WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Great News!

Riley1

Reaction score
I applied to get into the Elevator trade 3 months ago. I heard there was over 1400 applicants. of the 1400 who tested, 900+ had interviews 2 weeks ago. They were expecting a list of over 750 people this time. I just found out last night that I am number 37 on that list :champagne:.

People I know in the trade tell me they think I could be working a new job in as early as a month. I am super stoked about this. I got into the trade back in 2007 when I got out of the Navy, but as we all know, shit kinda hit the fan around that time and I got let go. Went to school for a few years and settled into the job I have now and kinda forgot about the whole elevator thing. My current job is a Production Manager of a small company who makes hydraulic valves for Blow Out Preventer Controls, and with oil being low for the last 2 years, the company is not doing as well as I would like. I am really hoping this opportunity works out this time.

Oh, Trump beating Hillary last night was icing on the cake:thumbup:.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Congrats. MY friend, Jack Beckman used to work for Shindler.

riverroyal

Reaction score
not a easy union to get it in. Good news is you wont get dirty! The red carpet gets rolled out every time these guys hit the job! STOP everything!! Elevator workers are here! Youll see

kiethco

Reaction score
My son got picked up a year ago. he's stoked, loves loves the work. He goes to class every Monday night and is a proud union man. The pay is sick! It's a dangerous job but as stated, these guys are the shit on the jobsite. Mitsubishi came thru and cleaned out the bench recently, they're clamoring for new guys. A friend got #57 on the list this week.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I applied to get into the Elevator trade 3 months ago. I heard there was over 1400 applicants. of the 1400 who tested, 900+ had interviews 2 weeks ago. They were expecting a list of over 750 people this time. I just found out last night that I am number 37 on that list :champagne:.

People I know in the trade tell me they think I could be working a new job in as early as a month. I am super stoked about this. I got into the trade back in 2007 when I got out of the Navy, but as we all know, shit kinda hit the fan around that time and I got let go. Went to school for a few years and settled into the job I have now and kinda forgot about the whole elevator thing. My current job is a Production Manager of a small company who makes hydraulic valves for Blow Out Preventer Controls, and with oil being low for the last 2 years, the company is not doing as well as I would like. I am really hoping this opportunity works out this time.

Oh, Trump beating Hillary last night was icing on the cake:thumbup:.

Elevator union endorsed trump

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Oh, Trump beating Hillary last night was icing on the cake[emoji106].
Congrats! My brother just got in almost a year ago. He loves the work.
Elevator union endorsed trump
I did not know that. Pretty rare much of ANY unions go red.

Joker

Reaction score
Congratulations. An early Xmas present.[emoji106]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Congrats!! My brother works for Schindler. They've been rehabbing one of the big hotels in downtown LA for the last few months I believe. He loves the work.

Riley1

Reaction score
Found out this morning that I will be working at Otis. Drug test this afternoon and start most likely on Wednesday. 4 days off before I hit the ground running.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Found out this morning that I will be working at Otis. Drug test this afternoon and start most likely on Wednesday. 4 days off before I hit the ground running.
Congrats! It's an awesome feeling when you get that job that you know will help your happiness and make life just a touch easier.

Riley1

Reaction score
I haven't been able to post for a while, I've been real busy with work. Been working six days a week, 12 hours most days.

But, the new job is going great. My mechanic seems to be a real straight shooter and my wife and I are pretty happy with the outcome of this. Hopefully in a year or two she can quit working and stay at home with the kid.

redone76

Reaction score
Nice bud!! Where are you working? My brother is a mechanic with Otis and he's doing the new construction at LAX.

Riley1

Reaction score
I am working in Culver City. Had a safety meeting on Monday with the LAX guys. What's your brothers name?

Riley1

Reaction score
Nice! His name is Brian Chindlund. Tall ugly dude with a big ass beard

I know who he is. I worked a Saturday 2 weeks ago at LAX and saw him. I'm Dave Crew's new helper. He knows who Dave is.

redone76

Reaction score
I know who he is. I worked a Saturday 2 weeks ago at LAX and saw him. I'm Dave Crew's new helper. He knows who Dave is.

Cool man I'll let him know. You guys can bullshit about boats and the river. Make fun of his jet bote!

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I haven't been able to post for a while, I've been real busy with work. Been working six days a week, 12 hours most days.

But, the new job is going great. My mechanic seems to be a real straight shooter and my wife and I are pretty happy with the outcome of this. Hopefully in a year or two she can quit working and stay at home with the kid.

