WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Offset Smoker build

Rickybobby

Reaction score
So I have been following some of you guys here for awhile watching the amazing stuff you come up with and I decided to jump in and try my hand. I am by no means a "foodie" but I do like to eat and really love anything bbq/smoked. I have been watching Craigslist for a deal on a smoker (looking for a wood/charcoal unit) and finally got a "smokin" deal on one this weekend. The plan is to see if I really like this type of cooking on a Cheap Offset Smoker (COS) and if it goes well, maybe step up to something a little nicer.

Youtube has a ton of videos on how to modify/improve your COS so that is where I am at right now. Kinda of irritated already as nobody really sells HiTemp RTV and Nomex tape in town. Made several calls today at lunch and driven to 2 big box stores only to discover that, "you can order it on line"!!! :grumble::grumble::grumble: Amazon had what I was looking for so standby for updates!!

I need to get this thing going so I can burn something in it before we try Turkeys later this month.

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 228

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Bbqs Galore sells nomex tape to seal Big Green Eggs/Kamado's.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
I think I saw that earlier today on their website but the shop that was in the 'nard closed a few years back:grumble::grumble::grumble: Maybe this is a test to see if I can stand waiting all day or in the case all week to get shit done???

PhyrMnGil

Reaction score
I have a COS also. Try BBQsmokermods.com.
I think that was it. They have mod kits for different smokers.
Got mine there.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Extended the vent with a 3inch elbow, used an old license plate as a heat diffuser (temporary) and installed the Nomex tape and sealed the fire box with high temp food grade RTV.

Got a big fire going to try and season the thing after I wiped the inside down with Vegetable oil.

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 203

Rickybobby

Reaction score
We decided we could do better than the old license plate and drilled some holes in a thin plate steel. Brined 2 chickens over night for our initial attempt and I did a different dry rub on each one to see which one we like.

The "Tiny Dog" had to standby to help!!!

Got my fire going and threw those babies on!!! About 2 half hours later, I checked with the thermometer and they were good to go!!!! I was a little stressed out bc I read somewhere that the temp needed to be 325 degrees to get the yardbird to cook, and based on my initial attempt it was difficult to maintain that temp.

I did discover that I need the grading under the coals for better air flow and I will pickup the cheesy clamp latches at Harbor Freight as you could see the smoke leaking out from the lid.

Check out Arron Franklin's book if your interested in Texas style smoking, this guy looks like he knows what he is doing???

The birds look brunt but it is just the skin. The meat was cooked (Rare chicken meat freaks me out so I almost always over cook it) with plenty of moisture and a solid smoke flavor. Everyone like it and I was pretty happy with my first attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4190.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 201

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Based on the success of the two chicks i smoked, it was time to step up to the plate for the big day. Had the birds thawed for a few days and then they went into the brine soak. 20 or so hours in the brine and then injected with butter/garlic and secret rub. More secret rub on the outside and then into the smoker which I had started earlier. I tried to keep the temp above 220 and after about 4 hours, they were good to go (all the meat inside was above 165 degrees).

Learnings from this go round.

Buy a better injector, broke it on the second bird (although I couldn't really tell the difference between them, maybe need more research!!)
I think I could have cut back on the smoke and the temp and let it cook longer??. Smoke flavor was pretty strong but everyone seemed to enjoy the flavor (maybe just being nice??)
Move smoker to the backyard even it pisses off my neighbors!!!

So far I like this smoking with fire stuff, just need to get a bunch of them under my belt. It was fun to mess with and we even watched Lone Survivor in the garage while we waited!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 186