WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Our new to us boat.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It finally came. Proud new owners of a 97' 240. Did the lake test this morning on mead and it couldn't have been better. Can't wait to start family memories with twin 4 yr old girls.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 33

Bucketlist

Reaction score
Congratulations! Nice looking gel design and condition! I have a 98 240 myself. I'm the 2nd owner and purchased it back in 2007 with 200 hours on it. I was only going to own it for two years until I could get my dream boat. Then the Great Recession happened. I have now owned it almost 9 years and 800 hours) and to be honest I like this boat more and more every year. It is a perfect boat for where I boat and how I boat (mostly Havasu and Needles these days). The 240 is by far the roomiest open bow that I know of. It rides nice for a 24' boat which these days is short. I have even used it in the ocean for day trips along Newport to Dana point. Each year I have slowly been refurbishing it back to new. This year was a new trailer and next year new upholstery. Happy to answer any questions you may have about your new baby!

DickieB

Reaction score
It finally came. Proud new owners of a 97' 240. Did the lake test this morning on mead and it couldn't have been better. Can't wait to start family memories with twin 4 yr old girls.

what kind of power? I'm still considering a 1997 240 with a 525SC with 48 hours on it. haven't pulled the trigger but I'm first in line in case someone else gets interested. I'm a little nervous about it sitting fo so long....

Sonic45SS

Reaction score
Good looking boat, congrats ! Lotta good memories and times to be had boating with the family....

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
We are so glad you finally found that perfect boat! I can't wait to see it on the water.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Wish we didn't have a commitment tomorrow or we would have been in havasu instead of coming home. . O well it gives me time to get the things I need for it.

It has a 502 efi with 250 hrs. I bought it from the 2nd owner who had for 10 yrs. and he bought it with 60 hrs. I recived 2 files about 2-3" thick a piece with Maintance records, and everything bought for it.

Its 20yrs old so it's not " perfect " but it's close. Some nicks in the gel I would like to get fixed and the teak floor I would like to redo, some slop in the steering and a new throttle control, new bunks on the trailer. The interior is newer and was done by Arko and had a new windshield installed by Hallett 5 yrs ago along with a ski pole.

This is the 5th Hallett in my wife's family and the 4th 240, the other is a 270. It will be our own little hallett's in havasu when we all hit the water together. Cannot wait.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Some pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Congratulations! Nice looking gel design and condition! I have a 98 240 myself. I'm the 2nd owner and purchased it back in 2007 with 200 hours on it. I was only going to own it for two years until I could get my dream boat. Then the Great Recession happened. I have now owned it almost 9 years and 800 hours) and to be honest I like this boat more and more every year. It is a perfect boat for where I boat and how I boat (mostly Havasu and Needles these days). The 240 is by far the roomiest open bow that I know of. It rides nice for a 24' boat which these days is short. I have even used it in the ocean for day trips along Newport to Dana point. Each year I have slowly been refurbishing it back to new. This year was a new trailer and next year new upholstery. Happy to answer any questions you may have about your new baby!

This is our first boat and I believe we will have it for some time. It's true the best all around boat for the size. I'm all ears for any pointers you have. Have you replaced the teak flooring?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
what kind of power? I'm still considering a 1997 240 with a 525SC with 48 hours on it. haven't pulled the trigger but I'm first in line in case someone else gets interested. I'm a little nervous about it sitting fo so long....

When was the last time it was in the water? and how is it stored? It would be a fun one with that power. If it hits the open market I'm sure it would be snatched up. I am completely surprised no one posted mine on the boards and if they did it would have been gone. I wouldn't wait if it's in great shape, but have the motor checked out first.

DickieB

Reaction score
When was the last time it was in the water? and how is it stored? It would be a fun one with that power. If it hits the open market I'm sure it would be snatched up. I am completely surprised no one posted mine on the boards and if they did it would have been gone. I wouldn't wait if it's in great shape, but have the motor checked out first.
it is totally original, has been stored inside an air-conditioned building all of it's life.it is immaculate but I am concerned about the engine sitting that long even though he had it serviced two years ago just for the heck of it but it still makes me nervous. condition wise, it's literally like new. I know this is a great find from the original owner whom I've known for years but I hate to spend that much $ on a 20 year old boat...call me crazy but.....

