WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Scope to hunt duck?

EvanHo

Reaction score
It's all there in the title. This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Of course, I also need advice, and that's why I'm here.
What I need is a good rifle scope to hunt duck. Somehow, I have doubts concerning long range scopes. I don't think they are very well suited for such a task but who knows? I'm more of a fisher than a hunter.
I suppose I'm also going to have to get a spotting scope but I've already got that covered. A MINOX MD 50, which is supposed to be one of the best spotting scopes should do it. But that's only one thing I need, and a mounted scope is more important for. By the way, I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in .260 Rem.
Appreciate any advice!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Really?

Are you, uhh, shooting them while they are floating?

If you are a good enough shot to scope something flying...a shotgun should be child's play?

I really do not understand the question, I have been hunting all my life, and never heard of such a thing.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Please tell me you aren't using a .270 Rem to hunt duck.

Stick to fishing.

This has to be a joke, right?

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Anything from the Swarovski line up should work huh? [emoji848]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think you want to shoot duck and other birds with a spray arrangement type bullet (shotgun or?), otherwise you'd just blow a hole in them?

Never heard of doing it with a scope before, but I'm not a hunter.. That said, some bread and a slingshot will work in a pinch if you're hungry for duck. :D

RD

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I think you want to shoot duck and other birds with a spray arrangement type bullet (shotgun or?), otherwise you'd just blow a hole in them?

Never heard of doing it with a scope before, but I'm not a hunter.. That said, some bread and a slingshot will work in a pinch if you're hungry for duck. :D

RD

Blow a hole in them?

I think the idea is more, after it passes through a soon to be dead duck, a bullet could travel with enough velocity and mass to make the guy hunting on the other side of that dead duck, pretty damn dead too. :)

Brian

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Blow a hole in them?

I think the idea is more the bullet could travel with enough velocity and mass, after it passes through a soon to be dead duck, to make the guy hunting on the other side of that dead duck, pretty damn dead too. :)

Brian

Then there's that..

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Then there's that..

Yes sir,

Lower kinetic energy projectiles, and more of them, to kill a low body mass water fowl versus the energy and mass needed to kill a much larger mammal.

Groper

Reaction score
The OP is asking if there are scopes available for a Shotgun, I believe he is just using his Tikka T3 Hunter in .260 Rem as a reference, or not haha :eek and yes you can use a scope on a shotgun, most are used for close range Deer hunting when using a Slug.

Here is one a Leupold VX-1 Shotgun Scope that would work for Ducks/Geese as the range is 75yrds which is perfect.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...7IcTbsiR2B1Qm5P5b5XSkxoCSY7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Never in my life have I heard such a thing as hunting a flying waterfowl with a scoped weapon. By the time you located it in the scope, it's gone out of range.

And hunting them with a high powered rifle is illegal, unsafe, and crazy.:skull

The OP is out for some grins or not familiar with duck hunting is my thought.:rolleyes