Spray Foam!

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
20161021_120632.jpg
20161021_130913.jpg

2# closed cell spray foam.
R-6.8 per inch.

In these 2x6 walls, the owner will fill the balance of the stud cavity with r-19 fiberglass.

The foam stops the wind from blowing through the cavity.
Makes the fiberglass perform really well.

It will a nice cozy place to work on toys while it's -20 below, up here in the tundra..

Headless hula

Reaction score
20161021_124324.jpg

Hello, I'm from the government. I'm here to help. Lmao...

I use a supplied air hood while applying foam. Keeps the vapors out of my lungs and eyes. Reminds me of the guys in E.T. when they showed up to haul his ass off.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Having this equipment is also useful for fiberglass work.
Lmao...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I use too do a bunch of spary foam.

I use to mainly work on historic buildings. a good closed cell did wonders for sealing them up.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Why not all foam?

Cost.

Here, foam will run a buck a board foot.
12x12x1

That gets pretty spicy when you triple the cost and go 3" thick.

Besides. Doing the hybrid system works really well.
It's a proven performer.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I use too do a bunch of spary foam.

I use to mainly work on historic buildings. a good closed cell did wonders for sealing them up.

We're you an applicator for someone or did you own your own rig?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is this that spray in insulation? I just recently found out my RV garage isn't insulated at all.. and here I am keeping it at 72 degrees year round.. so I'm thinking aside from solar to offset our ridiculous electricity that the spray in insulation would be a good idea

Joe mama

Reaction score
Is this that spray in insulation? I just recently found out my RV garage isn't insulated at all.. and here I am keeping it at 72 degrees year round.. so I'm thinking aside from solar to offset our ridiculous electricity that the spray in insulation would be a good idea

No shit! any insulation would be a good idea.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

you would have to pull all the drywall. a better would be blow in poly fill. then you just have to patch a bunch of 2" holes.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Did you open up a wall? I can't believe anybody would build an RV garage today without insulation, your house doesn't look that old.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
it saves a couple hundred and is not required by code.

it really is that simple.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
you would have to pull all the drywall. a better would be blow in poly fill. then you just have to patch a bunch of 2" holes.

Is that what it's called? I thought it was just called spray in foam?

Did you open up a wall? I can't believe anybody would build an RV garage today without insulation, your house doesn't look that old.

Yes I opened up a wall and found nada in there.. House is a 2011.

RD

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I know a lot of the older homes don't have it but I just am surprised on a newer home like that, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing a lot of shitty builders come and go.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Nobody lived in Dave's house before him. It was a home for the original owners friends. I never saw anybody there until Dave moved in. So why spend the money

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If I was using it as just weekend house / garage I probably wouldn't insulate it, as it doesn't get that hot now.. But being that I spend most my days in here running the AC like an asshole.. I think it might be a good idea.

RD

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If I was using it as just weekend house / garage I probably wouldn't insulate it, as it doesn't get that hot now.. But being that I spend most my days in here running the AC like an asshole.. I think it might be a good idea.

RD

Does your AC run all the time? I'm thinking you'd save a shit ton of money with insulation.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Does your AC run all the time? I'm thinking you'd save a shit ton of money with insulation.

Weather is nice right now so I have the doors open.. but in a few weeks here we will be running the AC's at Heat pumps and heating the garage.. :D

So basically they run most of the year.

RD

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
A lot of the builders (not all) here in town don't insulate the garages or at least weren't until just recently. They say it's to let the heat out when you drive your cars in....which is really BS as it's really all about the cost. It's just something you have to ask about when you are specing your house with the builder........it's absolutely crazy to try and AC a garage without it but you can probably keep it pretty cool with a swamp cooler without insulation but not for Dave's purposes it should be insulated.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A lot of the builders (not all) here in town don't insulate the garages or at least weren't until just recently. They say it's to let the heat out when you drive your cars in....which is really BS as it's really all about the cost. It's just something you have to ask about when you are specing your house with the builder........it's absolutely crazy to try and AC a garage without it but you can probably keep it pretty cool with a swamp cooler without insulation but not for Dave's purposes it should be insulated.

You got a vendor that does it?

RD

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Is that what it's called? I thought it was just called spray in foam?

Yes I opened up a wall and found nada in there.. House is a 2011.

RD

you are thinking about blow in. spray is 2 part foam( like in boats) its a part a and b that is fed by 2 airless pumps to a gun where its mixed and applied. blow in lose material that is just that blown in with air. poly fill is similar but designed for un accessable areas, but some people do install before drywall with a plastic sheet to contain it( rare out west, but more common in the east)

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

When I built my RV garage over 10 years ago I made sure that the walls and ceiling got insulated.

77charger

Reaction score
Seen on a couple job sites in menifee and fontana meritage homes they do the foam insulation.They also do so pretty thick 3-4 inches gotta be nice for insulating but a pain in ass for any future audio video electrical upgrades.

Headless hula

Reaction score
My guess would be that most urethane spray foams that are used out west would be open cell. It's typically a less dense and not a vapor retardant type of foam. Your climate just doesn't dictate it's use. As you are typically cooling vs heating.

Headless hula

Reaction score
It's all about the placement of vapor barriers.

