WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GSD

Frankenmax

Reaction score
I adopted a retired GSD from a service member several years ago. I acquired him due to a technicality. His previous owner was forced to give him up due to HOA rules. They bought a new home that did not allow Apollo. My parents had Japanese Akita when I was growing up. She saved my life more than once. In college I got bridle English mastiff he was my buddy. He humped roommates pillow every chance he had. lol But Apollo is special he's the guardian of my sanctuary. I travel for work, I work six moths out of the year one week on one week off. So when I'm not home he takes care of the home front. For several months now I've seen Apollo's age catching up with him. He's slowed down, hips and what not. We use to hike mountains and run for miles, now my kids ware him out around the house. With the recent loss of my wife's my dog I can't help but feel that his time is near how near who knows, his age is unknown. It kills me, he means so much to my boys. He sleeps in there room, refuses to leave there presents. Long story short I've been pondering getting another one before he goes. But I'm torn, due to my wife's loss. I don't want be insensitive but Apollo gives me pice of mind. I own guns but they dot have ears you know what I mean. Plus my wife would never pull the trigger. For that matter who knows if Apollo would give it his all ether. I'm torn for sure, I do know this I'd wait till late winter or spring to make a move. Any thoughts, wisdom if you will?

IMG_0035.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 9 20 59 PM.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A lot of times bringing in a younger dog can really big back a sparkle in an older one of they aren't already too old. I'd say talk to your wife first, but getting another dog is definitely a good thing for your family and having a new dog before Apollo passes would ease that pain for the kids.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
I know it's tough to go through first hand but I wouldn't get a new dog until Apollo is gone. He doesn't need the stress of a new dog around. Try this product before you do anything it will turn Apollo back into a puppy. Our lab Sara was diagnosed with cancer the first week In May. She one day stopped eating for a few days so my wife took her to the vet. They ran also sorts of test, they came back the next day and told us she had cancerous masses in her chest. The Vet said there is nothing we can do she is 11 1/2 and she will be gone in a week or so to just keep her comfortable. As you can imagine we were devastated. I called my cousin who are huge dog people and told them. They said we know your feelings on pot but hear us out. There's a product called Canna-pet that is basically Mariana for dogs. I stopped them in there tracks and said I love my dog but I'm not going to jail over this shit. They said it is perfectly legal and the the Judge she works for gives it to his dogs and that they had seen the first hand result. My wife got on there website and checked it out, we ordered the drops, pills & biscuits and over nighted them. We put the drops in her mouth the next day and within a few hours she was inhailing her food. Within a day she was acting like a puppy again, we hadn't seen her like this in years. Sara was like a new dog again, unfortunately you cannot stop the growth of cancer and we lot Sara in July, but thanks to Canna-pet we were able to keep her for an extra very comfortable 2 1/2 months. Give it a shot before you do anything else and let's us know how it works for Apollo. I'm about the biggest anti drug guy on the planet so for me to endorse something like this is huge. https://canna-pet.com

Enen

Reaction score
Awesome dog. I would like to get a dog like Apollo. The need for me to travel has recently increased significantly. A trained German to safeguard my home is something I am very interested in.

Demoman

Reaction score
I would wait on getting a puppy and let Apollo continue to be top dog around the house. A young dog may stress him out as he gets older and starts slowing down. A new puppy would take a lot of attention away from Apollo and may make him feel like he is being replaced.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I adopted a retired GSD from a service member several years ago. I acquired him due to a technicality. His previous owner was forced to give him up due to HOA rules. They bought a new home that did not allow Apollo. My parents had Japanese Akita when I was growing up. She saved my life more than once. In college I got bridle English mastiff he was my buddy. He humped roommates pillow every chance he had. lol But Apollo is special he's the guardian of my sanctuary. I travel for work, I work six moths out of the year one week on one week off. So when I'm not home he takes care of the home front. For several months now I've seen Apollo's age catching up with him. He's slowed down, hips and what not. We use to hike mountains and run for miles, now my kids ware him out around the house. With the recent loss of my wife's my dog I can't help but feel that his time is near how near who knows, his age is unknown. It kills me, he means so much to my boys. He sleeps in there room, refuses to leave there presents. Long story short I've been pondering getting another one before he goes. But I'm torn, due to my wife's loss. I don't want be insensitive but Apollo gives me pice of mind. I own guns but they dot have ears you know what I mean. Plus my wife would never pull the trigger. For that matter who knows if Apollo would give it his all ether. I'm torn for sure, I do know this I'd wait till late winter or spring to make a move. Any thoughts, wisdom if you will?

View attachment 526210

View attachment 526211
Man, I can sure identify with what you have posted.
Had a GS as a kid, she was a great dog.

I'm on the fence as to should you or shouldn't you get another before he's gone. On one hand I saw my own old girl Maxie get that renewed spark when we brought into the home our first Doberman puppy. It really did her some good.
On the other hand I can understand those who think to wait so he doesn't feel replaced and he gets all the attention he no doubt deserves and earned and doesn't feel replaced.
Tough call.

I can also really, Really identify with your concerns on security. Our first Doberman died 2 months ago.
She was very security minded, and I couldn't have asked for a better temperament as far as interaction with my two daughters. Fortunately we do have another here as a set of ears and loud mouth although he's just a big dork. My youngest kid is old enough now to have some experience at the range so there is that.:thumbsup
My wife commented just the other day she doesn't feel as secure since Daisy is gone.
It might be getting close to time for us to start looking for another but that girl will be hard to replace.

Are you considering another GS?
I would start your research now on breeders, reputable breeders. It won't be a cheap dog. You want a breeder who titles and works their dogs and does the proper health testing, eyes, hips, elbo, cardio and any other known GS specific health issues.
Is a lesson I learned the hard way. If you take nothing else away from this post, take this. There is nothing more heart breaking than losing a dog prematurely due to genetic health issues that could have been avoided by not buying a cheap byb dog.

Wishing your family the best, one day I hope to see you posting pics of the new member.

Frankenmax

Reaction score
Wow is all I can say, you folks are great. I posted this last night not expecting much of a response. I was venting my frustrations. I have more to consider now than ever. Apollo knows he's top dog, he doesn't push to hard to prove it. He's Confident but his best quality is his mind. You can watch him make decisions. I've seen him show mercy and restraint. You can't teach a dog that. To replace him would cost me over 50k easy. That would be tough to swallow. To be honest I feel we held him back. He had a lot of work still left in him. It was tough some times to keep him stimulated. I learned a lot and I'm better for knowing him. He trained me. Lol However I'm not sure I want another with the same drive. Every GSD wants to be top dog, but very few are top gun. Dogs like Apollo are so refined and poses certain traits that make them great for real work. But these same traits can make them horrible house pets. I got lucky with Apollo he handles pet life well. I will get another GSD for sure. I'll stick with the working line as well. I don't want an animal that's all show and no go. I have a breeder in mind but I'm still researching it.
http://vombanachk9.com/german-shepherd-working-line-breeders/

As for the canna pet meds. There's some personal logistics to work out. I'd get a friend to get them and ship them to me. lol The reason being my security clearance. I use to work with nuclear stuff. If I wanted to go back to it I don't want to compromise the clearance.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Wow is all I can say, you folks are great. I posted this last night not expecting much of a response. I was venting my frustrations. I have more to consider now than ever. Apollo knows he's top dog, he doesn't push to hard to prove it. He's Confident but his best quality is his mind. You can watch him make decisions. I've seen him show mercy and restraint. You can't teach a dog that. To replace him would cost me over 50k easy. That would be tough to swallow. To be honest I feel we held him back. He had a lot of work still left in him. It was tough some times to keep him stimulated. I learned a lot and I'm better for knowing him. He trained me. Lol However I'm not sure I want another with the same drive. Every GSD wants to be top dog, but very few are top gun. Dogs like Apollo are so refined and poses certain traits that make them great for real work. But these same traits can make them horrible house pets. I got lucky with Apollo he handles pet life well. I will get another GSD for sure. I'll stick with the working line as well. I don't want an animal that's all show and no go. I have a breeder in mind but I'm still researching it.
http://vombanachk9.com/german-shepherd-working-line-breeders/

As for the canna pet meds. There's some personal logistics to work out. I'd get a friend to get them and ship them to me. lol The reason being my security clearance. I use to work with nuclear stuff. If I wanted to go back to it I don't want to compromise the clearance.
There's a great many people here that are dog friendly, and I know several boat mfgs that are also.
I posted a thread here in October when my red Dobergirl passed, the empathy and support from members here was emotionally overwhelming. I'm thankful to a great many here for their words of support. :thumbsup

rvrrun

Reaction score
Dogs are the best! I wish, on my best day, I was as good a person as a dog. Did anyone see the documentary on PBS? Dogs, naked apes, have evolved along side each other for so long that studies have been proven that they watch our eyes and know what we are thinking and feeling.

Cats haven't been domesticated as long, they're still assholes.

Frankenmax

Reaction score
Dogs are the best! I wish, on my best day, I was as good a person as a dog. Did anyone see the documentary on PBS? Dogs, naked apes, have evolved along side each other for so long that studies have been proven that they watch our eyes and know what we are thinking and feeling.

Cats haven't been domesticated as long, they're still assholes.

I can agree with that. Also mmmmmoma always said cats are the devil!