WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

24ft daycruiser

hamrock428

Reaction score
Just looking for any info on this old cruiser I bought...it has Chrysler big block (I was told 440) but didn't think they made 440 in 1963. What were power options for Campbell In 63 and does anyone know how much these wood boat weight?

Attachments

• IMG_20161107_170127.jpg
    IMG_20161107_170127.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_2016-11-04-20-32-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-11-04-20-32-33.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 228

dave29

Reaction score
Try the Campbell owner association website. They keep pretty good track of boats and many of the members have been the club for 30 plus years.
Good luck!

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Hammock
I checked with my sources and they put that boat between 5500-6000lbs?? Maybe not much help?? When I rebuilt my 1974 24ft CC, I took it to a local truck scale to have it weighed. I think it was right around 5500lbs.

Cool side story about your new boat, A few years ago, I had just completed the restoration of my boat and had not quite figured out that new gas gauges in her, needless to say I ran her dry on the way back to town from Pirates. I had a boat full of people and was floating in the reeds waiting for a tow. The PO of that boat came by and thought to himself that a boat should really not be floating in the reeds and stopped to help. He ended up giving us a tow s/b on the river to the dredge where we hooked up with friends who had fuel for us. Woodpecker ran very well and pulled us like no big deal.

The PO would not take our offering of beers/waters or $$$ for the tow:thumbsup:thumbsup
I tracked him down later in the channel and insisted he let me buy him a beer. Nice guy with a cool family.:):)
rb

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Take a close up picture of the front of the engine, right where the top water outlet bolt hole of the block is and post it. I can tell you in one second whether it is a 383(b) or 440(rb). Low or High deck.

Could also be a 413 or 426(Wedge) if it is indeed a 63, no chance it is a 440 if it is a 63, no telling if it is the original motor/block.

I love me some big block Dodges. :)

I see the 760 on the side of your truck. Where are you located?

Brian

hamrock428

Reaction score
Take a close up picture of the front of the engine, right where the water outlet is and post it. I can tell you in one second whether it is a 383 or 440. Low or High deck.

Could also be a 413 if it is indeed a 63, no telling if it is the original motor.

Brian

I'm in canyon lake... Near lake Elsinore basically . I will get picture after work. I do know it has Chrysler marine manifolds and spears to be a factory marine motor

hamrock428

Reaction score
Hammock
I checked with my sources and they put that boat between 5500-6000lbs?? Maybe not much help?? When I rebuilt my 1974 24ft CC, I took it to a local truck scale to have it weighed. I think it was right around 5500lbs.

Cool side story about your new boat, A few years ago, I had just completed the restoration of my boat and had not quite figured out that new gas gauges in her, needless to say I ran her dry on the way back to town from Pirates. I had a boat full of people and was floating in the reeds waiting for a tow. The PO of that boat came by and thought to himself that a boat should really not be floating in the reeds and stopped to help. He ended up giving us a tow s/b on the river to the dredge where we hooked up with friends who had fuel for us. Woodpecker ran very well and pulled us like no big deal.

The PO would not take our offering of beers/waters or $$$ for the tow:thumbsup:thumbsup
I tracked him down later in the channel and insisted he let me buy him a beer. Nice guy with a cool family.:):)
rb

Great info... I'm guessing this one may even weigh more since its wooden, 24 went on to be most popular model but don't see many this style most seem to be like yours RB curious about the fiberglass as well almost seems like a heavy gelcoat. Thanks for the cool story

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm in canyon lake... Near lake Elsinore basically . I will get picture after work. I do know it has Chrysler marine manifolds and spears to be a factory marine motor

OK sounds good. I can come down if you need to and check it out on a weekend.

I have a friend that lives in CL. I like that clubhouse.

If it is indeed a 63 engine, I imagine it is either a 413 or 426. Unlikely it is anything else. I don't know of any other sizes installed in boats at that time.

The good news is finding out if it is a B or RB engine it is a one second decision. Exactly what size it is after that takes a little more looking but it is not impossible.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Hamrock
I tend to agree with you on the weight being heavier than a CC but I cant imagine it is significantly more (mine weighs a ton!!!) I will say that I love the look of your boat and it always reminds me of the lifeguard style boats LA and OC counties used. Very very cool. Hope to see you and your boat at one of the events.
rb

Great info... I'm guessing this one may even weigh more since its wooden, 24 went on to be most popular model but don't see many this style most seem to be like yours RB curious about the fiberglass as well almost seems like a heavy gelcoat. Thanks for the cool story

hamrock428

Reaction score
Take a close up picture of the front of the engine, right where the top water outlet bolt hole of the block is and post it. I can tell you in one second whether it is a 383(b) or 440(rb). Low or High deck.

