WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tahoe GURU boating related question

PaPaG

Reaction score
So tell me who is the boating Lake Tahoe resident Guru? is it Grads? what kind of boat would you suggest for Tahoe? I was thinking something in the neighborhood of 24-28ft deep cabin cruiser? or maybe just a weekday boat 24'er ? not sure.....

I have been going to Tahoe all my life and love the lake, I know the chop gets so huge it can sink almost any type of boat out there but we would avoid the windy days so for us we would be using it during very mild days or early or late day use when the water is typically calmer. Crazy we wanted to go on the lake for a few hours a few weeks ago and checked out some rentals and they were 1300-1800.00 a day (8hrs) for a 19-22'er...stupid money....may be worth buying something and keeping it there if we get to use it more often. Some thoughts?

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I am by no means a GURU of boating in Tahoe but we just bought our first boat and it is intended for Tahoe. It is a 30ft deep V style speed boat. I have spent most of my life going to Tahoe but not much time boating on it. You definitely see all kinds of boats, especially lots of tow boats now so not everyone is going with bigger boats. I guess it just depends on what kind of boating you like and if you want to stay closer to the shore or not. I personally went with the size and style of boat I have for the conditions that you have described as I have seen some very big waves on the lake. We live down the hill in Reno and you can get some pretty good deals on used boats as well as pretty cheap storage for just a 30 minute drive.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I am by no means a GURU of boating in Tahoe but we just bought our first boat and it is intended for Tahoe. It is a 30ft deep V style speed boat. I have spent most of my life going to Tahoe but not much time boating on it. You definitely see all kinds of boats, especially lots of tow boats now so not everyone is going with bigger boats. I guess it just depends on what kind of boating you like and if you want to stay closer to the shore or not. I personally went with the size and style of boat I have for the conditions that you have described as I have seen some very big waves on the lake. We live down the hill in Reno and you can get some pretty good deals on used boats as well as pretty cheap storage for just a 30 minute drive.

What launch are you going to be using? Have you ever considered a slip for the summer? PROS: Saves so much time and headache, ease of use, easy for one or two hour outings..etc.. CONS: VERY High monthly slip fees, High Fuel Costs and worst of all the end of season detail and cleaning costs. Lots to think about that is for sure.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
We have some feelers out with some of our friends who still live in Tahoe and hoping to get a buoy for the summer. You can price out some of the marina summer rentals but they are not cheap. As far as launching probably northshore has a few spots and I heard you have to be there very very early. You can always launch on the Nevada side too. One other cost is having your boat inspected for mussels and the associated stickers or whatever they charge you for if you take it in and out or have to have it cleaned. Still reading up on all these details.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't know anything except it is a lot of fun to boat on Tahoe...and it gets rough. I have been on Tahoe in a 17' Tahiti outboard, and many times in a Tournament Ski boat. In those boats, I always stayed close to where I launched so we could get back quickly if the weather or water conditions changed.

On the mussel inspection, once you come off the water, they will put a plastic strap between the bow eye and the trailer. Because you have to cut the strap off to launch the boat, as long as the strap isn't removed, I don't think you have to have the mussel inspection again. Grads could answer this better.

I stay in Reno a lot. We should meet up for a beer.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
On the mussel inspection, once you come off the water, they will put a plastic strap between the bow eye and the trailer. Because you have to cut the strap off to launch the boat, as long as the strap isn't removed, I don't think you have to have the mussel inspection again. Grads could answer this better.

That is good to know on the inspection, I just got the boat registered and they gave me a booklet and a bunch of info to read on the Tahoe mussel stuff.

Anytime just shoot me an IM or something.

thetub

Reaction score
PaPa it kinda depends on what kind of boating?

We used a 19 ft Ski Natique for 20 years, but mainly for skiing and occasional cruises around the lake. But as stated would usually stay closer to shore just in case.

But if used just for cruising around a 24 Hallett,Howard, or similar style boat would be perfect in my opinion.