Done-it-again

Reaction score
it is totally original, has been stored inside an air-conditioned building all of it's life.it is immaculate but I am concerned about the engine sitting that long even though he had it serviced two years ago just for the heck of it but it still makes me nervous. condition wise, it's literally like new. I know this is a great find from the original owner whom I've known for years but I hate to spend that much $ on a 20 year old boat...call me crazy but.....

Souls like a nice sled. I think it is little crazy the cost of these as well, especially on a 20yr old boat. But they are not made anymore and in high demand when clean like you describing. If you are that close, have him take you out in it. I'm sure any fuel would need to be drained and replaced as I wouldn't run it from sitting. Is he wanting top $$$

DickieB

Reaction score
Souls like a nice sled. I think it is little crazy the cost of these as well, especially on a 20yr old boat. But they are not made anymore and in high demand when clean like you describing. If you are that close, have him take you out in it. I'm sure any fuel would need to be drained and replaced as I wouldn't run it from sitting. Is he wanting top $$$

All fuel was drained when he had it serviced, filters, etc. too. he has no issue with a lake test, I only worry about things like valve springs, etc. For our needs, I don't really need a blower motor but I understand the 525SC is pretty reliable.
We are between 35 and 38k(if it wasn't as immaculate as it is, I would'nt even be considering it)

Done-it-again

Reaction score
All fuel was drained when he had it serviced, filters, etc. too. he has no issue with a lake test, I only worry about things like valve springs, etc. For our needs, I don't really need a blower motor but I understand the 525SC is pretty reliable.
We are between 35 and 38k(if it wasn't as immaculate as it is, I would'nt even be considering it)

That 525sc is a carb motor correct? I talked to Absolute speed/marine when I looked at boat with a 525sc they were really helpful. I would suggest giving them a call as well. They would diffinitly know what would be needed for one sitting.

DickieB

Reaction score
That 525sc is a carb motor correct? I talked to Absolute speed/marine when I looked at boat with a 525sc they were really helpful. I would suggest giving them a call as well. They would diffinitly know what would be needed for one sitting.

Yep carburated motor, carb also gone thru when he had it serviced along with new plugs. he spent about $2,300.00 at the time and never put it back in the water.....again, he has no issue with a lake test, which is good but I don't know what to expect in the long run. Anyone else out there have any experience with a 525SC?

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
:thumbsup:thumbsup Great looking boat, congrats, I hope you and your family enjoy it.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

BUY IT!!!!!

Or post up here so someone else can. That boat needs to be out on the water being enjoyed!!!

The 454 525SC is a great little motor. Low comp, low boost run forever. Change the valve springs and off you go.

DickieB

Reaction score
BUY IT!!!!!

Or post up here so someone else can. That boat needs to be out on the water being enjoyed!!!

The 454 525SC is a great little motor. Low comp, low boost run forever. Change the valve springs and off you go.
Thanks for the input, starting to think the valve springs are the big issue on a motor that's been sitting. If we buy it, it's gonna be a family boat basically for the grandkids(10 yrs), just want dependability.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
BUY IT!!!!!

Thanks for the input, starting to think the valve springs are the big issue on a motor that's been sitting. If we buy it, it's gonna be a family boat basically for the grandkids(10 yrs), just want dependability.

I agree, pick it up. Do you have any pic's?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

If you aren't gonna pull the trigger on that let me know please.

dennisnyc40

Reaction score
Geez Dave I thought I was the only one to get up at 3am to see if anybody posted something new in the classifieds. I had Howard's and Halletts running in my head all nite.
Actually though I'am getting ready to go to work. :(

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Geez Dave I thought I was the only one to get up at 3am to see if anybody posted something new in the classifieds. I had Howard's and Halletts running in my head all nite.
Actually though I'am getting ready to go to work. :(

Finishing an article on a bad ass F-29 as a featured boat. This time of night is the only time the phone isn't always freakin ringing.. LOL

RD

dennisnyc40

Reaction score
Gotcha dave
Also just realized did not account for the time difference

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I just went out last weekend on a DCB 24 Extreme with a 525sc. We ran 85 with 3 people in it. The DCB is really a 22 with a built in swim deck, so weighs a lot less than a 240.

