WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5th wheel hitch and install

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
Looking to purchase 5th wheel hitch and have it installed. Anybody know a reputable location in the South Bay that they can recommend?

Thanks guys.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I ordered mine from eTrailer and installed my own. They are pretty straight forward.
If you aren't interested in doing yourself, any trailer dealer service department could handle it.

Parker Dreamin

Reaction score
I ordered mine from eTrailer and installed my own. They are pretty straight forward.
If you aren't interested in doing yourself, any trailer dealer service department could handle it.

I was looking at E-trailer, viewing the install video and such it does not seem too difficult, saying about 4 hours to install.

Install Quotes I received today.

Northwest RV in Carson said 4-6 hours at $127 = $762

CW Industries (Bill Williams/LB Spring) said $1200. I questioned the high price, Tony said it takes a long time and is difficult. I explained to him another quote and everywhere online states it is a 4-5 hour job - he said not way.

Looks like I will have a weekend project coming up.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
There is two rails that mount in the bed and brackets under to the frame. It isn't too difficult, you just need to get a bit flexible at times to get to the bolts. Two people would make it easier.

I'm pretty handy and I did mine and my airbags in less than a day.

At those quotes, I need to get a business going!! ;)

FlatNv

Reaction score
get a goose neck plate w/flip over ball and buy a 5th wheel adapter. I am changing mine over, tired off lifting the 5th wheel hitch in and out.
but it is pretty easy to install :thumbup:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
get a goose neck plate w/flip over ball and buy a 5th wheel adapter. I am changing mine over, tired off lifting the 5th wheel hitch in and out.
but it is pretty easy to install [emoji106]
I second this. My dad's Truck bed is almost useless as a truck bed 90% of the time cause the hitch is soooo heavy he hates taking it out. Plus, you have 2 types of hitches this way and it really never hurts to have as many ways as possible to connect to the truck.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
If you use your truck for other stuff and want a flat bed when you are not towing look at the B&W Companion system. You install a gooseneck package under the bed and the 5'er hitch drops into a locks into the goose neck mount. When the 5'er hitch is out you have a flat bed. Unless you have a connection the best place to buy the package is probably going to be Amazon. That is where I bought mine. Heavy stuff and free shipping.
Two guys working together can do the install in a day. Two guys and a guy with a screwed up back supervising and supplying beers, make it a day and a half. Can find a pic if you want one...

Parker Dreamin

Reaction score
If you use your truck for other stuff and want a flat bed when you are not towing look at the B&W Companion system. You install a gooseneck package under the bed and the 5'er hitch drops into a locks into the goose neck mount. When the 5'er hitch is out you have a flat bed. Unless you have a connection the best place to buy the package is probably going to be Amazon. That is where I bought mine. Heavy stuff and free shipping.
Two guys working together can do the install in a day. Two guys and a guy with a screwed up back supervising and supplying beers, make it a day and a half. Can find a pic if you want one...

lets see it.

milkmoney

Reaction score
If you don't go with a goose neck , u will regret it.
Check B&W hitches for the amounting hardware for ur truck
Then get the adapter for ur 5th wheel.

U can thank me later. As u will. [emoji202][emoji41]

Edit. As I didn't see FBT post. Exactly enat he said. [emoji106]
Hence: there is a reason farmers/ country people tow their animals and equipment this way

Flynryan

Reaction score
but it is pretty easy to install :thumbup:

I installed mine in my f250. No bulky 5th wheel hitch just a ball that I could easily remove. Dont have the truck anymore so no pics but I do recommend it. Also dont have to worry about the 5th wheel being locked in place and driving off with the trailer falling on the bed of the truck

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Hitch in dodge.jpg

There ya go. Rated to 20k. Turnover ball gooseneck bolts under the bed. Remove goosneck ball, insert square steel post. The 5'er rides on said square post. (picture a vertical stinger receiver in the floor of the bed.)
You drop the 5er onto a solid steel post, lock in into place and torque one bolt. Done. When not towing all you have is hole in the bed and a plastic plug in it.

B&W Hitches.

Parker Dreamin

Reaction score
If you don't go with a goose neck , u will regret it.
Check B&W hitches for the amounting hardware for ur truck
Then get the adapter for ur 5th wheel.

U can thank me later. As u will. [emoji202][emoji41]

Edit. As I didn't see FBT post. Exactly enat he said. [emoji106]
Hence: there is a reason farmers/ country people tow their animals and equipment this way

I really dig this idea- very clean and no big ass 5th wheel hitch.

How safe are the 5th wheel/kingpin to gooseneck adapters?
50242003865__3D199729-32D1-4865-8B17-6B4BCEB27BD3.jpg

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
The gooseneck is a great way to tow trailers that are designed from the frame up to be on a gooseneck hitch. I don't know about the adapters, the people I know that used them for RV's have all gone to the Companion. I do know that many RV manufacturers do not recommend their coaches be pulled with a goose adapter.
I wouldn't pull mine with one. Loads and strains are all different than with the 5'er hitch.
just my opinion...

Your ad here

Reaction score
I really dig this idea- very clean and no big ass 5th wheel hitch.

How safe are the 5th wheel/kingpin to gooseneck adapters?
View attachment 525230

On a light trailer this would work. It will work on a heavy trailer to but the leverage on the 5th wheel pin box will cause cracking and bending. That thing looks about 20" long. Add a 20" leverage pipe to the pin box and add in the forward and backward motion from stop and go for something that wasnt designed as a gooseneck and something has got to give.

HitchCrafters in Costa Mesa does great installs. Depending on what truck you have determines the cost. An air ride Ram is twice the labor than a leaf sprung Ram.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
On a light trailer this would work. It will work on a heavy trailer to but the leverage on the 5th wheel pin box will cause cracking and bending. That thing looks about 20" long. Add a 20" leverage pipe to the pin box and add in the forward and backward motion from stop and go for something that wasnt designed as a gooseneck and something has got to give.

HitchCrafters in Costa Mesa does great installs. Depending on what truck you have determines the cost. An air ride Ram is twice the labor than a leaf sprung Ram.

Agree, this is what I was getting at but explained more clearly. I have seen a couple of 5'ers bend using goose neck adapters. I have pulled hay trailers and stock trailers in the past with a goose neck plate designed to lock onto bed rails, these work fine...but you have rails in the truck forever. the turnover ball is the ideal gooseneck and the Companion the ideal 5er hitch IMHO...

Your ad here

Reaction score
Rails arent really that bad. If anything they are a convenience. Tie down point in the middle of the bed and provide support in the middle of the bed. I get all uses out of mine. The key for the hitch is to get a 2 piece unit. One where the head can be removed from the lets say 5th wheel arms. That way its movable by one person after its disassembled. I have this hitch https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/Reese/RP30051.html and can get it in and out of my truck easily with my floss size arms.

Dylan

Reaction score
I just installed the B&W companion in my truck. Great hitch and system, self installed. Lots of people go with the gooseneck and Andersen Ultimate gooseneck pyramid. If I had a long bed, I would have gone that route. Good luck.