Belated congrats man. If I had a chance to do it again I would have forgone the carpenters union and tried to get in to the elevator constructors union. As I'm sure your aware, they are the highest paid trade on the job, in our area, work hours are 6:00am - 6:00pm, Monday through Thursday, 10 hour shifts only. There is no time and a half, just double time. Roof needs to be on, machine rooms built out and secured, safety curtains installed and barricades well past the curtains, power in place, guarantied staging area on a lower floor etc. NO ONE gets that kind of space or accommodations on large projects except for elevator installers. In the PNW ALL elevator companies are severely under staffed. It is not uncommon for our jobs (I work for a large union GC) to be held up by the lack of elevator work force. Elevator salesman promise the moon but fail miserably, consistently. On my last project, Kone had 7 elevators. They started installing 10 months before CoO and finished late. In that time period they lost 3 General Supts to OTIS. They lost 6 foreman to competitors in the local market as well. When it was all said and done the crews that finished were all from Wyoming or Tennessee.

My consistently best experiences with elevator installers has been with OTIS, but even then they work their guys way to many hours. Nice to hear the union is letting more people in, they need to.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Belated congrats man. If I had a chance to do it again I would have forgone the carpenters union and tried to get in to the elevator constructors union. As I'm sure your aware, they are the highest paid trade on the job, in our area, work hours are 6:00am - 6:00pm, Monday through Thursday, 10 hour shifts only. There is no time and a half, just double time. Roof needs to be on, machine rooms built out and secured, safety curtains installed and barricades well past the curtains, power in place, guarantied staging area on a lower floor etc. NO ONE gets that kind of space or accommodations on large projects except for elevator installers. In the PNW ALL elevator companies are severely under staffed. It is not uncommon for our jobs (I work for a large union GC) to be held up by the lack of elevator work force. Elevator salesman promise the moon but fail miserably, consistently. On my last project, Kone had 7 elevators. They started installing 10 months before CoO and finished late. In that time period they lost 3 General Supts to OTIS. They lost 6 foreman to competitors in the local market as well. When it was all said and done the crews that finished were all from Wyoming or Tennessee.

My consistently best experiences with elevator installers has been with OTIS, but even then they work their guys way to many hours. Nice to hear the union is letting more people in, they need to.

Ahhh Elevator trades....
The untouchables!

Its so different than the other building trades, highly specialized and more exclusive. So much hinges on the elevators when it comes to schedule.

Elevator contractors are the only trade that can pretty much hold the job hostage if they are having an issue, without much recourse by the GC. Most of the elevators themselves are proprietary and require only "that company" to perform the work. You got an OTIS elevator? OTIS is doing the work. OTIS giving you problems? Tough shit! OTIS is gonna do what OTIS is gonna do. Who else you gonna call - Nobody in this case. OTIS only has 2 guys available? Your getting 2 guys then, I know you need 10 but suck it up.

Elevators - The only trade with "fuck you" power!

If I was in the field again....I'd start over as an elevator mechanic too!

AJ13

Reaction score
Congrats. My father in law. Spent 35 years in the trade. He was the trouble shooter in the OC for 10 years. It's a great trade if the work is there.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Ahhh Elevator trades....
The untouchables!

Its so different than the other building trades, highly specialized and more exclusive. So much hinges on the elevators when it comes to schedule.

Elevator contractors are the only trade that can pretty much hold the job hostage if they are having an issue, without much recourse by the GC. Most of the elevators themselves are proprietary and require only "that company" to perform the work. You got an OTIS elevator? OTIS is doing the work. OTIS giving you problems? Tough shit! OTIS is gonna do what OTIS is gonna do. Who else you gonna call - Nobody in this case. OTIS only has 2 guys available? Your getting 2 guys then, I know you need 10 but suck it up.

Elevators - The only trade with "fuck you" power!

If I was in the field again....I'd start over as an elevator mechanic too!

First off have to say I love guys talking about a trade that they don't work in or have no idea about it but they think they do.
And as far as finishing jobs up late it was probably due to the contractor having put in a piss-poor hoistway or no power. Storage..once the equipment arrives on the job site you need to have it protected can't leave it outside.
So bottom line not always the elevator company's fault. Sometimes yes.
And yes there may be a little fuck you power..but without us all the fat ass lazy people will have to climb to stairs god for bid they should have to do that..

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
First off have to say I love guys talking about a trade that they don't work in or have no idea about it but they think they do.
And as far as finishing jobs up late it was probably due to the contractor having put in a piss-poor hoistway or no power. Storage..once the equipment arrives on the job site you need to have it protected can't leave it outside.
And yes there may be a little fuck you power..but without us all the fat ass lazy people will have to climb to stairs god for bid they should have to do that..