Up there its either glass like conditions or rough as crap and nobody will be out...

Buddy has a 27 Hallett and sometimes has problems launching cause of size. That was in Incline Village on the North Shore... And he was saying to get a buoy was pretty expensive...

So keep that in mind some places wont let you launch cause lake level got so low...

For storage look down in Reno or possibly Carson City its alot cheaper...

PaPaG

Reaction score
I think you needed a Rinker Flotiala

:) if I could find one I would buy one for Mead. I did not want to go after the Orange one that we both really like did not want your wife to get mad at me :) Our 24 Rinker handled 3' foot chop in lake mead and 2+ at havi on bad days like it was nothing...with absolutely no water coming in from the bow. We used to average 25/30mph through the rough stuff with top speed of ONLY 40 and the weight of the boat helped handle most of the rough water. Those Rinkers are very heavy sturdy builds that is for sure. We had a 350, I want a big block with that heavy boat through to push it up towards the 45-50mph area.....I know on on calm to mild days the Rinker would do great in Tahoe just worried about touring north Tahoe and then water gets rough and having to go all the way back to south. Maybe a 24/27 Hallett, I have always had great luck with Halletts.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I don't know anything except it is a lot of fun to boat on Tahoe...and it gets rough. I have been on Tahoe in a 17' Tahiti outboard, and many times in a Tournament Ski boat. In those boats, I always stayed close to where I launched so we could get back quickly if the weather or water conditions changed.

No Joke, that water can turn fairly quick. I spoke to a few old timers out there and they advised to watch the weather pattern and then hit it real early in the am if you want to do a full lake tour, other than that they said stay within 20-30 minutes of launch if unsure and boat the shoreline to be safer on questionable days. Biggest tip he gave me was NEVER TAKE A NAP in the boat unless you know exactly what you are doing because you could end up visiting the old mobsters at the bottom if the wind kicks up...:)

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
How about something like this? You'll laugh and push the sticks forward when the wind kicks up 3 footers! :D:thumbsup

32' Envision with twin 7.5 Mag motors, 325 hours, super clean with new Eddie Marine tabs, full Latham hydro steering, drives have been freshened up, five balde props, new leather interior in cabin, flat screen, dual stereos, head, sink, etc, refurbished triple axle trailer. Thinking about selling around mid $40K range. Could work a deal on storage for you too in Gardnerville, NV just down Kingsbury Grade from Tahoe.:thumbsup

Oh, and I'd take your Jeep as a trade in too!:p:thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 114-1459_IMG.JPG
    114-1459_IMG.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 114-1458_IMG.JPG
    114-1458_IMG.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 11

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I could probably talk about this for hours but I will try and keep it short. It sounds like you know the lake fairly well already. Mornings, early afternoon and evenings are good, late afternoon is bad. I've been on the lake many times in a 18' Sea Ray and had no problem....I've also been in a 26' boat where I thought we weren't going to make it....just keep an eye on the changing conditions. You can take any boat to Tahoe but the smaller the boat the more limited your options are. I personally wouldn't want anything smaller than 25' or so if I was boating Tahoe every weekend. I've had many boats on Tahoe but my favorite boat was my 29' Shockwave....that thing ate up Tahoe. There's two of them for sale in the classified section.

Remember most boats depending on the horsepower are 10-20 m.p.h. slower on Tahoe than they are at sea level. The reason I mention this is because Tahoe is BIG and it can seem like an eternity driving from South Shore to North Shore if your boat tops out at 35-40 m.p.h.

GRADS

Reaction score

Yes this is true. Tahoe used to be a day trip for us but the mussel inspection killed that. Mussel inspection meant we couldn't boat anywhere else between Tahoe trips or we had to pay and go through the inspection process.

