WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wood grain on hull

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Is there any replacement for the wood grain sticker that goes below the windshield? If not exact is there anything people would considered acceptable?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Not a sticker its actually glass cloth that is laid in the mold. I believe the name was percalon (?) there are a few rolls out there but people are hording them. The owner of competitive trailer had a 69 Sanger that was a trash box for years, he decided to have a wood deck put on it and have Ken Meyers of B&K boats do the finish work, Ken used the wood grain cloth on the stringers, everyone thinks it the actual grain of the wood...oops maybe that was a secret :) The stuff is cool and everyone used it n the 70's

Rickybobby

Reaction score
They haven't made Pacalon in a very long time and unless you can find some hidden away in the back of the boat shop your out of luck but, take a look at this stuff
http://stealthveils.com/woodgrains.html

There used to be a site called printed veil.com but I read somewhere they had a fire in the facility and set them way back???

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
They haven't made Pacalon in a very long time and unless you can find some hidden away in the back of the boat shop your out of luck but, take a look at this stuff

There used to be a site called printed veil.com but I read somewhere they had a fire in the facility and set them way back???
I'm still trying to figure out what this really is

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Not a sticker its actually glass cloth that is laid in the mold. I believe the name was percalon (?) there are a few rolls out there but people are hording them. The owner of competitive trailer had a 69 Sanger that was a trash box for years, he decided to have a wood deck put on it and have Ken Meyers of B&K boats do the finish work, Ken used the wood grain cloth on the stringers, everyone thinks it the actual grain of the wood...oops maybe that was a secret :) The stuff is cool and everyone used it n the 70's

Correct pacalon was a fiberglass mat that had a wood grain print. When I had my spectra the guy who did the gel had some, unfortunately he passed a few years ago. I always had wondered when it will make a comeback since everything dies come full circle. Seems with today's technology it would be easy to produce the product.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what this really is

Although I have not personally used this "veil" stuff, it seems to be the closest thing to pacalon that I could find (printed woodgrain on fiberglass sheets) Its used in construction to simulate wood (kinda of like they did on our old boats back in the day???)
I went looking for this stuff to redo the wood like material on my boat (haven't pulled the trigger yet)

But..... a guy who is on here sometimes just had his Campbell redone by a shop in Santa Clarita. The shop he used has a "secret" process to get the woodgrain look??? I have his number if you are interested. Check out the rebuild of his boat

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/foru...r-Happy-Hour-going-in-for-a-complete-makeover

SpectraPat

Reaction score
I have done some research using 3m wood grain vinyl wrap and several company's that do vehicle wraps say in can be done and then shot with a coat of clear. Something to consider.

guest hs

Reaction score
My wife and son want me to gel over the pacalon on my boat ugh!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 157

old rigger

Reaction score

After reading the product description and installation instructions, this is exactly the same method as using pacalon back in the day. The pacalon was a cloth, not a mat and could be backed up by any color gel you chose as the buyer to simulate what kind of wood you like, walnut, mahogany etc. It was wafer thin.

Sal down at Orange County Boat repair still has Pacalon and can make repairs with it. Very labor intensive doing the process backwards though. Ive also seen him use an unbelievably thin wood veneer to make these repairs, in fact i saw him do a entire 'glass deck in this veneer to give the boat a wood deck look.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
At some point I would like to put it back on mine.