WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Days of the week. Do you know why they have the names they do?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
These names have survived in European languages, but English names also reflect an Anglo-Saxon influence. See the English day names and their influences in the chart below.

SUNDAY An obvious one. Named for the sun. In latin it was Solis. That root word is apparent in words like Solar.

MONDAY Another simple one named after the Moon, in latin, Lunae. In Spanish Monday Lunes.. you can see the latin root word in our word "Lunar."

TUESDAY Named after the planet Mars. But Tuesday doesn't even sound like mars? Mars was the Roman god of war. In English it became named after the Norse God Tyr and the Anglo Saxon god of war named Tiw. So the named became familiarized as Tiw's day. Which has became they day we know as Tuesday.

WEDNESDAY Named for Mercury. In Spanish the day is Miercoles. In English Mercury was the Anglo-Saxon equivalent of the Norse god Odin. In Old English Odin is known as Woden. So Wednesday is from Woden's Day.

THURSDAY Is named for Jupiter. In spanish it is Jueves after the original Roman word Jovis. Jupiter is the largest planet in the sky. Our English word is named after the great Norse god Thor, their equivalent to Jupiter. So this day is Thor's day.

FRIDAY Is named for the nearby planet Venus. A female connotation, named after the god of fertility and love. You have heard of the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"? The book title makes more sense when you think Mars connotates war, and Venus represents love. The norse god "Frigg" is their equivalent god of love and fertility. You probably recognize the word Frig as an English swear word. So Friday is Frigg's Day.

SATURDAY If you are catching on you will notice that Saturn is a big part of the word Saturday. Saturn is the Roman god of agriculture.

No one seemed to know why some days are true to their Roman roots and some are taken from the Nordic language. I assume whatever became the most common usage was adopted without much thought.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Damn Romans, always trying to name everything.

TexasJet

Reaction score
What I want to know is how did Sunday become the first day of the week. How did the second day get named Monday and not, say, Tuesday? How did the order get set? It always seemed to me that Monday should start the week.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
IMG_0069.JPG

j-bone

Reaction score
What I want to know is how did Sunday become the first day of the week. How did the second day get named Monday and not, say, Tuesday? How did the order get set? It always seemed to me that Monday should start the week.

Who says the week begins with Sunday? Some calendars have it Sunday and some have it as Monday. I always thought Sunday was the 7th day. A day of rest according to the Bible. Also, we refer to Saturday and Sunday as the weekend.