DickieB

Reaction score
Here you go.........I'm about a week from making a final decision. Having a hard time buying a 20 year old boat, even tho' it has 48 hours and is in mint condition. I've known the owner(original) for years and he tells me I have first dibs if someone else is interested......Would really like to find a Conquest or Magic or maybe Eliminator deck boat, a little older that hasn't had the shit beat out of it......What does the gang think this is REALLY worth?

Attachments

• Hallett6.JPG
    Hallett6.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 19
  • Hallett 2.jpg
    Hallett 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Hallett 4.JPG
    Hallett 4.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Hallett 1.jpg
    Hallett 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Hallett 5.JPG
    Hallett 5.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 23

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Here you go.........I'm about a week from making a final decision. Having a hard time buying a 20 year old boat, even tho' it has 48 hours and is in mint condition. I've known the owner(original) for years and he tells me I have first dibs if someone else is interested......Would really like to find a Conquest or Magic or maybe Eliminator deck boat, a little older that hasn't had the shit beat out of it......What does the gang think this is REALLY worth?

with 48 hrs the 35-38k your friend is asking doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.. it is a new boat. the only problem is its age and the fact that most anyone will end up using the boat so the low hours are going to be pretty short lived and t can end up having a hundred plus hours in four / five weekends.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Boat looks clean. I had mine out for the 1st since buying it on Sunday and it was a blast. Its just a stable boat, handles chop grate, cruised at 30mph running around 3100 rpm. Your not going to win races with it as its heavy as hell, but the ride quality and the room for a 24 is the best. You wont find the deck boats your are looking for in the same range as this is for sale. 65k plus will get you in deck boat territory.

I think some were around 35k mark and under would be a good. Any higher everything would need to perfect.

The teak floor on mine could be replaced, its not bad and can live with it. But a new floor would finish it off.

DickieB

Reaction score
Boat looks clean. I had mine out for the 1st since buying it on Sunday and it was a blast. Its just a stable boat, handles chop grate, cruised at 30mph running around 3100 rpm. Your not going to win races with it as its heavy as hell, but the ride quality and the room for a 24 is the best. You wont find the deck boats your are looking for in the same range as this is for sale. 65k plus will get you in deck boat territory.

I think some were around 35k mark and under would be a good. Any higher everything would need to perfect.

The teak floor on mine could be replaced, its not bad and can live with it. But a new floor would finish it off.

I'd like to be less than 35K, he's still thinking the 40K plus range, he seems to be hanging on to the 40K figure. From what I can see, the boat needs NOTHING, however, I still get nervous with the thing sitting most of the 20 years of its life and things start to happen..........I dunno, I gotta get off my ass and make a decision. Thanks for your input.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'd like to be less than 35K, he's still thinking the 40K plus range, he seems to be hanging on to the 40K figure. From what I can see, the boat needs NOTHING, however, I still get nervous with the thing sitting most of the 20 years of its life and things start to happen..........I dunno, I gotta get off my ass and make a decision. Thanks for your input.

40k can be a tough one. What are you worried about going bad? You mentioned the motor is good. What about the drive? Not sure what seals are in the drive and what can go bad from sitting. But I don't think the body itself can go bad from sitting. I say go for a ride and see if you start to smile. If the smile is not 40k worth then pass on it.

There is a 240 listed on here in the 40k range that looks like it dialed in as well.

DickieB

Reaction score
40k can be a tough one. What are you worried about going bad? You mentioned the motor is good. What about the drive? Not sure what seals are in the drive and what can go bad from sitting. But I don't think the body itself can go bad from sitting. I say go for a ride and see if you start to smile. If the smile is not 40k worth then pass on it.

There is a 240 listed on here in the 40k range that looks like it dialed in as well.

Not worried about the boat, it's everything attached to it that makes me nervous. I'm getting good feedback on the 525SC, I'm told it's pretty bullet proof, several peeps have suggested valve springs first thing. I'm tied up this weekend but think I'm gonna try for a lake test next week to ease my anxiety......