WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F california and smog

fishing fool

Reaction score
I guess I need to smog my diesel every year now. Best part is there is nothing that they do but make me take my tune off.
$380 for a 2005 truck, that sucks.
If I did not get a great rate for insurance I would change to Arizona.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I guess I need to smog my diesel every year now. Best part is there is nothing that they do but make me take my tune off.
$380 for a 2005 truck, that sucks.
If I did not get a great rate for insurance I would change to Arizona.

WTF? How come???

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
What caused it to be every year? New law change? If so, what years does it affect?

Singleton

Reaction score
Thought it was every other year. Better look tonight

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
My 2015 I had to do the 1st year for registration...my '05 and '11 I never did once.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
It's every other year. My 2015 has to be smogged this month. My 04' was the same.

Total bullshit test and a waist of time but a revenue generator I'm sure.

I thought about buying an F450 rather than the F350 just to avoid the smog but the weight fee registration cost difference didn't compute.

EDIT: Did something change because this is the first time I've had to smog my 15'? My 04' was every other year too. They assigned years by the vin #.

asa400ex

Reaction score
I have an 02 diesel and I think my registration was around $380 last year. I also have been doing the smog every two years since the law change. Just be careful about changing to AZ. I had a buddy do that and get pulled of on the 40. His ticket was over $1000. The cop will look up when you have a CDL where you are registered to vote.

dribble

Reaction score
You don't need to smog your truck every year. There is no new law in effect. If you want to PM me the plate number, I'll find out what's going on.

Wadernation

Reaction score
We have to do our diesels for work and have been for a few years. (i think twice so far). Luckily i live in a very rural area outside san diego and DMV exempts mine from smog.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Same here. I have a 2015 diesel that needs to be smogged this week on top of the almost $700 registration fees.:grumble: The thing burns so clean compared to my previous diesels...never even seen a puff of smoke.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We have to do our diesels for work and have been for a few years. (i think twice so far). Luckily i live in a very rural area outside san diego and DMV exempts mine from smog.

I have an acquaintance buddy that does this and the address technically doesn't exist but mail is undeliverable. He used google maps to find it as he has no property there. Only address he can provide is a PO Box, which he legitimately has for this purpose alone.

Smog exempt [emoji2]

Wadernation

Reaction score
I have an acquaintance buddy that does this and the address technically doesn't exist but mail is undeliverable. He used google maps to find it as he has no property there. Only address he can provide is a PO Box, which he legitimately has for this purpose alone.

Smog exempt [emoji2]

winner winner! All my buddies caught wind of this and all send their registration to me PO BOX (same idea). According to the DMV i probably have 5 diesels registered to that box..oops.
so far no red flags.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I hate paying the $45 every other year. $380 your smog guy must of known you are a Fool.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
It is every other year and you do not have to remove tuner. Just set tuner to stock mode so it won't huff smoke or don't; I never did.

The tech will be looking to see that your DOC and DPF are in still present. Some people with pre-2007.5 models, hollowed the DOC to alleviate that issue. I've yet to see a hollow DPF with the air lines and sending units attached to the aftermarket pipe. I think it would be more of a pain than it's worth if upgrading to a 4" or 5" system as both filters have smaller diameter inlets and outlets. It's easier to find a tech that looks the other way. ;)

Diesel smog should not be more than $75.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
This will affect all diesel trucks model year 1998 and up. it is an opacity test, basically smoke out of the pipe. they do visual but it would be tough to catch some modifications. mainly a big reason I will never give up my 96' 12 valve, funny every time I call napa for parts, the guy there keeps asking if I want to sell my truck haha! I'm always like hell no! I could not deal with the opacity testing, and the restrictions, and on the newer trucks, the DEF requirements.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My wife says we pay fifty bucks, and it's still every two years. *shrug*

NicPaus

Reaction score
If it was $380 i would of already switched the address to the river pad like mentioned. Most do it as there is no smog shop out there so exempt. With 3 trucks it feels like every year but I had him check last time i smogged and every other.

fishing fool

Reaction score
It's $50 to smog the $380 is dmv fees. I did it last year and the renewal came in the mail to smog again this year. The girl said it changed to every year for diesel.
They plug it in so I took the tune off, did not drive it enough for the computer to reset so looks like I will come back Monday after driving all weekend

dribble

Reaction score
PM sent back. Diesels are not required to be tested every year. It's every other year like all other vehicles.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Wish that were so- we have to smog our sprinters every year.

Its complete bullshit.

UD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The STAR program selects certain vehicle / engine combos to be smogged EVERY year. You may be one of the luck ones

dribble

Reaction score
The STAR program selects certain vehicle / engine combos to be smogged EVERY year. You may be one of the luck ones
There is no such provision in the Star Program. Only Government fleet vehicles are required to be smogged every year. No other vehicles require annual testing.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
There is no such provision in the Star Program. Only Government fleet vehicles are required to be smogged every year. No other vehicles require annual testing.

Been there and had to do it. Sisters 1996 civic - every year a STAR smog was required, we would receive the notice every year in order to register. Actually had her sell the car because of it. - it can happen

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Perhaps last two years Ive been lucky.

Fuckers- I deduct every cent of this shit.

UD

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Been there and had to do it. Sisters 1996 civic - every year a STAR smog was required, we would receive the notice every year in order to register. Actually had her sell the car because of it. Actually happened to me so it's not heresay - it can happen

That's exactly what the state wanted you to do , sell the car , scrap the car , whatever , you bought something newer and paid a tax ...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That's exactly what the state wanted you to do , sell the car , scrap the car , whatever , you bought something newer and paid a tax ...

I didn't do any of the above - not my car [emoji3]

But what could I have done to keep the state from sending me STAR notices yearly?

dribble

Reaction score
I didn't do any of the above - not my car [emoji3]

But what could I have done to keep the state from sending me STAR notices yearly?

Call DMV and have them correct the mistake. There are directed vehicles. This is required as part of the SIP (State Implementation Plan) that CA and EPA agreed to but again, there are no annual Star Smog requirements. None, Zip, Nada. Frankly, the state doesn't care in you retire the vehicle or not. They always run out of vehicle retirement money about two months before the end of the fiscal year as only so much is budgeted. They run out of money because it's a great way for people to get $1000.00 -$1500.00 for a $500.00 car. All it has to do is drive forward 20 feet and have most of it's glass and sheet metal. There are more people retiring cars than there is money to pay for it.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I had to smog my natural gas civic this year and I have the white clean air stickers.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
One of my river neighbors told me he registers all of his vehicles to the Needles house. Its condidered a rural area, and under a different smog requirement from other areas of CA. Smog is only required upon transfer of ownership. No smog unless you just bought it or are selling it. If thats true, im gonna be one happy dude :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
One of my river neighbors told me he registers all of his vehicles to the Needles house. Its condidered a rural area, and under a different smog requirement from other areas of CA. Smog is only required upon transfer of ownership. No smog unless you just bought it or are selling it. If thats true, im gonna be one happy dude :D

I garage all my fun cars at the Earp river house[emoji106][emoji12]

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I had one across from me for sale last year.....We could have been LS neighbors with smog exemptions....would have been awesome lol

Damn that would have been perfect :). If anything ever happened I'd just register my track car in AZ. Pretty low risk as it does not hit the street too much.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

mariposa county is the same, only smog on change of ownership. thought there was only a couple of counties left.