WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barber Welding.Rudder Question

rightytighty

Reaction score
So I'm going to have Barber make a new rudder for my cruiser (just being safe). 2 choices. steel and Stainless with Stainless being almost twice the money. I've always thought Steel was better but Kent has me wondering. I'm not worried about rust of Steel. Already use WD 40 and steel wool on prop every use anyway. Boat is Sanger Mini with 565 pump gas and T400. Thanks for the help! I'm

jstnoc

Reaction score
I have the same question. Looking forward to others input and experiences.

jmeads

Reaction score
So I'm going to have Barber make a new rudder for my cruiser (just being safe). 2 choices. steel and Stainless with Stainless being almost twice the money. I've always thought Steel was better but Kent has me wondering. I'm not worried about rust of Steel. Already use WD 40 and steel wool on prop every use anyway. Boat is Sanger Mini with 565 pump gas and T400. Thanks for the help! I'm

Can you share the price quoted for each. Steel vs stainless. Stainless being twice the amount. Curious what a new rudder sells for these days. Thanks

rightytighty

Reaction score
Can you share the price quoted for each. Steel vs stainless. Stainless being twice the amount. Curious what a new rudder sells for these days. Thanks

To copy my existing, in steel, he quoted 8-900 (ball park). He said Stainless (and chromed) is "about double". If I went SS, I wouldn't add the chrome. He said most guys these days are going SS. I was surprised by that statement. Kent was a super cool guy to talk to. Obviously knows boats, but I was still scratching my head afterward.

rivergames

Reaction score
For a river boat, I would go stainless. The stainless gets polished, not chromed. All you have to do is look under and inspect for cracks. Once in a while, pull off and get it checked. Polished Stainless rudders pretty much require 0 maintenance. I've never had stainless rudders warp or bend on me, but that is not thrashing on the rudder.

For a race boat, I would go steel. DO NOT COAT THE RUDDER. You want to be able to visualize any cracks that start to appear. Coating the rudder would hide those cracks. Steel rudders are fine if you maintenance them with scotch bright and WD40

Tell Kent I said Hi!

rightytighty

Reaction score
For a river boat, I would go stainless. The stainless gets polished, not chromed. All you have to do is look under and inspect for cracks. Once in a while, pull off and get it checked. Polished Stainless rudders pretty much require 0 maintenance. I've never had stainless rudders warp or bend on me, but that is not thrashing on the rudder.

For a race boat, I would go steel. DO NOT COAT THE RUDDER. You want to be able to visualize any cracks that start to appear. Coating the rudder would hide those cracks. Steel rudders are fine if you maintenance them with scotch bright and WD40

Tell Kent I said Hi!

Thanks and will do.