WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1987 Eliminator Whaler Resto

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
First coat of satin clear.... I am guessing 3-4 total to really smooth it out. The color is constantly changing every day as it cures/dries and more sanding with clear...

IMG_0843.jpg

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
That really sucks that you'll have to just hang that art on the wall. :eek:eek

Time will tell, but these types of floors have been around for a long time and can take a lots of use. It's just wood and some clear, nothing some quick sanding and a clean up coat can't bring back to life every so often. But I understand I might have put a golden lid on a porcelain toilet! Lol... Once I started I just put my head down and got to work... lots left to do to get back on the water this spring!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I think I am done with the clear on the floors, but I want to let it cure for 4-5 days before decide for sure. Also I want a full cure before I put any tape on it for caulking and bilgekote etc.. I started mocking up the motor over the weekend.

IMG_0846.jpg

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
This looks awesome! Great work!

Is that the original engine before you started this resto? If not what did you have build?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
This looks awesome! Great work!

Is that the original engine before you started this resto? If not what did you have build?

Thanks for the compliment. The motor and out drive is the original Volvo penta 290. All I am doing is going through the whole package with maintenance. I am reusing the original 4 bolt short block, it ran fine had good compression and is still 4.0 never been bored. Unfortunately, it did have the dreaded 624 head casting at 76c, so what you see is one of the edlebrock matches top end kits with aluminum 64cc heads. I just want to keep it a reliable cruiser.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Really like the grain pattern layout.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That floor looks REALLY nice! What are you going to do at the joint between the fiberglass and wood?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
That floor looks REALLY nice! What are you going to do at the joint between the fiberglass and wood?

I am going to spend more time and money on something that nobody will probably ever see! The margins for the most part live under seat bases and the engine cover, but if you are going to drown and need a vest, please take a few moments to admire the details... lol

IMG_0905.jpg

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I am going to spend more time and money on something that nobody will probably ever see! The margins for the most part live under seat bases and the engine cover, but if you are going to drown and need a vest, please take a few moments to admire the details... lol

View attachment 537187

Holy balls man. That's really gorgeous. I wish I could see it in person.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Beautiful work, sir! I completely appreciate what it takes to put out a quality product like that. Very nice.

I suggest you add a swim platform off the back finished the same to match!:champagne:

Seriously, nice work.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Beautiful work, sir! I completely appreciate what it takes to put out a quality product like that. Very nice.

I suggest you add a swim platform off the back finished the same to match!:champagne:

Seriously, nice work.

You sick bastard.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I may be, but just sayin', that's what I'd do...:skull Except I wouldn't let anyone use it, it would just be for looking cool.:thumbup:

Back on the first page of this thread you can see where I spent money with the fiberglass guy to declutter the transom and removed the swimstep holes. I plan on some swim step eventually. It might be a project for next of season, but I haven't decided on wood or billet aluminum. I also still have the original fiberglass step, but that is not likely to make the cut. I already am crying inside at the thought of screwing seat bases into the floor! But it has to be done. I already threatened everyone around here that I may just go with a single seat and no interior with an open motor. Haha

;):p

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I already am crying inside at the thought of screwing seat bases into the floor! But it has to be done. I already threatened everyone around here that I may just go with a single seat and no interior with an open motor. Haha

;):p

Right on! Do like the offshore fishing guys do, everyone gets a bean bag chair! :thumbsup

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Getting close, and looking good! I'm right behind you. Well, a little way behind you, but within sight. Keep it up!:thumbsup

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My goal is to have this boat on Parker next weekend!!

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 516

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
VERY NICE! What I would describe as "crisp".

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Congratulations, that came out awesome! Very nice work, looks classy; not too simple, and not over the top. Now it's time to go enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing the ride with us. Craftsmanship such as yours is impressive to watch and view the final results.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I am not real expirenced with motor builds but the old top end was giving me 120 psi across all cylinders except #8 which was lower around 90 psi. The new top end with a cold compression check gave me 180 across all cylinders... so I am going to conclude that I am in much better shape???

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
That thing looks awesome on the water! Hopefully you got a few hours on the water to enjoy your hard work.

How’s the floor holding up? Interior looks great too.

Looks like you’ve got the original “center console”:D

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have had it out a couple of times and besides a couple minor re-rigging issues, its been running better than ever. The floors are holding up just like new, but it sits in a climate controlled garage under a cover when not at the lake. No shoes allowed. I have 8 large WHITE towels that each person gets issued to use (no colored towels on the boat).

I need to get a new 21P prop, the extra ponies has the 17P spinning out of control. I run the 17 up at Lake Powell and haven't had the desire or need in the past to prop it correctly down in the Valley. But now the 17 is just too much hole shot....

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Based on all the funny comments in the lounge about Center Consoles are awesome or they Suck depending on your point of view. I am officially going to redo the classic Eliminator badge on my boat and replace it with "Eliminator 205 CC".... Check out my sig... let see if anyone ever notices it!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Just a little update... 2 seasons in now, she doesn't see a lot of daylight, but just finished up the second Lake Powell trip and old girl held up to the Lake Powell Challenge... tried to chase down some new Center Consoles, but my angle of attack wasn't right!

This is pictured at Antelope Marina before we headed out for the week!

powell.jpg

poncho

Reaction score
That is such a cool and iconic boat, I would be proud to own that....nice job.

E4L

Reaction score
Very cool. Came out bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk