WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home AC HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
OK, so here's the situation.

I got the bright idea to relocate the thermostat for one of my home AC units. Basically to the other side of the wall that it was mounted on.

Before I disconnected it, I took a picture of the connections to make sure that I put each wire back where it came from.

I rerouted the wires, and connected the thermostat up on the other side of the wall. The thermostat reads "cooling" but the unit itself will not switch on.

I've checked the breakers, they are fine (switched them off and on a couple of times). I've gone up on the roof to check the quick disconnect, and it has no fuses in it. I do have 240 volts at the quick disconnect.

I've double, triple and quadruple checked my picture, and all the wires are where they are supposed to be in the terminal block. Also checked to make sure that the connections are all tight.

At this point, I am at a loss. Could there be fuses somewhere else within the unit itself? I am looking for ideas.....

?????

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Is there an outlet where the FAU is that maybe has a breaker on it? A gfci.....or whatever theyre called.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
There is an outlet up there (not sure what it is for), but it has no breaker on it. Plus, I have 3 units on my roof and only this 1 is not kicking on.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Scouter, did it lose its programming when you unhooked it possibly?
Hopefully one of the pros from Desert Aire sees this and walks you through it.

thedan

Reaction score
Found out the hard way on my Honeywell wifi thermostat that if you pop it off the wall/base while it is not in the "off" setting, it fries the thermostat. Afterwards, it looked/seemed functional, but did not activate the system.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
I've swapped this thermostat out with one of the other ones, and it works the other AC, so it's not fried.

I also hooked the swapped out one to this AC and nothing....

There has to be a fuse somewhere that got blown or something.... :(

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Did you unplug the furnace before you started moving wires? I fried a motherboard not doing that.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Leave a window open and come over and have a cocktail. It's beautiful out and we're watching my Aggies. I'll make you a drink to forget about your A/C.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I think Daytonababe has the best solution to your problem yet, you better take up on that offer hahaha! :drink

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Leave a window open and come over and have a cocktail. It's beautiful out and we're watching my Aggies. I'll make you a drink to forget about your A/C.

We will be over soon. Waiting for a call from work.... Are you going to watch the band at Martinez tonight?

RSoscia

Reaction score
How many wires did the thermostat have , you probably shorted out the control transformer fuse ( Common wire touched the red power wire ) on the circuit board. Should be a little 3 amp car fuse. Find that fuse depending on what you have its in the furnace or if its a roof top unit its up on the roof

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

Youre gonna need eXtra drinks too if your boys can't catch them Razorbacks. :D

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
How many wires did the thermostat have , you probably shorted out the control transformer fuse ( Common wire touched the red power wire ) on the circuit board. Should be a little 3 amp car fuse. Find that fuse depending on what you have its in the furnace or if its a roof top unit its up on the roof

Now this helps, Thank you....... Confession.... when I disconnected the thermostat from it's original location, I did not shut off the breaker (lesson learned). I did see 2 wires cross, and a little spark. (not sure which 2 wires crossed).

The thermostat has 10 wires connected (see pic below). Our house has a controller system that allows us to control everything from our phones or iPads, so some of the wires are for that.

I assume this fuse must be somewhere in the unit (it is a roof top unit), so I need to take off a panel to find the board....

Guess I'm going back up on the roof tomorrow.... :)

20160924_103936.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just seeing this but I'm guessing you toucjed your "r" and your "c" wore and blew the fuse on the control board. It should be S simple as changing the fuse on the board in the unit (3 or 5amp blade type fuse). Of that doesn't work hit me up and I can walk you through it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm just seeing this but Amy guessing you toucjed your "r" and your "c" wore and blew the fuse on the control board. It should be S simple as changing the fuse on the board in the unit (3 or 5amp blade type fuse). Of that doesn't work hit me up and I can walk you through it.
Billdo beat me to it.

I have no idea what kind of system you have so if you have a package unit in the roof, the fuse and control board will be there. If it's a split system (sperate indoor and outdoor units) the fuse and control board (if it has one) will be in the inside unit. Both types of systems could have an automotive type 3 amp blade fuse on the board, a resetable breaker on the transformer, a wired in-line fuse, or if you're really lucky, there could be no fuse protection at all and you fried the transformer (unlikely and kinda rare).

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Btw. There's a phrase I teach every new Hire.

RTFM

Read The Fucking Manual!

First step is always to kill power to the unit to avoid situations like this.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score

Ugh...... Ended up doing this ^^^^^^^^^ (A drink or several from DB) last night. Overslept this morning and missed our "Sunday Funday" fishing trip.... Oh well, we are rallying now and DB and Mr. DB are supposed to come over for breakfast and the Cardinals game.. :)

RTFM

Read The Fucking Manual!

Ha, Ha..... Early on in my career (30 some plus years ago ), I am an IT guy, when ever any one asked a technical question, the answer was always "RTFM it"....... :)

Going up on the roof soon..... Thanks everyone.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Ugh...... Ended up doing this ^^^^^^^^^ (A drink or several from DB) last night. Overslept this morning and missed our "Sunday Funday" fishing trip.... Oh well, we are rallying now and DB and Mr. DB are supposed to come over for breakfast and the Cardinals game.. :)

Ha, Ha..... Early on in my career (30 some plus years ago ), I am an IT guy, when ever any one asked a technical question, the answer was always "RTFM it"....... :)

Going up on the roof soon..... Thanks everyone.

If you need help when up there hit me up. Hopefully it's an easy quick fix.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Success......

They should really label the panels on these things to say "Hey dumbass, all the important shit is behind here"..... Took 3 panels off before I found the circuit boards....

Fuse was blown. I didn't have a 3 amp, so I put a 5 amp in. Will pick up some 3 amps when I am in town this week.

In the meantime, my office is nice and cool again.

Thanks everyone......

20160925_090309.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score

RTFM

Read The Fucking Manual!

I put up a sign in my garage that's directed at my 30 year old "kid".

It sez

"QUESTIONS?"

"RTFM!!"