WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My baby went "poof"

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Hi gang, I haven't posted in a while, but 2 weeks ago up in the gorge I (and a couple IPA's) decided to take on a DCB f32. Here is the end result. Enjoy. IMG_2384.jpg IMG_2381.jpg IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2380.jpg

Jimmy

Reaction score
What was it? Big end let go?
That's no good.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
What was it? Big end let go?
That's no good.
Everyone has an opinion, mine is, water in the oil, and pushing her to hard for too, long. TCM says it was rod clearances were wrong, they know more than me, all I can say is I have been running that short block since 2009, if it was clearances, I just finally found the breaking point.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Is there much left of the bearing?
My guess is because of overloading/overheating the crank and causing a breakdown of the oil film... at a guess.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Is there much left of the bearing?
My guess is because of overloading/overheating the crank and causing a breakdown of the oil film... at a guess.
Hahahaha,,,bearing,,,we don't need no stinking bearing,,,lol, it evaporated,,,lol, look at #6 journal, it's gone thru super and complete meltdown. And that was a Callie's stealth 4.25 crank. Cylinders 2-7 where not far behind, look at how the rods are turning black going up the shaft. IMG_2389.jpg 1 and 8 looked ok.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion, mine is, water in the oil, and pushing her to hard for too, long. TCM says it was rod clearances were wrong, they know more than me, all I can say is I have been running that short block since 2009, if it was clearances, I just finally found the breaking point.

It would be possible to check clearances on any of the rod bearings that still remained, but doubt that was the issue if it ran that long (and hard). Water in the oil could have hurt, but how do the mains look? More like some kind of oil starvation or pressure issues I think, since the rod bearings get oil after the oil passes through the mains, and you have a number of black rods.

If that is a 502 block, it might be worth checking it out to see if it can be salvaged. I can see the "notches" in the bottom of the two cylinders, but can't see the rest.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
It would be possible to check clearances on any of the rod bearings that still remained, but doubt that was the issue if it ran that long (and hard). Water in the oil could have hurt, but how do the mains look? More like some kind of oil starvation or pressure issues I think, since the rod bearings get oil after the oil passes through the mains, and you have a number of black rods.

If that is a 502 block, it might be worth checking it out to see if it can be salvaged. I can see the "notches" in the bottom of the two cylinders, but can't see the rest.
All mains looked fine, only rod big ends smoked.
Bottom of 5&6 skirt is gone, 7&8 are not as bad, but toast, it's scrap, getting a new Merlin III with billitt splayed mains.
Basically TCM is building me their 825 with a Callie's magnum crank, and my Quadrotor, (509 cu in)I am going with a standard deck do to header fitment, intakmanifold, and sundeck height. I want them to do a 540 with it, but they only do 540's on tall-decks. They have build a lot of good motors, I will go with there expertise.

My bastardized 500efi is scrap from the heads down.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
All mains looked fine, only rod big ends smoked.
Bottom of 5&6 skirt is gone, 7&8 are not as bad, but toast, it's scrap, getting a new Merlin III with billitt splayed mains.
Basically TCM is building me their 825 with a Callie's magnum crank, and my Quadrotor, (509 cu in)I am going with a standard deck do to header fitment, intakmanifold, and sundeck height. I want them to do a 540 with it, but they only do 540's on tall-decks. They have build a lot of good motors, I will go with there expertise.

My bastardized 500efi is scrap from the heads down.

I didn't complete my thoughts in the other post, if the damage is not into the water jackets, your block might be something that someone else could use to build an engine with less power.

J.P.

Reaction score
Good looking motor, that looks to be more than 825hp.:thumbsup