PaPaG

Reaction score
How about something like this? You'll laugh and push the sticks forward when the wind kicks up 3 footers! :D:thumbsup

32' Envision with twin 7.5 Mag motors, 325 hours, super clean with new Eddie Marine tabs, full Latham hydro steering, drives have been freshened up, five balde props, new leather interior in cabin, flat screen, dual stereos, head, sink, etc, refurbished triple axle trailer. Thinking about selling around mid $40K range. Could work a deal on storage for you too in Gardnerville, NV just down Kingsbury Grade from Tahoe.:thumbsup

Oh, and I'd take your Jeep as a trade in too!:p:thumbsup

Yea I bet that thing performs great up there, something like that is tempting especially since our place is at the top of Kingsbury Grade, would make it an easier trip that is for sure.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I could probably talk about this for hours but I will try and keep it short. It sounds like you know the lake fairly well already. Mornings, early afternoon and evenings are good, late afternoon is bad. I've been on the lake many times in a 18' Sea Ray and had no problem....I've also been in a 26' boat where I thought we weren't going to make it....just keep an eye on the changing conditions. You can take any boat to Tahoe but the smaller the boat the more limited your options are. I personally wouldn't want anything smaller than 25' or so if I was boating Tahoe every weekend. I've had many boats on Tahoe but my favorite boat was my 29' Shockwave....that thing ate up Tahoe. There's two of them for sale in the classified section.

Remember most boats depending on the horsepower are 10-20 m.p.h. slower on Tahoe than they are at sea level. The reason I mention this is because Tahoe is BIG and it can seem like an eternity driving from South Shore to North Shore if your boat tops out at 35-40 m.p.h.

Agreed, long time a go we took a day trip around the lake..felt like a chore vs fun after a few hours because the weather was great when we left the marina but became questionable after a few hours and the water was getting choppy, luckily the owner of the boat was an avid Tahoe local and he read the weather accurately and got us back safe and sound. South to North and back is a long day trip in my opinion (as long as the weather permits) would be fun to be able to cruise it to Emerald Bay especially when we have guests..thanks for the advice.

GRADS

Reaction score
Just another note about how well the Shockwave Magnatude handles Tahoe. I spoke earlier about how we almost sank a 26' boat on the lake...That day we were running with a 29'Shockwave. Conditions were as ugly as I've ever seen them. Go slow and we'd take waves over the bow, go fast and we literally got the wind knocked out of us from hitting so hard. My 26' boat was breaking apart right in front of us while the Shockwave seemed to be doing ok. At that point I knew if I ever bought another V-hull it would be a Shockwave Magnatude.

Well fast forward 7 years after that I bought one. I loved running that thing in Tahoe. I actually went looking for rough stuff to try and make it a little more fun. It was such a killer ride! I'm sure RogerThat will back me up on this as he rode in it a few times.

I would seriously consider these. And just know that if you buy one I will be very jealous.:grumble:

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?155905-2005-29-Shockwave-Magnatude-closed-bow

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?149497-2000-Shockwave-29ft-Magnatude

renodaytona

Reaction score
The lakes up here Tahoe, Pyramid have vet changing conditions. Just because it is nice in the am doesn't mean that the Washoe Zephyrs won't kick up in the afternoon. Last weekend we went to Pyramid fully expecting it to be blown out in the afternoon Friday and Saturday and we had absolutely no wind, same thing happens up at Tahoe. I agree with Grads 25' would be the min unless it's a deeper smaller V.

Rogerthat and Tahoe540 count me in for that drink. :thumbsup:D

GRADS

Reaction score
The lakes up here Tahoe, Pyramid have vet changing conditions. Just because it is nice in the am doesn't mean that the Washoe Zephyrs won't kick up in the afternoon. Last weekend we went to Pyramid fully expecting it to be blown out in the afternoon Friday and Saturday and we had absolutely no wind, same thing happens up at Tahoe. I agree with Grads 25' would be the min unless it's a deeper smaller V.