XX14

Reaction score
We're building a home and making a decision about foam so I'll jump in here and ask the question. I was recently told that there are studies being done about the foam insulating so well that it's becoming a hazard because it's stoping electrical wires from dissipating heat. Any validity to that? The "sales" guy said it takes more energy to putsch electrons through hot wire and it was possibly a fire hazard. Thoughts?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We're building a home and making a decision about foam so I'll jump in here and ask the question. I was recently told that there are studies being done about the foam insulating so well that it's becoming a hazard because it's stoping electrical wires from dissipating heat. Any validity to that? The "sales" guy said it takes more energy to putsch electrons through hot wire and it was possibly a fire hazard. Thoughts?

That sounds like bullshit to me.

RD

Headless hula

Reaction score

Bullshit. I've been a builder for 18 years. Been doing spray foam and polyurea coatings for the past 4.

Headless hula

Reaction score

I would seriously consider finding someone else to purchase your home through. The clown you are dealing with is beyond misinformed and if that is his understanding of how things work he is the last person you want giving you information on your new home

Taboma

Reaction score
The sales guy is not entirely incorrect and I imagine this is where it came from.

This certainly doesn't mean in general it's a problem but under certain conditions it can be.

The following is from the Dept. of Energy insulation guidelines:
Dept of Energy insulation guide lines copy.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
I will also add, that on various electrical forums there has been serious discussion in regards to sprayed in foam insulation and NM (Romex) cable. Some of the discussion is in regards to the lack of heat dissipation, due to being encapsulated in the foam, the other discussion is regarding the chemical effects of the spray on foam to the outer jacket material.

In brief, if there is a wiring heat problem due to an overload circuit, or bad connections, certainly losing the ability to dissipate heat is going to exacerbate the already existing condition. If the overload protection is working properly, you'll experience more tripping, if it's an old Zinsco or Federal breaker, your house will burn down :yikes :D

Joker

Reaction score

Dave, I rented a unit from Depot to blow insulation behind the drywall. It worked great. Just locate the blocking and bore holes the size of the nozzle. Save the pieces you remove and have someone reinstall them.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

The spray foam is pricey, but in the end it's really worth the cost even if you go with them minimum thickness and back it up with R-19.

I did this here in the cold northeast in several places around my house, and specifically on the rim joist around my basement.

The house doesn't gain heat as quickly in the summer and doesn't lose it as quickly in the winter.

What I have noticed, is that the converse is not always a desired characteristic either. If the building is hot, it stays hot longer, and if it's cold it stays cold longer. The key with a well insulated building is to maintain a constant temperature and not let it vary too much from the set points. 75 max in the summer and 70 minimum in the winter.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Just cut some holes at the ceiling level and pourr some foam in

Joker

Reaction score
Yup, but he needs to find the fire block locations in the walls. I noticed I had to put the cut out pieces back(temporarily)in to maintain pressure at the current hole.

CoronaChris

Reaction score
Small world been in the coatings industry now for over 18 years and own protectivecoatingsolutions.net . Let me know if you need any insulation foams or ureas. We have mostly everything you need and always like to hook up fellow board members. Foams are super competitive so not much mark up on my end also when you buy from me I give great discouts across the board on all graco / glas-craft repair parts and equipment.

Cheers and best of luck within the coatings industry.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Small world been in the coatings industry now for over 18 years and own protectivecoatingsolutions.net . Let me know if you need any insulation foams or ureas. We have mostly everything you need and always like to hook up fellow board members. Foams are super competitive so not much mark up on my end also when you buy from me I give great discouts across the board on all graco / glas-craft repair parts and equipment.

Cheers and best of luck within the coatings industry.

Thank you !

I sent you a pm.

Headless hula

Reaction score
20161023_112638.jpg 20161023_112658.jpg

I'll foam anything for a buck. Lol..
A buddy owns a towing and hauling company, he's using this truck for mobile repairs. The foam on the ceiling will reinforce it amd keep the cold out in winter.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Bullshit. I've been a builder for 18 years. Been doing spray foam and polyurea coatings for the past 4.

I wouldn't call it complete Bullshit!! Wires get derated for many reasons do to heat build up in the conductors..

Headless hula

Reaction score
Considering you're spraying foam, that's a clean job[emoji106]

Any knucklehead can make a mess. It takes a special knucklehead to keep the mess in one place.

They take my helmet off once in a while, that way i can lick the windows. :D:D

Headless hula

Reaction score
20161023_132054.jpg

Cleaned up a bit, and down the road.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it complete Bullshit!! Wires get derated for many reasons do to heat build up in the conductors..

To be clear, in my region of the country, 1 inch of foam gets applied to a stud cavity and then backed up with r-19 fiberglass. This would be in 2x6 exterior wall. Closed cell 2 lb density foam. Not filling a cavity with open cell, less dense foams. The wires in a stud cavity aren't getting completely encased in foam. I cannot speak about what builders in other areas of the country are using.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
YOU LHC guys should be also rolling with solar electricity.
You can even Air Condition the Dogs House.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
The stucco system they use in az is foam boards covered with wire and 1/2" cement then stucco coat. So you do have some insulation in the garage RD.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

That sounds like he doesn't do foam so he selling you on his system.