WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texting and Driving.......SUCKS!!!!!

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Well so I'm out showing property yesterday with clients. Just one more stop before we go back to the office and write up an offer on the second stop of the day. We're on the north side of town, just pulled into the center lane on N. Palo Verde (at Griffin) just waiting for the white Toyota pickup (Tacoma) to pass so we could turn left..................... well just before the truck gets to us it looks like she just turns the wheel left and plows right into us at full speed, probably around 45 MPH. Fortunately it was a slight glancing blow for us but the Toyota took the full force with both her airbags going off, ours didn't deploy in hindsight fortunately as the injuries from the airbags would have probably just made things worse :eek

Caddy is for sure totalled as she moved us back almost 2-3' on impact, fortunately everyone was wearing belts in my car so while we were a bit sore we were all fine. The other driver (36 Y/O Female) was OK but completely rattled, if I heard her say "I'm sorry" one more time I don't know what I would have done..........seems she was texting, looking down and just kept going straight as the street was curving and BOOM right into us, nothing we could have done about it but fortunately I was able to turn a little to the right (we were barely rolling) and this helped with the glancing blow.

Toyota was completely crumpled back to drivers door (she had to get out on the passenger side) and the windshied was a mess......my car not so much but based on the value for sure it will be totaled.....damn I really liked this car:grumble:

Oh well I guess you never know whan it can happen......I thank God I wasn't riding the Harley:yikes

PLEASE DON"T TEXT AND DRIVE!!!!!
Front Left2.jpg
Close-up.jpg

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Bummer man! It's an epidemic for sure. The numbers of people I see texting and driving while riding my motorcycle is crazy.

sirbob

Reaction score
Dang that sucks !

I hate when people are not paying attention while driving - I have been rear ended 3 times !!!

My wife gets mad when I am in a texting drivers blind spot and I lay on my horn as hard as I can in an effort to scare the crap out of them / if it works to get them to put the phone down, Ive done my duty for the moment.

Too bad it won't last long though...

Singleton

Reaction score
Paul
Glad you and your customers are OK and hopefully feeling better today.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Glad to hear every one is ok... that's what I like about those Caddies.... they have great crumple zones and cabin safe features....

like I said... these are no accident... some one always wasn't paying attention to what they are doing...

damn... that was a nice caddie too....

I've been in more close calls in havasu.... seems everyone thinks they are the only one on the road..

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Glad you are all right, even the dingbat in the Toyota.

But there ain't anything wrong with the Caddy. Just pull the dents out with a pry-bar, put a couple PAR-36 lights in there and roll that mother like a boss... :thumbsup If you want to go all South Side Tucson with it, graft an Escalade front clip on there. :D

MalibuKen

Rockstar Rocks!
Reaction score
Glad you and your passengers came out unhurt!
I do not care what anyone says, a person cannot text and drive.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I cringe when sitting in the center lane waiting to turn.... For the exact reason of this accident.....
Looking back and forward, almost waiting to be hit....
Glad you all are okay

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok.

Not sure if it's only in California, or if it's even true for that matter, but I was recently told that if the cops think texting/your phone was the cause of an accident that they are actually able to go through your phone on the scene to see if you made a text/call/social media posting/etc

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok.

Not sure if it's only in California, or if it's even true for that matter, but I was recently told that if the cops think texting/your phone was the cause of an accident that they are actually able to go through your phone on the scene to see if you made a text/call/social media posting/etc
Negative. It was recently established in courts that the police need a warrant to search your phone. They will bag it immediately but cannot access it until a warrant is received.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
So what is the penalty in AZ (not CA) if a driver is found guilty of causing an accident if they were texting while driving? Glad all are OK.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So what is the penalty in AZ (not CA) if a driver is found guilty of causing an accident if they were texting while driving? Glad all are OK.

There aren't any escalations in punishment.
They're already deemed "at fault" for the accident, same as if they weren't texting at all.

Honestly the problem is getting worse despite countless laws, pucblic-service videos, etc.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Glad you are all right, even the dingbat in the Toyota.

