WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4th Gen Ram HD thread

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I know there's been a few threads in here from those of us who have (and had) these trucks, both gas and diesel... I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here and other forums in preparation for a (mild, budget) build on my '16 2500, just thought id see what everyone else is doing (or has done...) my rig is pretty much stock for now, just picked up some 18x9 XD wheels, and am tire shopping at the moment, looking at Toyo AT or RT in 35x12.5R18 or 295/70R18, among other sizes and brands... Over the next year or two, would like to add extra diesel capacity, some bumpers and armor, and some suspension goodies from Thuren or Carli... Just looking to do some mild trails, while still keeping it usable as a truck, that sees DD and towing duties... What are the inmates running on their Rams?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I know there's been a few threads in here from those of us who have (and had) these trucks, both gas and diesel... I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here and other forums in preparation for a (mild, budget) build on my '16 2500, just thought id see what everyone else is doing (or has done...) my rig is pretty much stock for now, just picked up some 18x9 XD wheels, and am tire shopping at the moment, looking at Toyo AT or RT in 35x12.5R18 or 295/70R18, among other sizes and brands... Over the next year or two, would like to add extra diesel capacity, some bumpers and armor, and some suspension goodies from Thuren or Carli... Just looking to do some mild trails, while still keeping it usable as a truck, that sees DD and towing duties... What are the inmates running on their Rams?

I know Sage Carli and have met Don Thuren at some DTX gatherings a while back.
I'm a Carli homer and would absolutely recommend going with a full Carli setup, though you can't go wrong with either.

Before I sold it, I was running 2.5-inch Kings, prototype custom valving for the fronts, and triple-bypasses in back with bypass tubes from 3-inch shocks.
I've seen what the Carli guys did to their trucks, I've ridden with them when they were doing it...I'd never mob my truck quite as hard as they did, but it was nice knowing that I could.

It all comes down to cost - how much you're willing to spend.
I will tell you that 18's ride much worse than 17's even with the best Carli/Thuren setup.
I would go with a complete Carli 2.5-inch King setup including full spring replacement...quite literally, I'd put nearly everything they made for your truck, on your truck.

I helped evaluate their 2.0 shocks (Bilstein Backcountry, Commuter Kings) and wasn't happy with either.
You'll get a much better ride and control with the 2.5's...the 3.0's ride even better on-road and off, but I couldn't justify the added cost.

If you need to tow, their long-travel airbags are the shit.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, been spending some time on DTX and elsewhere... The 3rd/4th gens with leaf spring rears can be built to do some wild shit. I'm not looking for anything "boogie rated," just some mild stuff here and there. I don't have the budget for a full Carli setup with kings, so I'm planning a build in stages, front coils/bumps/shocks/track bar, followed by rear track bar/shocks/bumps , and steering... I'm not going to be thrashing a new truck, and dont want to toss my warranty completely out the window in the first few years... I'm afraid to change rear coils, the truck already sits with my Toyhauler as it is, and I don't really want to deal with bags and/or cradles unless I really need them. I figure I'll take the truck off-road a bit before I make any drastic changes, I'm not looking to end up with a snow-ball moneypit, I can take my SXS on the narley stuff- or build a dedicated crawler, I just want to get out on the weekends and see some sights...

On the wheel and tire side, I stuck with 18's for stability while towing, my trucks main purpose is towing my toyhauler, over half the miles it racks up are dragging something down the interstate.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
2500 Cummins, 4x4, crew cab long bed, 4in BDS lift, fuel 18x9, toyo rt 35x12, nfab steps. Originally was going to do bumpers and grill but now I may be over it, If I end up doing they will be fusion - powder coated then painted

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
MYV, how you like the RT's? Remember your rig from other threads on here, anything you would do differently? I know your truck tows and gets worked quite a bit... Looked at the fusion stuff myself... Nice, but $$$$ though, what isn't for these rigs?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
MYV, how you like the RT's? Remember your rig from other threads on here, anything you would do differently? I know your truck tows and gets worked quite a bit... Looked at the fusion stuff myself... Nice, but $$$$ though, what isn't for these rigs?

Love the RTs, just got 2nd set couple weeks ago. Got almost 55k out of first set IMG_1212.jpg
No issues as of yet, the only thing about these trucks I don't like is the mirrors, when in normal position passenger side mirror is damn near useless. Other than that, love it :thumbsup

Oh ya I also removed all the dodge badges on the sides and back other than the hideous ram on tail gate that has holes so not an easy take off

pronstar

Reaction score
We sold all of our toys once I got my truck suspension dialed in. Way more comfy than a SxS LOL!

It was cool pulling a 42-foot toyhauler, unhooking it, then off-roading the tow vehicle. I should have done it this way from the beginning LOL

Post pics of your buildup!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Please excuse the hijack..

