from Wednesday, ran out of time to post the mess.

This is a 6 flute endmill, 4in Length of cut, 7-1/2 long.

This is what happens when you run 6 flute roughers in alum when there are few other alternatives available.

Deep pocket, probably loaded up a bit and I was at a friends shop sawing some tubing. Timing was probably bad, in hindsight, I should have waited to leave until the roughing was done.

Moved both vises, scrapped both parts in the process. Made a mess of everything.

It happens.

I got a new idea I have been wanting to try anyway. Stay tuned.

Brian

attachment.php

Not a metallurgy expert by any means... but I'm assuming that bit is much stronger than the aluminium. I'd imagine the bit its self isn't destroyed, so what did it eat up during the process?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Not a metallurgy expert by any means... but I'm assuming that bit is much stronger than the aluminium. I'd imagine the bit its self isn't destroyed, so what did it eat up during the process?

You are correct.

Scrapped both parts, moved both vises.

It was just pushing the alum around and melting it with the friction.

Tool is still good, I had to knock the alum out of the gullets and have it resharpened.

I am straightening both the vises back out. Resetting the part home position swap in the drill into the program and see what happens.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
There you go, looks much more suited for the job (Aluminum) than that roughing end mill.

Yes sir.

Hard to spend big money on a prototype job that you may never see again. I should have done it a year ago, but it is rough signing that check sometimes when you can milk it along. :)

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Worked flawless. Should have done it a long time ago. See where the cycle time ends up when I get it dialed in.

Brian

Icky

Reaction score
As they say, it takes money to make money.:)

Come by sometime and check the shop out.
I'd probably go broke, I have to many ideas and projects tucked away in my laptop that I could have made there

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'd probably go broke, I have to many ideas and projects tucked away in my laptop that I could have made there

As you wish. :)

Never know how much until you ask.

The boss can be a charitable guy. :)

Kbach

Reaction score
Just curious, are you running any of your processes dry? I always thought it was commonplace to flood but was talking to a machinist buddy a while ago and he mentioned it is becoming increasingly common to run dry with higher spindle speeds and feed rates. Just curious as I don't have a dog in this fight.

Racing97

Reaction score
Running dry is usually with ceramics extremely high speed and fairly hard materials, Aluminum has its own characteristics and loves to remain as cool as possible in the case above if the cutter is good I would be tempted to check the coolant ratios as one possible cause.

regards

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Just curious, are you running any of your processes dry? I always thought it was commonplace to flood but was talking to a machinist buddy a while ago and he mentioned it is becoming increasingly common to run dry with higher spindle speeds and feed rates. Just curious as I don't have a dog in this fight.

Most inserted cutters of any type run dry while cutting steel. Alum will melt and gall without flood coolant from the heat generated from cutting

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
attachment.php

Doing battle. Can't run it as hard as it wants to go, but she makes a pretty big hole, pretty quick.