WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What I learned about trailer wheels in the past 2 months.

Mike K

Reaction score
I was going to update the look of my trailer my getting rid of the 15x7 chrome moly's ... I already had new 235/60/15 Trailer tires put on about 4 months ago so I was looking for 15 x7 cool wheels. I heard from every wheel site and everyone about the you must have a "zero offset" and bore size of at least 83 mm and a load rating of at least 1800lbs a wheel. OK ... everything fine except the zero offset talk ... I pulled the wheels off my extreme trailer and they were no way close to a zero offset ... more like -24 at least .... anyway my point is this ... these wheels came from Extreme back in 2008 ... never an issue ... it's almost impossibe to find a decent 15 inch wheel with a zero offset ... again I searched for over 2 months ... when I finally pulled the wheel off and saw it was not even close to a zero offset. I got some cool wheels 15x7 with a -6mm offset and they are just fine. I't doesnt really look like the zero offset is set in stone. . IMHO

jmeads

Reaction score
I was going to update the look of my trailer my getting rid of the 15x7 chrome moly's ... I already had new 235/60/15 Trailer tires put on about 4 months ago so I was looking for 15 x7 cool wheels. I heard from every wheel site and everyone about the you must have a "zero offset" and bore size of at least 83 mm and a load rating of at least 1800lbs a wheel. OK ... everything fine except the zero offset talk ... I pulled the wheels off my extreme trailer and they were no way close to a zero offset ... more like -24 at least .... anyway my point is this ... these wheels came from Extreme back in 2008 ... never an issue ... it's almost impossibe to find a decent 15 inch wheel with a zero offset ... again I searched for over 2 months ... when I finally pulled the wheel off and saw it was not even close to a zero offset. I got some cool wheels 15x7 with a -6mm offset and they are just fine. I't doesnt really look like the zero offset is set in stone. . IMHO

post pictures of what you ended up getting

Mike K

Reaction score
The guys at Discount Tire in Havasu ordered these for me. I tried one to test fit ... I'll put the other 5 on next week.

Attachments

• IMG_7174.jpg
    IMG_7174.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 240

Mike K

Reaction score
The guys at Discount Tire in Havasu ordered these for me. I tried one to test fit ... I'll put the other 6 on next week.

If anyone wants the 7 (includes spare) 15 x 7 & 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern Chrome Molys , came off an Extreme Trailer ... I'll sell all 7 for $200. They are perfect.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If anyone wants the 7 (includes spare) 15 x 7 & 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern Chrome Molys , came off an Extreme Trailer ... I'll sell all 7 for $200. They are perfect.

I will take them. PM you my number.

Mike K

Reaction score
An important thing I did learn was that the "zero offset" rule for trailer wheels isnt really all that ... the wheels I took off had more of an offset than the new ones I bought ... so ... what I am saying is ... this really opens up the choice of more wheels you can get for your trailer ... seriously ... the original wheels that came with my Extreme trailer had at least 3 inches from the edge of the wheel to the plate where the lugs go ( looking at the wheel ) and my new almost zero offset wheels have about an inch. So that there says ... hey if Extreme puts on wheels with a deeper dish ... well you would think they know what they are doing?
The real important thing is "how many lbs (pounds)" will each wheel carry... that's the important thing ... some are about 1200 lbs per wheel ... well if you have a triple axle trailer carrying a total weight of about 7500 lbs ... you take the 6 wheels times that skimpy 1200 lbs per wheel and you get 7200 lbs ... really ? ... go for wheels that have at least 1800 lbs to 2200 lbs and have extra weight carry capacity for when you fill up with gas and all ur gear or maybe even hit a bad bump. Just saying. :thumbup:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
An important thing I did learn was that the "zero offset" rule for trailer wheels isnt really all that ... the wheels I took off had more of an offset than the new ones I bought ... so ... what I am saying is ... this really opens up the choice of more wheels you can get for your trailer ... seriously ... the original wheels that came with my Extreme trailer had at least 3 inches from the edge of the wheel to the plate where the lugs go ( looking at the wheel ) and my new almost zero offset wheels have about an inch. So that there says ... hey if Extreme puts on wheels with a deeper dish ... well you would think they know what they are doing?
The real important thing is "how many lbs (pounds)" will each wheel carry... that's the important thing ... some are about 1200 lbs per wheel ... well if you have a triple axle trailer carrying a total weight of about 7500 lbs ... you take the 6 wheels times that skimpy 1200 lbs per wheel and you get 7200 lbs ... really ? ... go for wheels that have at least 1800 lbs to 2200 lbs and have extra weight carry capacity for when you fill up with gas and all ur gear or maybe even hit a bad bump. Just saying. [emoji106]
Keep in mind "offset" and "backspacing" are 2 different terms and measurements. The measurements you are referring to in this post are the backspacing. Distance from inner lip to wheel face (not sure of proper term) is backspacing. Offset is how much that face is moved in relationship to the centerline of the wheel. So, a wheel that is 7" wide from inner to outter lip and a 0 offset would have a backspacing of 3.5".