WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Manx build questions...

RaceTec

Reaction score
I am getting a roller started and wanted your opinions on a couple things...
Mostly street with some off-road, full length pan, 3" body lift, IRS, 1915cc to start... In the long run it will get a new trans and probably something like an ecoboost...

1. What do you buggy guys think about 30"x 9.5" on 15" x 7" all of the way around, will it look funny? I was just thinking the 4 plus the spare being the same size would be easier?
2. Thinking about mid travel, doing 3X3 arms and a 6" over beam with coil overs all of the way around, will that be decent for the street and a little off-road? Or should I save more and do an a-arm conversion?

Any other suggestions?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Make sure you run a 3 rib, or better, 5 rib bus 002 trans and T2 CVs, or better, if you can stomach the price.

3x arms like you said

6 wide beam will be gnarly on the street, it will need a cage so the front end doesn't end up bent.

You know the differences between the chassis right?

Mid/long travel a arms will be "wonky" on the street/freeway

Brian

Mostly street with some off-road, full length pan, 3" body lift, IRS, 1915cc to start... In the long run it will get a new trans and probably something like an ecoboost...

1. What do you buggy guys think about 30"x 9.5" on 15" x 7" all of the way around, will it look funny? I was just thinking the 4 plus the spare being the same size would be easier?
2. Thinking about mid travel, doing 3X3 arms and a 6" over beam with coil overs all of the way around, will that be decent for the street and a little off-road? Or should I save more and do an a-arm conversion?

Any other suggestions?

RaceTec

Reaction score
Make sure you run a 3 rib, or better, 5 rib bus 002 trans and T2 CVs, or better, if you can stomach the price.

3x arms like you said

6 wide beam will be gnarly on the street, it will need a cage so the front end doesn't end up bent.

You know the differences between the chassis right?

Mid/long travel a arms will be "wonky" on the street/freeway

Brian

Thanks Brian, I am kind of learning as I go here...

The plan is to cage the whole thing pretty much from the get go, that is why I am asking about the suspension... So a beam will be better all around?
What differences in the chassis are you referring to?

Already looking for a 5 rib... The plan was to get it running basically stock then do the upgrades as time and money allow...

Thanks again for your input, I have been reading up a bunch but you guys usually have a bunch of experience!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Because no chassis will have all that you want stock, since there isn't a chassis with a link pin and IRS. Personally I would look for a mid 60s chassis, that has a link front and put IRS in it.

If you are switching to A arm, then it doesn't matter, just need to worry about smog laws on whatever chassis you use. I am not sure what the exempt year is now. When I built my car the cutoff was '66. I have a 65.

If smog laws moved up, AND you are using a arms, then I would go with a 68(beam, not strut) chassis since the IRS mounts will be in the chassis already.

In my opinion, A arms are just wonky on the street with big travel. Kinda floaty if that makes sense. A bury a body buddy has a monster manx and on the street it is a handful to drive at speed.

If you end up with a link pin chassis then I have a better idea on adding the IRS mounts in the rear.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I am kind of learning as I go here...

The plan is to cage the whole thing pretty much from the get go, that is why I am asking about the suspension... So a beam will be better all around?
What differences in the chassis are you referring to?

Already looking for a 5 rib... The plan was to get it running basically stock then do the upgrades as time and money allow...

Thanks again for your input, I have been reading up a bunch but you guys usually have a bunch of experience!

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Any other suggestions?

Who's kit are you running?
If it's a Meyers kit maybe call Brad at Turnkey Manx.
The dude is a Manx nut.

He's been running Subaru engines, and trans too I believe. I think he told me there's a way to flip the pinion gear or something to make it work.
He redoes the wiring harness himself and the car he was working on when I saw him (about a year? ago) he was going to run the non turbo subie/5speed combo. I think he said 160? 170? Hp. But stone axe reliable, regular gas, no drama.

If you're familiar with it he ended up with Bruce's silver Manx 2+2 to toy around in.
It has a 300ish hp Subaru turbo with a vw trans. Bruce gave me a ride in that car a few years ago, it was impressive as hell. Handled well on the turns too, considering the 31 inch bfg's on it and higher height.

Post pics of what you're working with:thumbsup

RaceTec

Reaction score
First off thanks Brian and Gelcoater!
It is a ball joint pan. Sorry, I thought that there was something that I was missing. The plan is a three stage build. The plan is to run it as is with no cage while I gather the front and rear suspension parts. The next stage is getting the steel beam adapter and welding it to the ball joint front and then adding the new beam and building the cage front to back at the same time. That way I can build the beam into the cage and build the rear shock mounts and stuff for the rear suspension at the same time. That will push the beam forward about two inches and secure it both ways to the pan. I will then probably run that while I then gather a new engine and Trans. Not sure what I will be able to find engine wise, but that will dictate what transmission I go for. I am getting the pan and basics from vic's neighbor for a smoking deal and finishing it myself. I am searching for mostly used parts if I can to save money and I figure this will give me a great project with my three kids. It is a Manx man full length body.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
First off thanks Brian and Gelcoater!
It is a ball joint pan. Sorry, I thought that there was something that I was missing. The plan is a three stage build. The plan is to run it as is with no cage while I gather the front and rear suspension parts. The next stage is getting the steel beam adapter and welding it to the ball joint front and then adding the new beam and building the cage front to back at the same time. That way I can build the beam into the cage and build the rear shock mounts and stuff for the rear suspension at the same time. That will push the beam forward about two inches and secure it both ways to the pan. I will then probably run that while I then gather a new engine and Trans. Not sure what I will be able to find engine wise, but that will dictate what transmission I go for. I am getting the pan and basics from vic's neighbor for a smoking deal and finishing it myself. I am searching for mostly used parts if I can to save money and I figure this will give me a great project with my three kids. It is a Manx man full length body.

I would be careful with no cage to support that wide of a beam. I may be in the minority. I've never seen the ball joint to link front adapter.

So you are planning to put the body on and run it with the stock ball joint IRS? YOU CAN "cut and turn" the front beam for now to slightly raise and stiffen the front. Cost you less than $100, the rear preload can be increased easily for no money. I can help out with either if you like.

pipemn

Reaction score
My wife manx matching your description and it drives fine on street IMG_1194.jpg IMG_1198.jpg IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1197.jpg

091 box, 2332motor,it does have tube frame mated to pan.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
My wife manx matching your description and it drives fine on street

Yep, nice looking.

That is xactly what I am suggesting. Mid travel beam car.

RaceTec

Reaction score
My wife manx matching your description and it drives fine on street
Pipemn, that is exactly where I want to end up! Brian, sorry for the confusion, I will only be driving it with the stock suspension with no cage while I gather parts. As soon as I have all of the parts I will install them at the same time as I cage it. So the wider beam will be completely tied in at that point. I won't need the adapter but I just figured it would be another point of attachment for the beam along with the cage? 6339425.jpg

RaceTec

Reaction score
Pipemn, what size wheels and tires are you running?

Thanks again for all of your help guys!

pipemn

Reaction score
33 x10.50-15R Bfg T/A. Any questions pm me

Wheels 5" wide I will have to check backspace?

UltraLucky

Reaction score
I would not waste your money on those adapters. When it comes time to build the cage and install the wider beam you will probably want to cut the front pan head off as it will be in the way of the steering rack and tie rods. That will also allow you to extend the beam further out and down if you want more travel. Are you using the standard long body Manx or the mid travel version?

pipemn

Reaction score
I totally agree with ultralucky that is exactly how mine is,but it would depend on what your body length preference and wheel base would be.

RaceTec

Reaction score
It is a full length body, and from what you guys have said and what I have researched I will probably just cut the front off when I cage it and install the beam or a-arm setup... Pipemn how does that a-arm setup handle on the street?

pipemn

Reaction score
It actually drives fine my wife drives it all the time,but it is a 6" wide beam not a-arms.Pan is cut off at pedal mount and tubed from there plus lengthened about 6" as I remember.I am on the road now but I try and post some pics of that area.Also the frame in that area runs clear to back of car,and ties into cage area.I post some pics.

RaceTec

Reaction score
It actually drives fine my wife drives it all the time,but it is a 6" wide beam not a-arms.Pan is cut off at pedal mount and tubed from there plus lengthened about 6" as I remember.I am on the road now but I try and post some pics of that area.Also the frame in that area runs clear to back of car,and ties into cage area.I post some pics.

Oh sorry, i got yours confused with one on Samba that I had asked about... If you get a chance can you post some pictures...

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Unless you are planning on a hydraulic clutch, check the bowden tube for the clutch cable to make sure it is attached and in good shape while your pan is torn down that far.

Replace the fuel line with at least a 3/8 ID tube.

Brian

RaceTec

Reaction score
Unless you are planning on a hydraulic clutch, check the bowden tube for the clutch cable to make sure it is attached and in good shape while your pan is torn down that far.

Brian

Thanks Brian!
I am sure I will be picking your brain more as this project progresses!

RaceTec

Reaction score
New bowden tube and new fuel line, basically everything is going to be new but the tunnel...
Issac is doing all of the ground work for me, then it will be my turn to get crazy fabricating and building the rest...

I will go with hydraulic when I swap out the trans and stuff in the future...

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
New bowden tube and new fuel line, basically everything is going to be new but the tunnel...
Issac is doing all of the ground work for me, then it will be my turn to get crazy fabricating and building the rest...

I will go with hydraulic when I swap out the trans and stuff in the future...

Nice.

Good man.

See all the things I learned the hard way, you get for free. :)

UltraLucky

Reaction score

Brian

And the shift rod bushing, those are a pain to try to replace when it is all together.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
And the shift rod bushing, those are a pain to try to replace when it is all together.

easy job.

But certainly that too. I figured that one went unsaid, the others, no one thinks of sometimes.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My FRP is in the final stages of its build. 2.5turbo subie. Mine is the mid-travel body, deeper and wider body than Scotts full length body.
I did beam front end since I'll be using it more on street than offroad. With A-arms you get a lot of body roll in turns.
Started project in 2011 but sat for 5 years due to other priorities.
uploadfromtaptalk1488570317347.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1488570324575.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1488570360349.jpg

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
My FRP is in the final stages of its build. 2.5turbo subie. Mine is the mid-travel body, deeper and wider body than Scotts full length body.
I did beam front end since I'll be using it more on street than offroad. With A-arms you get a lot of body roll in turns.
Started project in 2011 but sat for 5 years due to other priorities.
View attachment 543550 View attachment 543551 View attachment 543552

Coming together nicely Zig. When the anticipated finish date?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Coming together nicely Zig. When the anticipated finish date?
What I hope is a few weeks will more likely be a month+.[emoji22] [emoji23]
Helped him trace a few electrical ghosts last weekend. Dash is fully done and wired now too. This weekend he's on the 3 day booze cruise to Ensenada.
Has to modify radiator in and outlets still and a few details on engine still need to be done. Intake manifold is put on backwards to fit car right so throttle linkage and a couple other little mods are still necessary.
Wire harness has been a huge job. Added electric power steering, heated seats[emoji1] [emoji41]

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Any other suggestions?
Drove my FRP Manx home this weekend[finally!]. Mid travel version.
20170423_152240.jpg

RaceTec

Reaction score
The project is starting to get a little more crazy than I expected now that I am talking to people and collecting parts... So far Dave Brown 5X5 arms with 4" lift built in, front is possibly going to be a-arm. Looks like I am getting a little help from some friends like Gray Area http://www.gryarea.com/ so I will be going with their micro stub and 2" hollow spindle setup with 4 piston calipers all of the way around... Still figuring out what engine and more than likely weddle 5 speed...
GAT1208smaller.jpg
GAT1209_1.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The project is starting to get a little more crazy than I expected now that I am talking to people and collecting parts... So far Dave Brown 5X5 arms with 4" lift built in, front is possibly going to be a-arm. Looks like I am getting a little help from some friends like Gray Area http://www.gryarea.com/ so I will be going with their micro stub and 2" hollow spindle setup with 4 piston calipers all of the way around... Still figuring out what engine and more than likely weddle 5 speed...

You do realize that is enough piston area to stop a 4000lb car effectively, right?

You are a nut. Looks nice though.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Yeah, but I figured better go overboard with the brakes because I have a couple deals on engines floating around that will up the weight and HP significantly... :eek
I am currently drawing up a boxed fabricated chassis for it now that i will have laser cut and start piecing together...

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yeah, but I figured better go overboard with the brakes because I have a couple deals on engines floating around that will up the weight and HP significantly... :eek
I am currently drawing up a boxed fabricated chassis for it now that i will have laser cut and start piecing together...

Or skid its way, right into a wall.

Front disks maybe, 4W? not a chance. 4 piston is just too much.

Mine has 4wdrums and it will put you thru the windshield.

Look at some curbweights of some dressed bajas before you do that.

V8, tube chassis, long travel and huge tires all around, maybe, otherwise, I think that will be a letdown, maybe even dangerous.

RaceTec

Reaction score
So as many of you know I got a divorce and sold my last Manx to pay for my stepsons football... Well the house is sold I am single and other than RaceTec have nothing going on... So I started a new build... This one is going to start off more crazy than the last one! This one is a wide mid travel body, so no body lift...
Body before polish.jpg

RaceTec

Reaction score
I am going to throw a bunch of pictures and updates up real quick here... So these are 5X5 with a 4" lift built in... After these pictures, they were shot peened and coated...
_20170628_175741.JPG

RaceTec

Reaction score
A-arm
Boxed Lower Arm.jpg

Attachments

• Front A Arms.jpg
    Front A Arms.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 249

RaceTec

Reaction score
Becoming a reality... Most everything that is welded has been shot peened and coated...
20180715_124638.jpg
20180715_140214.jpg

Last edited:

RaceTec

Reaction score
Boxed arms
20180609_062129.png

Attachments

• FOX FRONT.jpg
    FOX FRONT.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Front1.jpg
    Front1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 264

RaceTec

Reaction score
Engine... Came in looking pretty rough... It is an all aluminum L33, there are a few reasons I searched this engine out...
20180620_104554.jpg