WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ultra 21 system upgrades

sandeggo

Reaction score
I just picked up my open bow on Sunday. The head unit was dead so I went and got a Bluetooth kenwood marine deck. Got that wired up so I could hear the speakers. The amp is an infinity kappa 5 digital 4 channel with sub output. Since the old head unit had only 2 rca they had a splitter on the rca's that went to the sub and rear rcas on the amp. I found that out when I could hear mids and highs through the subs.
The speakers are all directed. 2 sets of 6.5" and 2-6x9's. There are 2-12" alpine subs I think. After I switched some stuff around I got it to sound pretty good but there's no fader control due to the splitters now on the rca's to the front and rear, not the sub output.
The plan is to get another amp to drive the subs. Do you guys with multiple amps typically run individual power and ground for each amp or do you run it to a distribution block?
Now the infinity is a 4 channel amp, and my deck has a total of 3 rcas, front, rear, sub. Being that I have 6 speakers would you just use the rear rca for both the rear 6.5"s and the 6x9's?
I used to be really into car audio and have done a lot of custom enclosures and stuff but that was 15 years ago. Forgot a lot of it.
Should I be looking at a mono digital amp for the subs or go with a 2 channel? The subs are by your feet on each side of a walk through so they'd be difficult to wire together.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yes [emoji2]

You should just post this in the lounge. Audio doesn't get much traffic.

sandeggo

Reaction score
Yes [emoji2]

You should just post this in the lounge. Audio doesn't get much traffic.
Well thanks guy. I'll get it figured out I'm sure, you know that.
Say hi to the fam

sandeggo

Reaction score
Well I was way off, dug into it more, and the speakers were way off. I got 5-1/4", 4", and 6x9's. The speakers are all old and I'm going to replace them with kickers. I rewired all the speaker wires and got them connected right. I'm surprised by this amp. It does a good job of driving the subs. The mids and highs aren't so good. Can definitely tell one is blown. I hope it's just not the garage making it sound good.

Flynryan

Reaction score
Dont have much input for you but I have a 02 21' stealth with 2-6x9's in the front near the floor, 2-6x9's in the rear seat down low, 2-tweeters near the driver and passenger seat mounted in the fiberglass, 2-5 1/4's there as well where the cup holders are and 2-12'' subs by the driver and passengers feet and it sounds great. All 3 amps are mounted near the passengers seat in that little cubby area where you could see 1 of the fuel tanks if you were to stick your head in there and look back (if that makes sense). I too use to be into car audio but I didnt install this, I had an audio shop do it. All of the equipment is Clarion marine because I knew someone that worked for them and got a deal.

RCDave

Reaction score
I just picked up my open bow on Sunday. The head unit was dead so I went and got a Bluetooth kenwood marine deck. Got that wired up so I could hear the speakers. The amp is an infinity kappa 5 digital 4 channel with sub output. Since the old head unit had only 2 rca they had a splitter on the rca's that went to the sub and rear rcas on the amp. I found that out when I could hear mids and highs through the subs.
The speakers are all directed. 2 sets of 6.5" and 2-6x9's. There are 2-12" alpine subs I think. After I switched some stuff around I got it to sound pretty good but there's no fader control due to the splitters now on the rca's to the front and rear, not the sub output.
The plan is to get another amp to drive the subs. Do you guys with multiple amps typically run individual power and ground for each amp or do you run it to a distribution block?
Now the infinity is a 4 channel amp, and my deck has a total of 3 rcas, front, rear, sub. Being that I have 6 speakers would you just use the rear rca for both the rear 6.5"s and the 6x9's?
I used to be really into car audio and have done a lot of custom enclosures and stuff but that was 15 years ago. Forgot a lot of it.
Should I be looking at a mono digital amp for the subs or go with a 2 channel? The subs are by your feet on each side of a walk through so they'd be difficult to wire together.

I would run two more sets of RCA's from the head unit to the amplifier. One dedicated to the subs and the other to the rear channel. One to the existing front channel. This way you can adjust sound, EQ, and fader levels from the deck appropriately to the different types of speakers and locations in the boat.

If you get a dedicated sub amp, definately get a class D dedicated subwoofer mono amp. These amps only amplify lower frequencies for subs. Find out what the sub woofer OHM ratings are. This will be key in deciding which amp to purchase to ensure the subs get an appropriate amount of power.

Run a "fused" distribution block near the amps (and make sure the power wire from battery to where the amps are located is also separately fused). Also, ensure the power wires from the batteries to amps are appropriately sized for the amp load. if you see 8 or 10 gauge power wire, I'd upgrade to at least 4 gauge (depending on the length of the run). Maybe even 2 or 1/0 gauge. This way the amps get all the power available as some is lost through resistence of the power wires.

sandeggo

Reaction score
I would run two more sets of RCA's from the head unit to the amplifier. One dedicated to the subs and the other to the rear channel. One to the existing front channel. This way you can adjust sound, EQ, and fader levels from the deck appropriately to the different types of speakers and locations in the boat.

If you get a dedicated sub amp, definately get a class D dedicated subwoofer mono amp. These amps only amplify lower frequencies for subs. Find out what the sub woofer OHM ratings are. This will be key in deciding which amp to purchase to ensure the subs get an appropriate amount of power.

Run a "fused" distribution block near the amps (and make sure the power wire from battery to where the amps are located is also separately fused). Also, ensure the power wires from the batteries to amps are appropriately sized for the amp load. if you see 8 or 10 gauge power wire, I'd upgrade to at least 4 gauge (depending on the length of the run). Maybe even 2 or 1/0 gauge. This way the amps get all the power available as some is lost through resistence of the power wires.

I ran 3 total RCA's from the deck to the amp. The amp actually pushes all the speakers good. Even the subs. I plan to upgrade the subs and run a digital amp in the future, but for right now it's surprisingly good. I'm happy with the kicker 6x9's, 4's, and 5-1/4"s that I put in. I have fader controls. Everything is great. The stereo is fused with a circuit breaker by the batteries.