Could also be a 413 or 426(Wedge) if it is indeed a 63, no chance it is a 440 if it is a 63, no telling if it is the original motor/block.

Brian

The guy I got the boat from said they went threw the motor and it had a cracked block. So I know block wasn't original. The casting number on intake manifold says it's 67-69 440. I can't see numbers on heads until removed the doghouse

Attachments

• IMG_20161108_163517.jpg
    IMG_20161108_163517.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20161108_163724.jpg
    IMG_20161108_163724.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20161108_163504.jpg
    IMG_20161108_163504.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 186

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The guy I got the boat from said they went threw the motor and it had a cracked block. So I know block wasn't original. The casting number on intake manifold says it's 67-69 440. I can't see numbers on heads until removed the doghouse

Well alright then.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Your boat was originally built for a friend and customer of mine, by the name of Fred Woods. Hence the name Woodpecker. It was originally a black boat with natural wood cabin and trim. It came with a 426 Chrysler, and that was replaced with the 440 in about 1980. It still was on the original wood trailer in the late 80's. Around 1985 Fred had the boat repaired and painted white with a blue cap and red pinstripe. Fred lived on Balboa Island, and used the boat in the ocean, and I went to Catalina a couple of times in the 70's on it. Fred also had a house at Temple Bar in Lake Mead where the boat spent most of its time. It was maintained with an open check book when Fred was alive. He passed away about 15 years ago at around 90 yrs. old.

hamrock428

Reaction score
Your boat was originally built for a friend and customer of mine, by the name of Fred Woods. Hence the name Woodpecker. It was originally a black boat with natural wood cabin and trim. It came with a 426 Chrysler, and that was replaced with the 440 in about 1980. It still was on the original wood trailer in the late 80's. Around 1985 Fred had the boat repaired and painted white with a blue cap and red pinstripe. Fred lived on Balboa Island, and used the boat in the ocean, and I went to Catalina a couple of times in the 70's on it. Fred also had a house at Temple Bar in Lake Mead where the boat spent most of its time. It was maintained with an open check book when Fred was alive. He passed away about 15 years ago at around 90 yrs. old.

Thats awsome ,thanks for the history lesson on the boat... Bet it look awsome in black with bare wood.

Big Crapolla

Lake Mead Bound
Reaction score
Thats awsome ,thanks for the history lesson on the boat... Bet it look awsome in black with bare wood.

Riverbottom, you're almost accurate. I'm Fred's brother in law. You are right on up until the very end. Fred was 75 when he died. He sold the boat about 10 - 15 years earlier to his best friend named Ray Matthisen, owner of Eaz-lift trailer hitches, who kept it at Lake Arrowhead. I helped him rebuild that motor once and I'm almost certain it was a Chrysler 440 marine engine. 330 HP.

Fred bought a Silverwing that he kept at Lakeshore trailer village at Mead.
I lost track of the Campbell after that so I really appreciate the update. I remember watching the total rebuild in the early 80's. I just sent the pictures to my sister, Fred's wife, who still lives on Balboa Island. It'll bring a tear of joy to see it.

Tom

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Man RDP has some far reach!

So cool to see history come together:thumbup:

Big Crapolla

Lake Mead Bound
Reaction score

hamrock428, before the boat was rebuilt and glassed over then changed to the white / blue color, it was a black and natural wood boat. The original name was "black bart". I'll try to get a picture of it and send it along. I can try to post it or send in an e mail / text if you'd like. After the rebuild, Fred changed it to "woodpecker" as his last name was Wood, and the boat was also wood.

Not sure about now, but it had 2 - 40 gallon saddle tanks, bench cockpit seating and if the engine cover could talk, we'd all be embarrassed. riverbottom is correct, the original trailer was wood also but the years were not kind to it so Fred bought a new steel trailer and I sold the wooden one for him to a guy who converted it to a box trailer.

Great boat. Let me know if I can give you any other information.

Tom

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Damn that Campbell was SWEET looking! Must have really turned a lot of heads back in the day...and dropped a lot of bikinis!

Rickybobby

Reaction score
These old girls may not be the fastest on the water but the stories they could tell!!!:p:p:p

Ham
There 3 major Campbell events of the year if you so desire to participate.
Klaus Klam Bake in Feb 17/18 (same weekend as the Rockabilly deal)
Spring Round Up in May 19/20/21
Regatta in September 22/23/24 (usually held the same weekend as the billy b deal at Pirates, I try to sneak over there to drool over the flatties!!!)

Send an email here to get on the mailing list (no spam just updates on Campbell events)
[email protected]