Hey Pronstar I just started a thread like this for 3rd gen trucks. Working on my new to me 07 getting it set to tow.
I will, at some point, probably do a leveling kit on it, don't like the nose down look. I've looked at Thuren and Carli. I'd really appreciate your take on my truck on that thread, I don't want to compromise the ride quality so it will be springs not spacers...the idea of custom valved shocks just for my needs is very interesting..

pronstar

Reaction score
Sure thing. I'm not sure I've seen your thread can you post a link to it?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
About to order tires.... Leaning Cooper ST maxx 305/70R18, would like to run Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5R18 load range F but $315+ per tire has me leaning Cooper... Need something load rating 125+ if I want Discount to mount em, or else I'd be using Toyo RT... Any suggestions?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
About to order tires.... Leaning Cooper ST maxx 305/70R18, would like to run Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5R18 load range F but $315+ per tire has me leaning Cooper... Need something load rating 125+ if I want Discount to mount em, or else I'd be using Toyo RT... Any suggestions?

Cooper st maxx is also an E rated tire not F, I can't find anything stating load index on toyos, but if nitto's scared you off with price toyos are typically more.
The load difference between an E and F are about the same. How ever an F can air up even higher making for an even stiffer ride.

Any of those tires on a 1ton are more than enough to handle gvwr plus max load amount and still have room to spare. Discounts prob blowing smoke up your ass, they likely get better discount or kickbacks from tires other than toyo.

If you like coopers go with coopers, problem solved ;)

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
On the tire and wheel side, ended up with 18x9 XD Addict wheels with 325/65 18 Toyo AT2s through discount... They were in stock, the Nittos were too rich for my blood and the Coopers were on back order... Truck looks and rides great...

What's out there for f/r bumpers that don't break the bank? I would prefer a winch capable bumper up front. Clearance is important but main priority is protection in a low speed fender bender during the Rush hour commute... Would like to be into a pair (F/R) for 2 grand or under for just the bumpers...

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Bringing this to the top. Ran the 16 up until Feb. Good truck, loved the Thuren suspension, hated the rear coils. SO Cummins/ 68RFE was Solid, but always gave me some concern in the back of my mind.

325/65R18 were great, threw a set of AT3 on before I sold it. Night and day over the AT2. Best tires ive ever ran, and I’ve had em all.

Sold the Ram to downsize and ended up in a Tacoma. Hated the tacoma.

Shopped for/ wanted to order a new ‘21/22 Ram 3500. I’m not paying MSRP, and I’m not comfortable with no delivery date.

Went to Vroom to sell the taco. Sold my 2500 to them in feb. Looked through the listings, and saw the unicorn.

2017 3500 Mega SRW. HO Cummins/ Aisin. Rear air, Laramie, leather with bench seat, and all of the updates I’d add. Method NV HDs, Nitto 35s, Fox remote resi shocks. AMP steps. Retrax power Tonno. One owner 30k miles.

Truck was delivered today. Huntington Beach truck, built and serviced right. I’m going to add some of my own touches, Thuren suspension, S&B 50 gallon fuel tank, full service and all new fluids, that kind of stuff. But the truck is solid.

First thoughts, Cummins SO/ 68RFE vs HO/ Aisin… driving them feels very similar. I don’t notice the harshness I’ve read about the Aisin. It’s smooth. Exhaust brake is more aggressive on the Aisin truck. 1-2 shift and lower gears is more noticeable on the Aisin truck. If you’re trying to “hot rod” the 68RFE truck bangs off the shifts quicker and is probably a little quicker. The Aisin appears to get worse mileage but I haven’t hand calc’d yet.

Anyone out there have a catalytic converter/ DPF that doesn’t work? That I can have? Asking for a friend.

Overall, im impressed. The air ride 3500 is light years better than the 2500. I wouldn’t have another coil 2500 truck if It was free. Well maybe if it was free.

Pics of the new ride:
53630DAF-9495-480C-A700-E20F1C7779FA.jpeg
1189F7F4-DBDD-4C15-8570-A62EE9EE62E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Had the new Ram for almost a year, and love it. Just did a full service, every filter and fluid except for brake fluid and coolant. Truck is running great. Filters for one change and fluids for two were almost a grand, but I was happy to find them. They have been out of stock for months. Adding some Thuren parts and an S&B 52g tank as soon as the bank account allows.

Looking forward to dragging the new fiver to munds park for Memorial Day, except for fuel prices. All of my neighbors with furds are talking shit. I will have the last laugh when they replace their injection pumps, lol.

7302966D-4587-4222-9C32-CE25D2F217C8.jpeg
378AF7B7-675F-4F85-99AD-5D4EE9AB90DB.jpeg

Edit: 40,500 miles now. Truck looked great when servicing it, no leaks or issues. Can’t wait to continue the upgrades. MEGA is definitely worth it over the CC, and I wouldn’t have another 2500 if you gave it to me.

Fit a full-size 35” spare under this rig too, no way in hell on a 2500-even deflated.

Took me about 6 hours for the full service, not nearly as bad as I’ve read about.

Edit: did the fuel filters last night. Read horror stories on the interwebs. Wasn’t bad at all. Get some 3/8 fuel line and drain them first. Easy PZ. Service wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. Last truck was under warranty so I had the dealer do the oil change and fuel filters. Prices are out of hand. For the cost of a full service at the dealer I got enough parts and fluids for two changes. Bought the socket, wrench, and oil filter cap from genos, made the job much easier.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Thoughts on SO/68RFE VS HD/ Aisin. The SO is definitely a quicker shifting better choice for those who don’t tow heavy or want to race from light to light.

This HO is a beast. And you can tell. Slower but stronger shifts, and stronger exhaust brake. Even my furd driving buddies complement the exhaust brake. With tow/ haul on, can decel to 35 no issues to piss off the tailgaters.

If I wanted a DD that didn’t tow much or wanted to build a hotrod and had 10k for trans upgrades laying around, the SO wouldn’t be a bad choice.

Roosky01

Reaction score
When I had my duramax, the best mod I did was to install a below the rail auxiliary fuel tank in the bed covered by a tonneau cover that I spliced into the fuel neck. I filled up the factory tank with on-road and filled the tank in the bed with off-road.

I ran out of fuel with that truck more than once since I could get 1600 miles out of a visit to the station and would forget to look at the fuel gauge all the damn time.😉

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
When I had my duramax, the best mod I did was to install a below the rail auxiliary fuel tank in the bed covered by a tonneau cover that I spliced into the fuel neck. I filled up the factory tank with on-road and filled the tank in the bed with off-road.

I ran out of fuel with that truck more than once since I could get 1600 miles out of a visit to the station and would forget to look at the fuel gauge all the damn time.😉
My retractable Tonno takes up the space the tank would. Or else I’d have one. But this Tonno is so nice. I hit the remote and my buddies just shake their heads.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Rear air ride: I like it, but for anyone who actually off-roads their truck, get the standard suspension and upgrade it with springs and bags.

It rides well, but only has about 5” of travel.

If I ever have issues I’ll replace it with thuren springs and long travel bags.

That being said, it doesn’t even notice my small 5er and doesn’t sag a bit with 2500 pounds on the pin.

It also doesn’t drop when I choose “alt trailer height” my trailer isn’t heavy enough.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Tires: ran 325/65R18 AT2 and AT3 on the last truck. The AT3 were exceptional, but I only put about 7500 on em before I traded.

New truck has 20” methods and 35x12.5R20 Nitto terra grappler G2s. Not a bad setup, load range “F”, but I prefer the 18’s and AT3s. These 20s run well deflated to 50f/45 or 40r, but not as much bump compliance. I’ll take it for more support when towing. But if I could have my preference I’d go 18’s all day.

Icky

Reaction score
Tires: ran 325/65R18 AT2 and AT3 on the last truck. The AT3 were exceptional, but I only put about 7500 on em before I traded.

New truck has 20” methods and 35x12.5R20 Nitto terra grappler G2s. Not a bad setup, load range “F”, but I prefer the 18’s and AT3s. These 20s run well deflated to 50f/45 or 40r, but not as much bump compliance. I’ll take it for more support when towing. But if I could have my preference I’d go 18’s all day.
The metric sizes in Toyos have a higher weight per tire rating then the standards for some reason.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The metric sizes in Toyos have a higher weight per tire rating then the standards for some reason.
The load range “F” Toyos and Nittos get pretty close, at 3640. Some of the metric sizes get up to 4080. The 37x13.50R17 Toyo MT is 4300.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Got another rotate and balance yesterday. Pro tip: even if you don’t buy your tires at Discount you can add the road hazard and rotate and balance package. I like to rotate every 2500- 5000 miles. Deflated them to 52f 48r, rides great towing my buddies 24’ boat. Truck is running better than ever. Absolutely no mega cab vibration I’ve read about. Threw some Powerservice Diesel Kleen in to keep the injection pump and injectors happy. Wash and wax before it gets too hot. Love this truck. Would love it even more if it was deleted. Lol. Picked up the kiddos today with the boat in tow and headed straight to the lake. They had no idea.
D0DC7C55-BADB-47B9-840D-85D5971E4CFF.jpeg

adam909

Reaction score
good looking truck.. I have a 18 that bought in 19 once I found out they where using the cp4 on the new rams I scrambled to find a new 4th gen that luckly i found a dealer had one. I think the biggest weakness in our trucks is going to be emmisions. Hopefully ill never run into a issue.

What size lift are you running? 2.5?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
It appears to be a 2” spacer with fox 2.0 remote res shocks all around. Rear is factory air. At some point I’ll do 2” thuren springs up front with his track bar and some fox IFPs or 2.0 remote res shocks depending on what’s available.

I haven’t had any emissions related issues on this truck or my 16, I agree that is probably the biggest issue we will face with these trucks- but it appears to be pretty reliable compared to some of the newer trucks from any manufacturer. I think they had a pretty good handle on the trucks by 16-18.