WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How do People live without Machines?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I have been having this problem where the rear axles keep throwing cv boots on my ranger. Eric and I get to looking at it and figure out the groove is way undersized for the boot which is why it keeps slipping off.

IMG_6528.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6530.jpg

easy five minute fix.. but what the F would you even do about something like that without a lathe?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So last night I tell Stacy I'm finally going to hang the tv in our bedroom.. I open up the wall mount kit and it came with every kind of screw imaginable except the #6 screws they fit my tv. I go dig around in my shop and find four #6 screws but they are too long. It's midnight and I want the tv on the wall. Machine up four billet spacers (basically thick washers) and back in business.

I think every household in america should have some basic machining abilities. I think society would be better off for it as well.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You can get pretty creative when you have to with a grinder/file/cut off wheel.

Hell even the Dremel gets used a lot in my world.

I hear ya though, we would be better off again if everyone had some mechanical common sense ;):thumbsup

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don't always have the "right" tool for the job but I usually have something I can make work [emoji4] I just wish I could learn more. We need some sort of classes in school. Even drivers ed. No idea how that and shop got cut out [emoji107]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So I have been having this problem where the rear axles keep throwing cv boots on my ranger. Eric and I get to looking at it and figure out the groove is way undersized for the boot which is why it keeps slipping off.

easy five minute fix.. but what the F would you even do about something like that without a lathe?

Yes sir. Nice work.

Everyone else has to take it to someone WITH a lathe. ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
...or you could have shortened the #6's with a pair of crimping pliers. :)

Brian

I thought about cutting the screws.. I could easily part them off in the lathe, or use a dremel or even a set of bolt cutters. I have absolutely nothing metric here though, so I was concerned that if I fucked up the starting threads, I'd have no way to fix them and then they wouldn't screw in and I'd be screwed for the night. (pun intended) Hence the spacers.. Plus it only took a few minutes to make them.

RD

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I thought about cutting the screws.. I could easily part them off in the lathe, or use a dremel or even a set of bolt cutters. I have absolutely nothing metric here though, so I was concerned that if I fucked up the starting threads, I'd have no way to fix them and then they wouldn't screw in and I'd be screwed for the night. (pun intended) Hence the spacers.. Plus it only took a few minutes to make them.

RD

So now I think we are talking 6mm...not #6 here....

RD, I expect more from a machinist....:)

getreal

Reaction score
Fixed it for you...
"How do people live without CNC machines?"

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Fixed it for you...
"How do people live without CNC machines?"

Just being devil's advocate here, we won two world wars and put people on the moon with nothing more than slide rules and rooms full of manual machines. :)