Rogerthat and Tahoe540 count me in for that drink. :thumbsup:D

Hey I want that drink too!:thumbsup

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Agreed, long time a go we took a day trip around the lake..felt like a chore vs fun after a few hours because the weather was great when we left the marina but became questionable after a few hours and the water was getting choppy, luckily the owner of the boat was an avid Tahoe local and he read the weather accurately and got us back safe and sound. South to North and back is a long day trip in my opinion (as long as the weather permits) would be fun to be able to cruise it to Emerald Bay especially when we have guests..thanks for the advice.

The type of boat you are in will make all the difference in the world as to whether it's a pleasurable run or a nightmare.

As a long time ocean boater running fast in big water (see my signature photo), I can tell you a 24 degree deadrise at transom boat and a heavy layup will cut though big waves like butter. The boat also has to be balance correctly to allow you to fly the boat straight and true with stuffing it (Knowing how to drive helps too).

The best wave crusher I ever had was my old 1973 Cigarette 28. That thing felt like it was made out of concrete! It may not have been the fasted boat out there but it would smash through 3' to 4' waves like they were ripples.

When I lived in Vegas many years ago everyone told me how Mead would get 10 footers when the wind kicked up:yikes:D. I just laughed because those were guys in low deadrise potato chip boats with 1' of freeboard so a 3' waved looked like 10' to them. After a couple years, there was finally a good wind blowing when I was out in my 29' Baja Outlaw. Maybe 3 to 4 with an occasional 5, confused Maytag water. All the fast flat hulled boats were getting slammed trying to get back to the ramp, barely off idle and slapping and crashing on each wave. For me it was Go Time,push the sticks forward and have fun! A little bumpy but very comfortable and had a blast. The most fun I've ever had on Mead.

Most west coast customs are designed for lakes and flat water. Flat hull / light layup = faster boat when the water is small. If you want a boat to go in big water look at what runs out in the ocean. Cigarette, Apache, Outerlimits, Scarab, Formula, Pantera, Active Thunder, Baja, etc.

I've never run one but Tahoe is sometimes called "Lake Cobalt" because there are so many of them on there. I know they are a high quality boat that is well built. I don't know what the deadrise is on them.

I don't know anything about Shockwaves but I think Greg / SteamingRice on here has one and runs in the ocean with it.

Tahoe is an incredible lake and you can have fun in any boat on it. If you want to have a worry free day and not care about how far out you go or how long you are out there then you need something more suited for big water. :thumbsup

GRADS

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Shockwaves but I think Greg / SteamingRice on here has one and runs in the ocean with it.

It was actually Steamin' Rice's boat that I was running with that made me want a Shockwave. My buddy ran that boat 50' up on shore one night on Tahoe. :lmao Other than a couple little scratches the boat had no damage.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
It was actually Steamin' Rice's boat that I was running with that made me want a Shockwave. My buddy ran that boat 50' up on shore one night on Tahoe. :lmao Other than a couple little scratches the boat had no damage.

50 feet? Yikes! Missed the launch ramp? :yikes:D

GRADS

Reaction score
50 feet? Yikes! Missed the launch ramp? :yikes:D

No he was cruising along at about 55 m.p.h. at night and all of a sudden the boat slowed down and listed to one side. They realized they were up on the beach and called a cab home. Paid a guy with a crane $1000 the next day to lift it off the beach.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Just another note about how well the Shockwave Magnatude handles Tahoe. I spoke earlier about how we almost sank a 26' boat on the lake...That day we were running with a 29'Shockwave. Conditions were as ugly as I've ever seen them. Go slow and we'd take waves over the bow, go fast and we literally got the wind knocked out of us from hitting so hard. My 26' boat was breaking apart right in front of us while the Shockwave seemed to be doing ok. At that point I knew if I ever bought another V-hull it would be a Shockwave Magnatude.

Well fast forward 7 years after that I bought one. I loved running that thing in Tahoe. I actually went looking for rough stuff to try and make it a little more fun. It was such a killer ride! I'm sure RogerThat will back me up on this as he rode in it a few times.