It's called a man lift [emoji848] and elevator guys are losing work to iron workers and millwrights because they can't keep up. We just talked about it at the itc. If there's work up for grabs we will take it [emoji4]fat ass lazy people? Like the elevator workers paid to sit on their ass and watch the carpenters work in their shafts for 12 hours? Lol cut it out. [emoji12] going up and down in a cart all day and you're gonna call someone else fat and lazy [emoji23]

robby dmax

Reaction score
It's called a man lift [emoji848] and elevator guys are losing work to iron workers and millwrights because they can't keep up. We just talked about it at the itc. If there's work up for grabs we will take it [emoji4]fat ass lazy people? Like the elevator workers paid to sit on their ass and watch the carpenters work in their shafts for 12 hours? Lol cut it out. [emoji12] going up and down in a cart all day and you're gonna call someone else fat and lazy [emoji23]
Gotta say Iove it on how you know more about the elevator trade then the people in it.. so you are now in the elevator trade? We have not lost anything to other trades.. and when the Carpenters or the drywallers are in the hatch we're helping you out.
So you are the one that needs to cut it out!!
And I am referring more to the public on the fat ass people that can't walk the stairs in an occupied building.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Gotta say Iove it on how you know more about the elevator trade then the people in it.. so you are now in the elevator trade? We have not lost anything to other trades.. and when the Carpenters or the drywallers are in the hatch we're helping you out.
So you are the one that needs to cut it out!!
And I am referring more to the public on the fat ass people that can't walk the stairs in an occupied building.

All I know is what I see. When to transformer blew in downtown la we needed to rebuild the damaged shafts. We could not be there without the elevator guy. He say for 12+ hours reading. Didn't help do anything. I've built a lot of shafts and I've never been helped by and elevator guy. Matter of fact my little brother is working in the shafts at Waldorf I'll ask how much help they've been [emoji12]. Sharpe is doing all the shafts at circa in downtown I'll ask if the elevator guys are helping [emoji4]

robby dmax

Reaction score
All I know is what I see. When to transformer blew in downtown la we needed to rebuild the damaged shafts. We could not be there without the elevator guy. He say for 12+ hours reading. Didn't help do anything. I've built a lot of shafts and I've never been helped by and elevator guy. Matter of fact my little brother is working in the shafts at Waldorf I'll ask how much help they've been [emoji12]. Sharpe is doing all the shafts at circa in downtown I'll ask if the elevator guys are helping [emoji4]
So you think you should be able to hop on the elevator and just take off on a joy ride to repair something without an elevator guy there??
I think you you to step back and look at the big picture..so what if the elevator has a shutdown you think you should be able to fix also?
There are people's lives at stake here.
Just what is it that you do on the shaft?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So you think you should be able to hop on the elevator and just take off on a joy ride to repair something without an elevator guy there??
I think you you to step back and look at the big picture..so what if the elevator has a shutdown you think you should be able to fix also?
There are people's lives at stake here.
Just what is it that you do on the shaft?

There was no elevator running. There was s scaffold built in it. Re framed the shaft wall and re hung core board.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Question. Say something did go sideways... what would that guy there do? Serious question help me understand

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I did flooring in both Sears and Hancock buildings Downtown. Thanks Elevator guys. There is no way I could carry a 50 lbs. toolbox let alone 2k+ of Tile/carpet and supplies 100 + floors. :)

robby dmax

Reaction score
So there was just Scaffolding in the Hoistway and no Elevator Parts?

robby dmax

Reaction score
I did flooring in both Sears and Hancock buildings Downtown. Thanks Elevator guys. There is no way I could carry a 50 lbs. toolbox let alone 2k+ of Tile/carpet and supplies 100 + floors. :)
Most of us will help people out after the man lift has be removed

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

For the record - it was In good jest, but also from 15 years in the trades and 10 years of running large commercial projects.

I've hired OTIS as a subcontractor, been there, done that. Work came out great, but it's different than having a tile sub, or a flooring sub, etc. I'm not saying OTIS is better or worse than Kone or anyone else - it's just the nature of that industry. There is fuck-you power in play. I can't pull an elevator contractors scope and give it to another outfit for to complete for non-performance.....pretty much impossible. That's obviously the last resort for anyone, but it's not even an option with elevator scope usually due to project specs.
The scope is directly tied to receiving occupancy certs and is a major schedule killer when it's not going as planned. It's a different animal than the other trades

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

The elevator guy isn't there to do the framers work. That's a bad example lol

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The elevator guy isn't there to do the framers work. That's a bad example lol

I know they aren't. That's why I thought it was funny to read that they help us out when we are in there. I think it's a great trade I've said it several times. And there's lots of perks. I'm my no means hating but I'll call it like I see it. And I don't think I need to be in that trade to make observations.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Congrats! My brother just got in almost a year ago. He loves the work.

I did not know that. Pretty rare much of ANY unions go red.

Not true . Pissed me off howith much money was spent to be told to vote democrate

Riley1

Reaction score
Well, 4-1/2 years ago I switched careers and started an apprenticeship in the Elevator trade. Today my Apprenticeship is over. I took my mechanics exam yesterday and found out today that I passed. I’m pretty stoked to be finished with school. The pay raise is also welcomed.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Climbing the corporate elevator shaft…I love it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro