WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pomona boat show

CobraDave

Reaction score
Another thing. Hallet. There was an open bow walk through 255 there. The windshields are just hideous to me. Too tall and round to me. The interior was awesome though and I've always loved their seats. IMG_4318.jpg IMG_4320.jpg
Excuse my dad....

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
It isnt really hard to figure out what happened.

Hats off to the guys going, I admire the hell out the ability to spend like that with minimal to no ROI.

If anyone wants this event to return to its glory days, the ones that need to "step up" are the buyers.

The content fading away didnt happen overnight - The industry turned out boats for these shows for years while no one actually bought anything, More than once I'd head out to see friends that worked at various places surrounded by millions in hardware and the shows isles were like bowling alleys.

Both the industry and the show themselves changed, the promoters stopped getting builders in and concentrated on ginsu knives and wonder wax, jet skis, see doos and Yamaha boats and the big companies like that jacked the prices up, and pushed the smaller builders out.

It costs a fortune to build a new boat for the show(and risk it selling), pay for the spaces,parking, salaries, get bent over for carpet and lights by the unions, and then the customers don't show up.

Want to know if someones in business these days? A websites a good indicator.

The ROI simply isn't there anymore, I can assure you it isn't about being "lazy."

Curious, how many boats did you buy at boats shows since the 2000's ?

Nothing will turn this around quicker than people spending money.

UD

The internet killed the boat shows....

You can do all the research and look at a ton of photos online from the comfort of your home while saving $15 per beer and not having to get reemed on parking and entry fees.

The deals at the show are nothing special and anyone with some negotiation skill could get he same deal any day of the week.

The Havasu show is more fun and has a better feel as does the desert storm street show. I would invest marketing budget there or here on rdp as I think you would see much better returns.

Honestly if you want to move boats talk to Dave and have him do a rdp spec'd boat at a great price. Have a thread started with no hassle great deal like Nordic and Howard have done in the past.

There are a lot of people that spend $$$ advertising here and then waste the opportunity. They don't offer specials, group buys or even post in there section...I just don't get it.

At least you guys are trying something with the rzr products and offering a rdp discount[emoji106][emoji41]

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Another thing. Hallet. There was an open bow walk through 255 there. The windshields are just hideous to me. Too tall and round to me. The interior was awesome though and I've always loved their seats. View attachment 533373 View attachment 533374
Excuse my dad....

Was at Hallett last week. The round windshields are awful. Jerry has a problem taking feedback from actual boaters. The 24 looked so much better.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Lots of traffic today. Not a lot of accessory type stuff which i was hoping for.

I really liked the interceptor deck boat looked really cool and was huge inside.

From what i saw hallet nordic and shockwave all had a lot of traffic today hope they all sell a couple boats....

The on deck 22 shockwave was badass. Whos boat is that?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
The eliminator shop was awesome. Shueman gave us a tour and got to see gelcoater at work. The new fundeck with the hardtop is badass and the 28 speedster that got the deck cutout was badass as well!

Thanks shue!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hit the boat show with the fam this afternoon. Had a great time, yes it was small but still was fun and killed a few hours. Picked up some hot sauce, thanks Zack and a few of the danik hooks.

Did see some people filling out papers at the Hallett booth and over heard someone at shockwave saying it was pretty good today. Hopefully everyone is making sales.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 43

4Waters

Reaction score
You will use both danik hooks, I use one on the anchor and the other on the shore spike easily adjustable. My friend bought the plastic ones they didn't make it the summer they are best used on pwc.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I did like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 38

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You will use both danik hooks, I use one on the anchor and the other on the shore spike easily adjustable. My friend bought the plastic ones they didn't make it the summer they are best used on pwc.

I hve a stainless one, but haven't used it yet. This time I picked up the plastic ones. They said it was strong enough to anchore most boats in lakes. They also said it will fade some but won't get brittle. Will see

4Waters

Reaction score
The thing I see at the lake is that people do not tied a knot at the end about 6 inches from the end, if you don't have a knot you could loose the anchor when letting line out.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It isnt really hard to figure out what happened.

Hats off to the guys going, I admire the hell out the ability to spend like that with minimal to no ROI.

If anyone wants this event to return to its glory days, the ones that need to "step up" are the buyers.

The content fading away didnt happen overnight - The industry turned out boats for these shows for years while no one actually bought anything, More than once I'd head out to see friends that worked at various places surrounded by millions in hardware and the shows isles were like bowling alleys.

Both the industry and the show themselves changed, the promoters stopped getting builders in and concentrated on ginsu knives and wonder wax, jet skis, see doos and Yamaha boats and the big companies like that jacked the prices up, and pushed the smaller builders out.

It costs a fortune to build a new boat for the show(and risk it selling), pay for the spaces,parking, salaries, get bent over for carpet and lights by the unions, and then the customers don't show up.

Want to know if someones in business these days? A websites a good indicator.

The ROI simply isn't there anymore, I can assure you it isn't about being "lazy."

Curious, how many boats did you buy at boats shows since the 2000's ?

Nothing will turn this around quicker than people spending money.

UD
:thumbsup
About as accurate as could be.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The eliminator shop was awesome. Shueman gave us a tour and got to see gelcoater at work. The new fundeck with the hardtop is badass and the 28 speedster that got the deck cutout was badass as well!

Thanks shue!

Good meeting you and your dad today, Dirtbag. Although brief. Working...in the zone...not a multi-tasker. Lol.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Good meeting you and your dad today, Dirtbag. Although brief. Working...in the zone...not a multi-tasker. Lol.

no doubt man...love watching you guys work...its absolutely amazing how you do what you do!

Goodtime$

Reaction score
IMG_5374.jpg
IMG_5371.jpg
IMG_5367.jpg
IMG_5363.jpg

Its not all doom and gloom for the boat show. We decided to do the show for the simple reason I have a 21 Skier in stock and we wanted to show the 23 Placecraft deck is being built again. If we as MFG do not do shows and bring different stuff, then the general public will only see DCB and Howard deckboats in magazines with really big price tags. Today we sold the 21 Skier to a nice family with young kids and that is ultimate goal with 21s is to get new people into custom boats.

I left the Placecraft logo on the boat because it is in the mold, and Ron is a cool old dude and was very happy to see it still going. If you would like it removed, it will be done on your boat. Its a custom boat.

As for as ROI? I want to just charge forward and keep building some 21s and they only way to do that is find new people who may be looking at bayliner, yamaha or a pontoon. The best way to find them is at a boat show.

I still have no clue why they could not combine all the custom boat builders together. My 2 cents.

shueman

Reaction score
"Back In the Day" the LA Boat Show was put together by the SCMA and all the MFG / Vendors had input on the show's production and we're part of the committee ... not so since maybe 2009-10 I believe ...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
"Back In the Day" the LA Boat Show was put together by the SCMA and all the MFG / Vendors had input on the show's production and we're part of the committee ... not so since maybe 2009-10 I believe ...

Sell any boats yesterday? Seems like if you made a sale or two you didn't do too bad. I would like to see all the custom builders get back into the show but I get it. Personally I go to look I don't go to buy. Same w fun shows. I have what I want but I like looking and getting ideas

Wakebrdr94

Reaction score
It was packed yesterday. At least in the Main building it was crazy. Not sure abou the other buildings, but we certainly felt understaffed with the amount of traffic that was going through..

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Thanks to all the RDP members that visited the Boat Bling booth yesterday! Got to meet a lot of new folks and catch up with several returning visitors. Sorry if we were brief but there was a several hour run Saturday when we were consistently 4-5 deep with customers. Finally got to choke down 1/2 a sandwich around 4 lol.

Can't express how appreciative we are for your business and continued support! Have to run and prep for today but will follow up later with my thoughts on this year's show.

-Zack

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I've always been torn about going to boat shows, mainly because I realize the boat builders are there to sell boats & make money, but I'm only there only to look at all the cool boats & can't afford any of them, so I try to keep to myself & to not ask them questions, because I would feel like I'm wasting their time. I kind of feel the same way about driving down to Eliminator, because I realize it's a place of business, so idk if I really need to go down there, unless I'm actually interested in purchasing a new or pre-owned boat? Idk, but if I could afford one & was in the market, I would love to see that RPM 26 up close & find out the pricing with a more mild 525EFI or 565 Mercury/Bravo XR pkg. That boat looks so nice.:thumbup:

I feel the same way. Would love to see eliminator, but can't afford them so won't go to their shop to look. But at a show I would. But wouldn't talk to anyone cause I'm not a buyer. I feel a lot of people do blow smoke at builders at shows that are actually not looking to buy but just want to talk the game.

I did hear some people talking that the RPM boat was going to be priced about 115k with blue merc power ( thought they said 600) I felt it was low and not true but I didn't talk to anyone at the booth so cannot confirm.

If you we're in building 4 you had the crowds, that hall was packed. Hallett's booth was busy with what seem an older clientail. Does that mean more solid buyers? Who knows. Shockwave had a busy booth for not being in the main hall as I'm calling it. Their boat show really nice, I like the 25 tremor open bow walk through they have.

Ineceptor had a good crowd, I think their stuff look decent. Not sure how old/new they are but their boats do look nice. One of the reps said the deck boat was an old Bob lech mold. I don't know. But did see some flaws in the in gel as far as tape lines. But I liked the overall layout of it.

Overall boats are expensive. Anything of size is going to cost. 26' Toons with dual 300's was 162k (show price) 27' defiance cuddy fishing boat with dual 250's I think was 160/170k. These prices are posted on boats, hard to compare custom builders cause they are not posting pricing.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
I've always been torn about going to boat shows, mainly because I realize the boat builders are there to sell boats & make money, but I'm only there only to look at all the cool boats & can't afford any of them, so I try to keep to myself & to not ask them questions, because I would feel like I'm wasting their time. I kind of feel the same way about driving down to Eliminator, because I realize it's a place of business, so idk if I really need to go down there, unless I'm actually interested in purchasing a new or pre-owned boat? Idk, but if I could afford one & was in the market, I would love to see that RPM 26 up close & find out the pricing with a more mild 525EFI or 565 Mercury/Bravo XR pkg. That boat looks so nice.:thumbup:

I talked with Joe yesterday and he's working on a deal with Laveycraft to build them and I think he said 85 un rigged no power. 105 with a 502 H0. Not sure if that's with a trailer or not. I'm defiantly interested. He's sending me some pricing.

cb5505

Reaction score

I spoke with the guy from RPM, he seems like a stand up guy.he did tell me they are working on a open bow for the 26 and roughly for the 520 your looking at 125. he said the 520 can hit 90mph in perfect conditions. I also talked to the guys at shockwave. The guys at shockwave seem like stand up guys and has given me a lot to think about.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Besides the line to get in I thought it was a unique day . Would of been nice to see more vendors of product . I had a few hundred to spend on stupid 20 dollar items ,shirts,hats , that kind of crap .I think the shows are good because I was not a boat buyer yesterday I had a chance to walk on and compare different style of boats and check pricing . It's tough for young people to get in the boating game with things starting at 100 k . I'm glad we are still happy with what we have . All and all I thought it was a decent show . Way better than last year .

Taboma

Reaction score

Mr. PokerRun388, these boat shows depend on attendance to exist. If they were solely dependent on those currently looking to purchase there wouldn't be any.
I always attend the Big Boat in the water shows in San Diego, 90% of those boats I can't or shouldn't afford as are 90% of the other folks crowding the docks. If those shows were limited to active buyers they wouldn't exist.

You're paying for parking and admittance, just like going to the movies, it's entertainment. You spend the day dreaming "What If", we even find ourselves at times motivated to sell everything and sail off into the sunset, for the day we're vicariously rich fucks :D

Isn't that what entertainment is all about ??

What I don't understand is, why somebody hasn't PMed you with a lucrative job offer in this business :headscratch:

It's obvious as hell, at least to me, you're more knowledgeable than the vast majority of the boat sales folks I've ever encountered :thumbup:

Pelon

Reaction score
It was packed yesterday. At least in the Main building it was crazy. Not sure abou the other buildings, but we certainly felt understaffed with the amount of traffic that was going through..

You were not the only one understaffed. It was good to have the show close to home. Haven't been in a few years. Hope they come back next year. We bought a new ski at the wake sports booth. They seemed to be doing a brisk business!

boat show.jpg

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Was it your booth yesterday where the 14 yr old kid jumped in the driver seat and started the boat! [emoji23] I happened to be standing right behind it and scared the shit out of me!

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Side note...still can't wrap my head around the 26 Mastercraft with a $250k pricetag???

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I still have no clue why they could not combine all the custom boat builders together. My 2 cents.

aside from the no accessory vendors this was my biggest gripe....there was plenty of room to have tahiti adrenaline interceptor nordia hallet rpm and shockwave all in the same room....could call it the custom boat section and it woulda been great

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I spoke with the guy from RPM, he seems like a stand up guy.he did tell me they are working on a open bow for the 26 and roughly for the 520 your looking at 125. he said the 520 can hit 90mph in perfect conditions. I also talked to the guys at shockwave. The guys at shockwave seem like stand up guys and has given me a lot to think about.

after having my boat built by shockwave all i can tell you is they take care of their customers. Bob and Jen are just amazing. The guys in the shop are outstanding. I highly suggest going by the shop and see it in action. Bob will be there and really give you the whole rundown. Awesome company so far.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
From a customer standpoint this makes total sense.

From the exhibitors standpoint thats the last thing they want.

If you can see all the stuff you want in one hall how does the guy selling (whatever you arent interested in ) in the furthest empty hall guaranteed to get any foot traffic?

UD

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I did want to point out to the guys who are worried because they arent buyers that they shouldnt goto shows or talk to manufacturers. How else can you learn?? Its one thing to listen to all the opinion of the RDP guys its completely different to hear it from the mouths of the guys building the boats.

Id give the LA Boatshow a B grade. Lots of stuff to improve on but also had some exciting new stuff. Biggest gripe not enough guys like boat bling and ao coolers and gator step....need more of the little stuff. I had a bunch of money to spend and my wallet stayed in my pants.....Although im buying a bunch of the boatbling product after meeting zach( i didnt want to carry it home with me from the show haha).

The highlight of my day was going to eliminator. Shue gave me and pops a tour of the facility. Got to see Gelcoater at work. The paint guys were spraying a boat. The boats in the shop were amazing. Seeing the cutout 28 speedster with twin 400 whackers and the Hardtop fundeck? That was worth the drive. I love eliminator boats and it was awesome to see the shop!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
From a customer standpoint this makes total sense.

From the exhibitors standpoint thats the last thing they want.

If you can see all the stuff you want in one hall how does the guy selling (whatever you arent interested in ) in the furthest empty hall guaranteed to get any foot traffic?

UD

well considering there in totally separate buildings i wonder how many people even knew there were separate buildings? The main hall was packed. There wasnt sufficient signage and reading the map was like reading braile. The cool thing about the show in dtown LA is its all under one roof so you know you have a lot to see. At the fairplext i think a lot was lost. I think it could be a great venue with a couple different design fixes.

Sbarry

Reaction score
I did want to point out to the guys who are worried because they arent buyers that they shouldnt goto shows or talk to manufacturers. How else can you learn?? Its one thing to listen to all the opinion of the RDP guys its completely different to hear it from the mouths of the guys building the boats.

Id give the LA Boatshow a B grade. Lots of stuff to improve on but also had some exciting new stuff. Biggest gripe not enough guys like boat bling and ao coolers and gator step....need more of the little stuff. I had a bunch of money to spend and my wallet stayed in my pants.....Although im buying a bunch of the boatbling product after meeting zach( i didnt want to carry it home with me from the show haha).

The highlight of my day was going to eliminator. Shue gave me and pops a tour of the facility. Got to see Gelcoater at work. The paint guys were spraying a boat. The boats in the shop were amazing. Seeing the cutout 28 speedster with twin 400 whackers and the Hardtop fundeck? That was worth the drive. I love eliminator boats and it was awesome to see the shop!

I wasn't really thinking when I bought a 5 gallon tank of Hot Sauce. 50 pounds from the hall to the truck... I wanted to throw up, and I only did the last half of the walk. My buddy did the first. Haha

Gelcoater

Reaction score

I feel the same way. Would love to see eliminator, but can't afford them so won't go to their shop to look. But at a show I would. But wouldn't talk to anyone cause I'm not a buyer. I feel a lot of people do blow smoke at builders at shows that are actually not looking to buy but just want to talk the game.

You guys, Eliminators open house parties are just that, a little party.
There is zero sales pressure.
Boaters hanging out and taking with like minded folks, with the added perk of being able to see what's new.

It's one thing to see some build pics on the net, it's another to go touch it, talk to the people making it, in some cases talk to the people buying it, etc.
Heck, Dirtbag just had a new Shockwave built, yet he and his pops still stopped in the big E for a look see and a hot dog.:thumbsup

You guys should go to the next one, meet a few RDP peeps, have a burger or dog, and talk boats.:thumbsup

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You guys, Eliminators open house parties are just that, a little party.
There is zero sales pressure.
Boaters hanging out and taking with like minded folks, with the added perk of being able to see what's new.

It's one thing to see some build pics on the net, it's another to go touch it, talk to the people making it, in some cases talk to the people buying it, etc.
Heck, Dirtbag just had a new Shockwave built, yet he and his pops still stopped in the big E for a look see and a hot dog.:thumbsup

You guys should go to the next one, meet a few RDP peeps, have a burger or dog, and talk boats.:thumbsup

It's not like eliminator is far from me. They are oniy about 5-10 min away from our business and pass it from time to time going to a project we have in Perris, and always look to see whats floating. If I'm free when the next open house is happening I'll make an effort to go. Would really like to see how these boat are built.

shueman

Reaction score
Bob Leach just called and they are at the Pomona Show right now ...

jones performance

Reaction score

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
It is. Scott has access to jims old molds. Form what it looks like his build quailty is in line with what a cole was. I was pretty impressed with what I saw

Taboma

Reaction score
It is. Scott has access to jims old molds. Form what it looks like his build quailty is in line with what a cole was. I was pretty impressed with what I saw

I had to agree there was a strong resemblance to the 250S, didn't realize he had the Cole molds. Not sure who HE even is or anything about this outfit.
I thought somebody previously associated with Carrera had the molds :headscratch:
Interceptor's website references 30 years in the business, I haven't a clue who they are or where they came from.

Checking their Facebook page reveals there are at least a couple very unhappy people making a lot of noise :rolleyes

I'll have to check out their product at the Havasu Boat Show.

So what's the scoop on this operation, I'm only really interested since they're probably got access to the Nighthawk molds as well.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I spoke to him a bit on saturday and i flat out asked him how long he has been in business cause i had never heard of the interceptor brand. He told me 10 years and that the deck they had displayed was #11 out of the mold. That part scared me a little. But still the boat was pretty bitchen from the outside looking in. Didnt get a chance to look at all the rigging and the craftsmanship inside. He also said they used to be in Corona over by Shockwave and have since relocated to Lake Elsinore.

i just read the reviews on facebook.....i wouldnt touch this company with a ten foot pole....sounds eerily similar to OCM or whatever that shitball that was scamming people in havasu last year

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I spoke to him a bit on saturday and i flat out asked him how long he has been in business cause i had never heard of the interceptor brand. He told me 10 years and that the deck they had displayed was #11 out of the mold. That part scared me a little. But still the boat was pretty bitchen from the outside looking in. Didnt get a chance to look at all the rigging and the craftsmanship inside. He also said they used to be in Corona over by Shockwave and have since relocated to Lake Elsinore.

i just read the reviews on facebook.....i wouldnt touch this company with a ten foot pole....sounds eerily similar to OCM or whatever that shitball that was scamming people in havasu last year
Just read the reviews. Sounds like ocm

riverroyal

Reaction score
Dirt bag, your about 13 years late for a 'good' boat show. The LA one used to kick ass.