I would seriously consider these. And just know that if you buy one I will be very jealous.:grumble:

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?155905-2005-29-Shockwave-Magnatude-closed-bow

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?149497-2000-Shockwave-29ft-Magnatude

I like them both, really like the red one but I would want no less than a 575sci or 600sci blue, I think I am done with carbs for the next boat.

PaPaG

Reaction score
The type of boat you are in will make all the difference in the world as to whether it's a pleasurable run or a nightmare.

As a long time ocean boater running fast in big water (see my signature photo), I can tell you a 24 degree deadrise at transom boat and a heavy layup will cut though big waves like butter. The boat also has to be balance correctly to allow you to fly the boat straight and true with stuffing it (Knowing how to drive helps too).

The best wave crusher I ever had was my old 1973 Cigarette 28. That thing felt like it was made out of concrete! It may not have been the fasted boat out there but it would smash through 3' to 4' waves like they were ripples.

When I lived in Vegas many years ago everyone told me how Mead would get 10 footers when the wind kicked up:yikes:D. I just laughed because those were guys in low deadrise potato chip boats with 1' of freeboard so a 3' waved looked like 10' to them. After a couple years, there was finally a good wind blowing when I was out in my 29' Baja Outlaw. Maybe 3 to 4 with an occasional 5, confused Maytag water. All the fast flat hulled boats were getting slammed trying to get back to the ramp, barely off idle and slapping and crashing on each wave. For me it was Go Time,push the sticks forward and have fun! A little bumpy but very comfortable and had a blast. The most fun I've ever had on Mead.

Most west coast customs are designed for lakes and flat water. Flat hull / light layup = faster boat when the water is small. If you want a boat to go in big water look at what runs out in the ocean. Cigarette, Apache, Outerlimits, Scarab, Formula, Pantera, Active Thunder, Baja, etc.

I've never run one but Tahoe is sometimes called "Lake Cobalt" because there are so many of them on there. I know they are a high quality boat that is well built. I don't know what the deadrise is on them.

Tahoe is an incredible lake and you can have fun in any boat on it. If you want to have a worry free day and not care about how far out you go or how long you are out there then you need something more suited for big water. :thumbsup

I have been in a Cigarette, Formula, Baja and all three were really impressive in big water, the Cig and Formula really impressed me that is for sure, and I have always liked Baja's.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I am usually up there for a night every other week or so. I may be up there tomorrow night. Not sure yet.

DtB

Reaction score
IMO two different lakes west shore and east shore. You can run all day up and down west shore Sunnyside to Meeks bay and it stays flat when zephyr cove cave rock is completely blown out I think a 22 donzi is the perfect Tahoe boat

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
My spectra on the worst days to be in havasu, windy and a holiday weekend. Everybody else heading for cover and I'm just out having a good time. Same with mead. I did one of the damn dam runs. Everybody was hugging the shore and I'm out in the middle. About every 3 wave I'd get air. Props wouldn't come out of the water but boat was rock solid crashing through the waves. Landings just felt like a pothole on the freeway. The ocean, same thing the choppier, the better. Big 8-10 foot roller, no problem. Big cruiser wake with the rollers means fun.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Here are a few local boats for sale, there are some definite deals out there in our area. Seems like there are not a lot of the bigger performance boats like at Havasu.

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/5754378342.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/5748895301.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/5767729215.html

I'd be a little suspicious on that Formula. Price is way low for 25 hours on HP500's in a 38 footer. Also, don't think it is a FAStech as they were twin step hulls and this is a straight hull. Pretty sure 1997 was first year for FAStechs.

If it is legit then that is a killer price! :thumbsup

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I bought my Cobalt off Tahoe. They are a deeper vee than most lake boats, making them one of the reasons they are so popular up there. The ride is so much better in rough water than many other boats. Here in the delta passing through wakes and wind driven whitecaps is really a non-issue in it. They are just solid boat, not race boats.

Buy a Cobalt in the length you want and not worry so much about it. Probably the best built mass produced boat on the market and designed for that kind of lifestyle.