But there ain't anything wrong with the Caddy. Just pull the dents out with a pry-bar, put a couple PAR-36 lights in there and roll that mother like a boss... :thumbsup If you want to go all South Side Tucson with it, graft an Escalade front clip on there. :D
Perfect:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Paul65k

Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok.

I heard he actually tell the cop that it happened because she was looking at her phone and didn't realize the road was curving.......no need to check any records there:grumble:

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Glad you and your clients are ok, I have to wonder with today's technology they couldn't tie texting to a GPS feature, if the phone is moving above a certain mph texting is disabled. Would suck for passengers but would help prevent this situation.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 15

goldy

Reaction score
Just got home and read this thread. So glad your ok Paul!!!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Glad you and your clients are ok, I have to wonder with today's technology they couldn't tie texting to a GPS feature, if the phone is moving above a certain mph texting is disabled. Would suck for passengers but would help prevent this situation.

Paul - glad you are OK

***** stop with the nanny / regulations on technology. It is brutal and will stifil innovation.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
IMHO, Texting drivers like these deserve some attention from Larry Parker esq. Instances like these deserve a little punitive effort.

charlyox

Reaction score
That SUX Paul. I am glad everybody is ok. Cars can be replaced, you not so much.

Paul65k

Reaction score
IMHO, Texting drivers like these deserve some attention from Larry Parker esq. Instances like these deserve a little punitive effort.

You know what's weird?......all the way to Laughlin today especially on the 2 lane road I kept imagining the cars coming the other way coming across and coming into my lane.....freaking scary[emoji15]

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You know what's weird?......all the way to Laughlin today especially on the 2 lane road I kept imagining the cars coming the other way coming across and coming into my lane.....freaking scary[emoji15]
That sucks. Affecting your own confidence isn't healthy.
Sure you all were ok.

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
Dang Paul! I'm glad you are OK! It's just a car, man. You'll get something bigger and better

TCHB

Reaction score
Everywhere you drive you see people texting. I am not sure how this problem will be solved.
Glad everyone is ok.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Glad everyone is OK.

It seems worse now than before the law was in place At least before the law people could hold the phone up high on their line of sight. The looking down is a huge factor in accidents. I don't know what the answer is, but it is bad now, and obviously people don't follow the law.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
5 point for texting & driving in NY and people still do it.:eek

racered

Reaction score
make it unprosecutable to bust out the window of said offender :grumble:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Jezzzz Paul. Hope you're ok tomorrow.

Fuck the car. Just nuts and bolts. You take good care of yourself.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Damn! Good thing is all of you are going to be OK. Sucks regarding the car but obviously lower on the totem pole than injuries.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok.

It's true. They can force you to unlock it and check the logs/texts timestamps if accused.

It's a god damn plague here in Kommifornistan, I can sit on my porch (10 blocks from freeway access, 3 times a day it's a heavy access street) and 10/20 are either holding their phone out in front of them yelling (not hands free you morons) or texting....then there are the makeup appliers...I wish I had a dollar every time I watched one cause an accident.

TCHB

Reaction score
What about the guys wearing both headphones listening to music? Again not sure how this will all end of maybe nothing will really change peoples habits.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Well as many of you may know 2 weeks ago today a texting driver hit my car head on here in Havasu. It's official as of yesterday the car is totaled :grumble:

Well life goes on and I need a car so....................I was off to CA last week to pick up a newer (and much nicer) version of the "Better Call Paul" car. this one is 8 years newer and has every single option available including Moon Roof, Cooled Seats and even Adaptive Cruise Control:cool

Here's what the original BCP car looked like after the accident:
IMG_3150.jpg IMG_3151.jpg IMG_3157.jpg IMG_3153.jpg

Here's the new car. It's a 2011 DTS Platinum and it drives like a dream.............also check out the new rear window no sporting the RDP logo :D

Left Side.jpg Left Rear.jpg Left Front.jpg Door Panel.jpg Dash - Closeup.jpg Center Console.jpg Platinum Door Sill.jpg Rear Seat.jpg IMG_3159.jpg IMG_3158.jpg

So next time we're looking at Real Estate in Havasu we'll be riding in comfort and style:thumbsup:thumbsup

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sometimes things have a way of working out. [emoji6] [emoji106]